Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:23 AM

13 posts, read 14,604 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a recent graduate and I've gotten a decent job offer up in NoVA. I need to be centrally located between Reston and Alexandria, and reasonably close to DC. After doing some searching on here and looking at google maps it seems like Arlington makes sense.

I'm not crazy about what I've seen in other parts of NoVA, generic strip malls, mcmansions, and never ending parkways/boulevards/etc. I'd like some character. I'm thinking a studio makes sense for my budget, under $1200. Are my expectations realistic? Can you recommend specific areas, neighborhoods, or buildings within Arlington? Can you think of other areas that meet my criteria? I'd greatly appreciate any advice, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of studio apartments in NOVA. $1200 would be low for a 1BR apt in an apartment building/complex. If you're open to renting a basement apartment from a homeowner, that may be within your range.

It may be more difficult to find something in Arlington that is within your preferred budget due to proximity to DC as well as its own popularity. Your odds may be somewhat better in South Arlington than North.

Conversely, you may want to consider Falls Church, especially if you will be commuting primarily to Reston; a short commute (i.e. under an hour) is a valued commodity here. Rents will be a bit lower than Arlington but you may struggle to find managed apartments under $1200. Raising your budget to $1400 may improve your options here as well as Arlington.

It's also popular for newly-minted professionals to room with one another. That may be another thought to consider.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 AM

221 posts, read 438,405 times
Welcome. Your post has been posted a million times on here. Yes, Arlington is a cool place to live. No, you can't find a decent place to live for $1,200. Arlington has plenty of character. Most people live on or around the orange line so anywhere in Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse and Rosslyn.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Welcome. Your post has been posted a million times on here. Yes, Arlington is a cool place to live. No, you can't find a decent place to live for $1,200. Arlington has plenty of character. Most people live on or around the orange line so anywhere in Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse and Rosslyn.

It is true that "Orange Line (Metrorail) Arlington" is the twentysomething mecca of NOVA. However, the OP would definitely benefit from finding a roommate situation there.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the welcomes and responses. Making matters more difficult is my aversion to roommates, it would be a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of studio apartments in NOVA. $1200 would be low for a 1BR apt in an apartment building/complex. If you're open to renting a basement apartment from a homeowner, that may be within your range.

It may be more difficult to find something in Arlington that is within your preferred budget due to proximity to DC as well as its own popularity. Your odds may be somewhat better in South Arlington than North.

Conversely, you may want to consider Falls Church, especially if you will be commuting primarily to Reston; a short commute (i.e. under an hour) is a valued commodity here. Rents will be a bit lower than Arlington but you may struggle to find managed apartments under $1200. Raising your budget to $1400 may improve your options here as well as Arlington.

It's also popular for newly-minted professionals to room with one another. That may be another thought to consider.
I've been looking on craigslist, certainly not an abundance but there's a few. I wonder what the catch is with the places that are listed $1-1200. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into falls church and reassess my budget. What's the difference between North and South Arlington, is North the more active area near the metro? I spent a lot of my life in NYC and miss the high activity, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Hmm, I didn't get a million hits in the search. I read what I found and still thought it would be good to get fresh opinions on my situation. Thanks for the response though, I'll check out those neighborhoods and rethink my budget.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Are there any areas I should avoid?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
I see ads for studios at River Place in Arlington for around that amount - at least saw one for $1300/month. Rosslyn isn't the fun part of Arlington but it's right on the Orange Line.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random posts View Post
I've been looking on craigslist, certainly not an abundance but there's a few. I wonder what the catch is with the places that are listed $1-1200. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into falls church and reassess my budget. What's the difference between North and South Arlington, is North the more active area near the metro? I spent a lot of my life in NYC and miss the high activity, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.
My personal view is that, generally speaking, $1200/month is baseline for an "okay" apartment in an "okay" area in NOVA. With Arlington being above-average in desirablity, that baseline might be higher.

North Arlington is where the "Orange Line" neighborhoods are. It's also the most consistently affluent side of town. South Arlington does feature Pentagon City and Crystal City, each of which can be interesting in their own right. I would not say that there are any "rough" neighborhoods but you will find more working/lower-middle class areas here. Now that I think of it, you may want to investigate the apartments along Columbia Pike. While not the most exciting area, apartments will be relatively inexpensive and you'll be reasonably close to Clarendon and Ballston for after-hours.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
River Place, as suggested, is something to look at - it's generally full of young people, because it's cheap. Not a fun area by itself, but walking distance to a metro and also (if you're young enough and don't mind a pretty long walk) to Georgetown, right across the bridge.

Also consider Old Town, Alexandria. It has a metro and small apartments in your price range. Neighborhood would be nice, but apartment building would likely be quite old. It's not quite as young and hip as Arlington, but still has a decent young population and lots to do. Not suburban blah like most of VA.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 AM

Cool, I'll check out the suggestions. I guess since living in a "walkable" busy area at my budget seems like a pipe dream, I'll have to try to be close to them at least. I don't mind long walks. It's not like my first lease has to be a dream scenario anyways.

I don't mind an old building and small quarters, I don't have much stuff lol

Is craigslist the best way to find studios?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia