U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM

187 posts, read 323,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Anyplace is as good as you make it..
Double amen to that. I moved from a place that was very expensive (the D.C. area in fact) to a place (Birmingham, Alabama) that supposedly was "very boring" (and by reputation much worse in fact), but guess what?

I found life in Birmingham to be far from boring and discovered that all the horrid, stereotypical bad things people told me about the place are simply not true. In fact life for me here is much better.

It helps, of course, that I am a "glass half full" person and came to Birmingham determined to find a good life. And I did just that.

We are not just helpless victims of the place where we live and the people that live around us. In life there are often circumstances we can't totally control, but we can control how we react to them and what we do about them. The boats are all lined up at the dock, and we can choose which boat to get on.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,055,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I learned quickly that when someone says "Fairfax" here that they may be referring to the county rather than the city. I often wonder why people don't see the difference.
Maybe because Fairfax is both a city and a county.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM

13,117 posts, read 19,974,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Maybe because Fairfax is both a city and a county.
Then why don't people make clear which one they're talking about. It makes a big difference in understanding their posts. You do know that the city is not the same as the county, don't you?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,055,985 times
agreed, but i find that most people that ask about Fairfax are not from here are recent .

Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM

13,117 posts, read 19,974,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
agreed, but i find that most people that ask about Fairfax are not from here are recent .
That's a good point. However, it does make it hard to answer them correctly.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM

414 posts, read 789,372 times
As has been pointed out, life is what you make of it, no matter where you are. There is an old saying... no matter where you go... there YOU are. Alot of truth in that.

Im a native to this area, born and raised. I LOVE it here, but I also HATE it here at times. Eventually I want to end up somewhere else. Not exactly sure where yet, but probably not in the DC Metro area. That said, I suppose I could still find a place I really like that is not too far away from here.

There are plenty of things I love, and plenty of things I dislike, and a few things I hate. If I feel like life is empty and boring, well its up to ME to go out and change that. Find people with similar interests. If you are sober as in AA, well, why not try to meet others like yourself and form a circle of friends through that.

I'm a gardener by nature, have been my whole life, so I went out and became a certified Virginia Master Gardener. I now have new friends in that vein too. I love the outdoors, and have managed to meet others with similar interests. So you see its not so much the area, as it is how a person REACTS TO that area in which they live.

Also, Well, Woodbridge is not exactly a place I would consider living personally. Its suburban sprawl mainly. Unlike places like Leesburg, Herndon, Fairfax City, maybe even Vienna and Purcellville, its just a sprawling suburban hell with no real identifiable "town/ down town" or area of rich history. When I think of Woodbridge, I think more like a not as nice version of Ashburn. Not my cup of tea. I love places like Leesburg, Purcellville, or even Herndon because they have an old, historic down town area. EVen though Leesburg is built up, it still has held on to its town identity. There is a notable difference between say.. inside Catoctin Circle and outside of it. Those places have personality, where as places like Woodbridge and Ashburn do not. to me places like Woodbridge and Ashburn are fairly soul-less suburban hells. Row after row of townhouses, mcmansions and strip malls do not scream "home" to me, nor do the scream personality or anything like that. So I can understand you not liking where exactly you are at. As much as we love Old Town Alexandria / Del Ray (where we live) We have been here for years and are kind of tired of it. We were wanting a change. A bit slower, a bit more scenic, and less expensive. So we did something about it. While we are staying in the general D.C. area, we are moving somehwere that offers some of the great things about where we are now, without some of the less desirable things too. Still in the area, but far enough away to feel fairly different, and kind of "away" for now.

Anyway, Not sure what advice I can offer to you other than this. If you really do not like where you live and/ or are that unahppy, perhaps it would be better to get out and do something about that than just posting how unhappy / bored you are on the internet. I know its venting, and I suppose it can help, but acting on how you feel will probably get more accomplished.

I hope you have been able to find something in this thread useful though. Best of luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM

414 posts, read 789,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
I can tell you how Nova can be described as boring. I am into the outdoors. That is what I live for. I have already seen almost all the parks and the little pockets of forests in and around Nova. Also there's not many large public lands around here to do recreation activities I like or Winter Sports. There's basically nothing left to see or do. Here in Nova "Islands of woods lay in a sea of development" which doesn't work for me.

Im big into the outdoors too! I would love to know all the places you have been. I know that I think that many of the outdoor types here have found all the places but I still find myself showing people places new to them.

I also head to Eastern WVA alot. There are plenty of places out there that are within an easy day trip, and are very much wilderness. Think Monongahela National Forest area. While most people are fighting trail and road traffic at SNP (Shenandoah National Park) I prefer to drive the extra distance for hardly any foot / car traffic and the solitude. Just curious have you been out that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia