U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,449 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Northern Va at the end of November or first of December. I will be working at Quantico. I am looking for a nice, safe, friendly place to live. My baby will only be 1 month old when I move. I have been to Stafford one time and not really familiar with the city. I will also need a daycare close to Quantico. I am looking to rent a 2br townhouse or apartment for no more than $1400. I saw a location in dumfries that was pretty interesting but need more feedback as far as commute time and nice neighborhoods. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPOSSIBLE2011 View Post
I will be relocating to Northern Va at the end of November or first of December. I will be working at Quantico. I am looking for a nice, safe, friendly place to live. My baby will only be 1 month old when I move. I have been to Stafford one time and not really familiar with the city. I will also need a daycare close to Quantico. I am looking to rent a 2br townhouse or apartment for no more than $1400. I saw a location in dumfries that was pretty interesting but need more feedback as far as commute time and nice neighborhoods. Please help
I highly suggest to stay north of Quantico because you will have a reverse commute (i.e. hardly any backups). If you live in Stafford you will have to slug the I-95 traffic going North in the morning, and South in the afternoon, which is almost stop and go every day

Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,083,065 times
I recommend the neighborhood of Montclair to everyone. From there, you can be to Quantico in no more than 15 minutes. There is a Kindercare daycare center right in the neighborhood and, I'm sure, quite a few in-home day care options. They have a mixture of single family homes and townhomes and it is generally a very affordable, nice neighborhood. As another poster said, go somewhere north of Quantico for a reverse commute.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM

664 posts, read 1,618,918 times
Yes, I have several friends that live in Montclair and love it! Many of them work (or their spouses work) on Quantico.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,838,333 times
Where in Dumfries was this rental? There are some neighborhoods in Dumfries that you HAVE to stay out of. I agree with staying north for the easier commute. Montclair is a good option.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:26 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,054,922 times
If you work at Quantico, see if you qualify for the Child Development Center. Rates are based on your income and are usually much more affordable than off-post.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 AM

6 posts, read 5,759 times
I live just South of Quantico off of US-1 near Aquia Harbor. The traffic going North in the morning and South in the afternoon is a breeze for me.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,859,685 times
Montclair/Fair Lakes is generally a very good area. I'd also argue that having a daycare close to home is probably valuable-- you may be sick, want a day off of work to shop, etc. But if you can get it cheaper near work then that makes up for other factor.s

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM

41 posts, read 64,891 times
i second Aquia Harbor/Stafford. it's only a 5min drive to work for me in the morning on Rt 1, and it's an affordable area. i travel north on the weekends to do all my errands/shopping, although the Stafford shopping center has a ton of great stores all in one place. the Montclair area is very nice (nicer than Stafford), and it's true the reverse traffic is helpful, it's just a little harder finding something available that's affordable. either way, you're looking into the correct areas for Quantico. best of luck!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,449 times
Thanks for all the advice! It is really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia