U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to Arlington within a couple of months and I'm wondering if there's a better part to consider . I have looked at an apt about a mile and half from Ballston metro and 1 closer to Pentagon city metro. I'd appreciate some tips on the advantages of one part to the other... Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM
 
227 posts, read 344,365 times
Reputation: 72
North arlIngton
Ballston
Clarendon
Courthouse

Or Pentagon Row
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 AM
 
2,670 posts, read 4,520,203 times
Reputation: 2117
Either is fine. Where will you be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Either is fine. Where will you be working?

NE DC. Thx for your response. I like the Clarendon area and according to mapquest pentagon city is abt 3 miles away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
 
7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
Reputation: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurev View Post
Hi All,

I will be moving to Arlington within a couple of months and I'm wondering if there's a better part to consider . I have looked at an apt about a mile and half from Ballston metro and 1 closer to Pentagon city metro. I'd appreciate some tips on the advantages of one part to the other... Thanks a lot
If you're in your twenties, then you'll enjoy Ballston as it is part of a younger professional social hub in the Arlington neighborhoods along the Orange Metro line that reaches its peak at Clarendon. Assuming you will be riding the Metro, it will be a relatively shorter ride to NE DC.

Pentagon City is in an apparently underrated area of Arlington that has a lot of restaurant and retail options going on there. It's a broader mix of ages at those establishments compared to "Orange Line" Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
If you're in your twenties, then you'll enjoy Ballston as it is part of a younger professional social hub in the Arlington neighborhoods along the Orange Metro line that reaches its peak at Clarendon. Assuming you will be riding the Metro, it will be a relatively shorter ride to NE DC.

Pentagon City is in an apparently underrated area of Arlington that has a lot of restaurant and retail options going on there. It's a broader mix of ages at those establishments compared to "Orange Line" Arlington.

Yes, I'm in my twenties (mid-late). I will sometimes be in SE as well. Still looking..hoping to find sth by the end of next month, really don't want to exceed 1500 so it seems the Pentagon city area will be more attainable. The Clarendon area seems more expensive, unless I get lucky with one of the condos. Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM
 
2,633 posts, read 3,055,854 times
Reputation: 1675
If you're working in NE/SE DC, then Pentagon City will be a much better commute. From there you can take the Yellow line directly into NE, and transfer to the Green line to get to SE.
The Orange line from Clarendon gets extremely busy during rush hour and will add around 30 minutes to your commute.
The Pentagon/Crystal City area has a decent nightlife, but from there you're very close to any other place in the area worth seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: among the clustered spires
2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
Reputation: 869
$1500 a month will be tough in Orange Line Arlington, unless you are ok with a roommate or can find something off of Craigslist (someone's basement or MIL suite.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM
 
227 posts, read 344,365 times
Reputation: 72
Park Adams Apartments For Rent in Arlington, Virginia - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
If you're working in NE/SE DC, then Pentagon City will be a much better commute. From there you can take the Yellow line directly into NE, and transfer to the Green line to get to SE.
The Orange line from Clarendon gets extremely busy during rush hour and will add around 30 minutes to your commute.
The Pentagon/Crystal City area has a decent nightlife, but from there you're very close to any other place in the area worth seeing.

Thanks... I didn't know abt the commute diff on the orange and yellow.. I'll drive to work most times but I'd like to have the option to take the metro sometimes.

I figure if I want the Clarendon nightlife I could cab, it'd just be 3-5 miles away anyway..

Thanks 'Smoke_Jaguar4'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top