U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 PM

518 posts, read 869,612 times

Advertisements

I love the Bay Area. You should also consider the East Bay, parts of Berkeley and Oakland are very beautiful. You could also live further east, but look for areas near the BART for easy, car-free travel.

If you like California contemporary homes, there are many beautiful "Eichler Homes" both in the South Bay (Silicon Valley), and the East Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM

602 posts, read 962,576 times
My husband and his family are from the bay area--but more Walnut Creek/Concord area.

He and his siblings attended private, Catholic high school. De La Salle for the boys and Carondelet for the girls. The two schools are across the street from each other and they often work together--combining classes and such. More than 20 years later, they still rave about their high school experience and my husband even wants to move back there when our boys are HS age so they can attend De La Salle.

My college roommate was from Sunnyvale and attended Cupertino high school...but that was a loooooooong time ago

Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM

799 posts, read 699,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Are you serious? A $200K per year annual income is NOT enough in the bay area? OMG :-(
It's enough if you had more equity. The problem will be how much real estate costs (including property taxes) will cut into your income as well as private school.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM

690 posts, read 787,311 times
I'd do more research. Look up houses for sale in the California neighborhoods you think you want to live in so you can get an idea of the cost. Look up recent sales in your current neighborhood are so you have a realistic idea of what you may get for your house.

I agree with Caladium. I wouldn't move anywhere until I had a job offer.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,341,108 times
We lived in Mountain View for a few years and husband is from the SF Bay Area. With that income I would move back in a heartbeat. I love Leesburg, I really do, but I wouldn't hesitate a second if an opportunity came to move back (we really, really tried this past spring but it didn't happen).

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,006,645 times
well heck, the more people move outta here the better the traffic situation will be, so I say go for it man

Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM

4,247 posts, read 3,969,410 times
I would be very reluctant to move to such an incredibly expensive place without a very well-paying job. If you've decided this is what you want, I think it would be wise to at least nail down a job before you move your family out there. And that will make it easier to get a mortgage as well.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,281,037 times
If you're making $200K here perhaps you'd make even more there. Salaries in silicon valley tend to be higher than here in NoVA as companies recognize they have to compensate for the higher real estate costs. I think you'll do fine but would advise you rent for awhile before you figure out exactly where you want to settle. Los Altos (near Palo Alto) is another nice area around there you should check out.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM

918 posts, read 828,673 times
I think the first step would be for you and your wife to apply to jobs in that area and see what kind of offers you get before you move. I think its a bit too risky to both quit your job, sell your house and pack your life thousands of miles away without anything else but the 'hope' to improve your social life

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,977,022 times
You both have well-paying jobs here, and a house that presumably has at least held its value since you bought it. Your son is in a private school where he presumably has some friends and is preparing for the rigors of high school. You want to move to California, a state that has been shedding upper-income professionals in droves because of confiscatory tax rates. You don't have jobs there, you don't have a real sense of the actual costs of living there, and you probably haven't done much research on whether there is a suitable private school that both has space for your son and is located within a reasonable commute of your as-yet nonexistent jobs and the house that you can't buy until you get those jobs.

Does this not give you pause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia