Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,088 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the area (Pentagon City) and my wife needs to get inspection and emissions tests done on her Chevy Cobalt, as well as an oil change. Looking on the dmv website and through google, its almost impossible to find a place that appears decent and doesn't rip you off, so I figured I'd turn here to see if anyone has any suggestions. Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npv708 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the area (Pentagon City) and my wife needs to get inspection and emissions tests done on her Chevy Cobalt, as well as an oil change. Looking on the dmv website and through google, its almost impossible to find a place that appears decent and doesn't rip you off, so I figured I'd turn here to see if anyone has any suggestions. Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I have yet to get an oil change since I moved here (I usually deal with Firestone), but I got my safety and emissions for my Envoy inspections done at

Shirlington Exxon
2316 S Shirlington Rd
Arlington, VA 22206
(703) 575-4011
Mon - Sat 6:00 AM-10:00 PM
Sun 8:00 AM-10:00 PM

They were quick and good. No appointment is necessary. Just pull up into the queue and they will come over and get to you in the order that you arrive. Their price for emissions is clearly posted (not sure about oil change because they haven't done one for me, but that does vary by vehicle). There are a couple of reviews on Yelp. Good luck.

One word of warning, my GPS was all kinds of wrong when it tried to guide me there, but you shouldn't have trouble finding it.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
You can't really get ripped off on inspections in VA as the state sets those costs. The cost of an emissions inspection is currently $28 and for a safety inspection, it's $16. Some of the more than four thousand inspection stations in the state may charge a little less, but they can't charge more.

An oil change should run between $30 and $50, depending on where you go, how much oil goes in your car, and what type of oil you tell them to put in.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,595 times
Maybe he's more concerned about having his car marked as failing for something it really doesn't need than getting ripped off on the actual cost of the inspection itself.

I'd check out Tire Rack's recommended installer section. I'm sure all of them do state inspections as well (you can call them to confirm). Anybody with good reviews installer tires will likely not be out to rip you off, because they make a nice profit installing tires and want to keep that image. I'm sure Shirlington Exxon is fine, but I know I'm not the only one who's somewhat leery of people whose first post is to recommend a business.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Maybe he's more concerned about having his car marked as failing for something it really doesn't need than getting ripped off on the actual cost of the inspection itself....

This^

Many, if not all auto shops become inspection stations solely to generate repair business....generally, there's not a lot of profit in the inspection fees alone. (of course, a car owner is not obligated to have the inspection station perform repairs, but many do.)

Therefore, there absolutely ARE crooked inspection stations out there perpetrating fraud on car owners.

I know several inspection station owners through my commercial real estate actvities, so I take my vehicles to them for inspections, because I know they're honest (or at least they wouldn't try to screw ME...). But if I didn't know anybody, I would recommend getting a second opinion if an inspector is saying a vehicle requires expensive repairs in order to pass.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Emissions testing is done by computer. The inspector merely sets up and runs the tests. Safety inspection routines, requirements, and tolerances are set out in writing by the state. Anyone can get a copy. You either have a star-crack in your windshield that is more than 1.5 inches in diameter or is above the 3-inch line at the bottom of the glass or you don't. A bulb either lights or it doesn't. A mirror is either present or it isn't. If you are still worried, never have your inspection done at the place that would do the actual repairs. You can drive for fifteen days on an expired inspection sticker. That is plenty of time to make alternate arrangements should repairs actually be necessary.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Emissions testing is done by computer. The inspector merely sets up and runs the tests. Safety inspection routines, requirements, and tolerances are set out in writing by the state. Anyone can get a copy. You either have a star-crack in your windshield that is more than 1.5 inches in diameter or is above the 3-inch line at the bottom of the glass or you don't. A bulb either lights or it doesn't. A mirror is either present or it isn't. If you are still worried, never have your inspection done at the place that would do the actual repairs. You can drive for fifteen days on an expired inspection sticker. That is plenty of time to make alternate arrangements should repairs actually be necessary.

The safety inspection is not nearly as cut and dried as you state.

How much rust on a metal brake line is too much? How much cracking on a rubber brake line is too much? How deep a groove on a rotor is acceptable?
And so on...there's plenty of subjectivity in the safety inspection.

One of my fellow bus drivers was rejected because her "Brake" light was on all the time, when it should only light up when the handbrake is applied. They told her she needed $500 worth of brake work. I added a couple ounces of brake fluid to her master cylinder....and voila, the light started functioning normally, as is almost always the case in such a situation. Just to be safe, I inspected the front pads and rotors and pulled a rear wheel to check the shoes/drum. The "inspector" had done neither according to my colleague.

Unless something has changed recently, it is NOT true that you can operate a vehicle for 15 days on an expired inspection sticker. However, there is a period of days (I thought it was 7) that you may drive on a REJECTION sticker. Even then, I've been told by VSP Troopers that it is only legal to drive on a rejection sticker from the inspection station to where the repairs will be performed.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The safety inspection is not nearly as cut and dried as you state.
Yes, it is. What you mean to say is that the many thousands of state-approved safety inspectors are not uniform in the their understanding and application of the inspection regulations and standards. Some are simply pickier than others. Don't go to one of those twice.

Quote:
How much rust on a metal brake line is too much? How much cracking on a rubber brake line is too much? How deep a groove on a rotor is acceptable?
And so on...there's plenty of subjectivity in the safety inspection.
Most inspection standards are based on performance, not visible condition. The word "rust" for instance does not appear in the Safety Inspection Manual chapter regarding brakes. Any cracking in a brake line is grounds for rejection, and rotor grooves are too deep when they fall as the result below manufacturer specifications.

Quote:
One of my fellow bus drivers was rejected because her "Brake" light was on all the time, when it should only light up when the handbrake is applied. They told her she needed $500 worth of brake work. I added a couple ounces of brake fluid to her master cylinder....and voila, the light started functioning normally, as is almost always the case in such a situation.
More testimony as to the wisdom of doing inspections and repairs at different locations. But if it's anecdotes that count, an inspector recently passed a vehicle for me but noted that a rear bushing was cracked and near failing and that he could replace the entire set for $400. I declined and took the vehicle to my regular mechanic who replaced the entire set for $400.

Quote:
Unless something has changed recently, it is NOT true that you can operate a vehicle for 15 days on an expired inspection sticker.
Correct in part. That should have read rejection sticker. It is never legal to drive on an expired inspection sticker. A rejection sticker however is valid for the 15 days that follow the date of inspection and it does not impose any restrictions on driving whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia