Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 AM

4,433 posts, read 8,121,316 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you're able to move up a bit further north, but that's what I'd suggest. If you think about it, the higher cost of rent is counteracted by the less amount of money/time spent on your commute. Less money spent on miles/maintenance on your vehicle too.

I also feel your pain with the roaches. When my family and I first immigrated here we lived in a ghetto town home. We kept ours clean, but we can't say the same about our neighbors. We had some good luck using a product like: Walmart.com: Combat Platinum Syringe Large Size Roach Killing Gel, 1ct: Household Essentials The roach motels never really worked, but the gel stuff killed them after a while and really lessened the numbers.

When I lived in an apartment in Alexandria they periodically had the maintenance guys apply a gel product. I asked them if I could buy it at the store, and he said it was an industrial version not available to the public. It came in a tube like the stuff I linked above. I never saw a roach in that complex so the stuff must have worked.

My brother currently works at a federal facility as a security officer. I told him it'd be a piece of cake to find a similar job up here considering the amount of federal buildings we have in the area. One perk is they have a really great living arrangement. His wife works for the apartment complex so they get a huge break on rent. Imagine paying $275 monthly on a 2bd/1bth apt in this area!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
I live in Woodbridge too and I get what you mean, although, I don't *hate* it. But sometimes when you think of going somewhere on a Saturday you just sort of sigh. Yet, summer is over and I had to drive over to Maryland yesterday for a bridal shower and it was a PIECE OF CAKE. Easy commute. YAY, summer's over!!!!!!

I do caution you to be careful about dreaming of greener pastures. Certainly, there are people that are just not going to like a particular place. You need to figure out if that's what is going on here or it's you.

As for roaches, yuck. I will say that my friend's daughter has an apartment in Arlington (in the ever popular Clarendon area) and no roach problems at all. In fact, the management seems very proactive in preventing those things. Last year they had a bedbug "scare" or suspicion and they brought in bedbug-sniffing dogs and a company that checked the building top to bottom.

Have you tried looking in that area?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times

Listen and learn.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Maybe you could spend today looking for a new place closer to work and in an area with sidewalks. If nothing else it could be amusing to explore a little.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I live in Woodbridge too and I get what you mean, although, I don't *hate* it. But sometimes when you think of going somewhere on a Saturday you just sort of sigh. Yet, summer is over and I had to drive over to Maryland yesterday for a bridal shower and it was a PIECE OF CAKE. Easy commute. YAY, summer's over!!!!!!

I do caution you to be careful about dreaming of greener pastures. Certainly, there are people that are just not going to like a particular place. You need to figure out if that's what is going on here or it's you.

As for roaches, yuck. I will say that my friend's daughter has an apartment in Arlington (in the ever popular Clarendon area) and no roach problems at all. In fact, the management seems very proactive in preventing those things. Last year they had a bedbug "scare" or suspicion and they brought in bedbug-sniffing dogs and a company that checked the building top to bottom.

Have you tried looking in that area?
I dunno what area that is. Though I likely don't really make enough to live there. It can be a small place, I'd just like it to be clean.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I dunno what area that is. Though I likely don't really make enough to live there. It can be a small place, I'd just like it to be clean.
My friend's daughter moved up there from Woodbridge to Clarendon when she was making $45,000. She got a roomate and took the smaller of the two bedroom apartment. She paid about $895 per month and this included utilities as well as a free parking space.

The roommate left, this girl now makes around $60,000 and she has taken the larger bedroom which costs her about $1,000 per month and found another girl to take the smaller room. She is about 25 and very happy living there. She really just LOVES the walkability and her close proximity to work.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,396 times
Quote:
I dunno, I'm just kind of venting, and bored out of my skull on a saturday. I fully realize it is what you make of it but I can't seem to make out anything I want to do. I wish I drank so going to clubs would be appealing. Being sober in a building full of drunk people is not fun, it's depressing.
You and me both, brother (sister?). Some of these kids forget they're not in the dorms anymore.

I know it sucks to cave to their obnoxious behavior, but I ended up buying earplugs. Works like a charm, for the most part.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 PM

I use to live in Fairfax, right down the street from what was Skyline mall. Seriously though, they turned Skyline into a damn Target? Oh I was pissed when I drove past that. Hmm, I didn't realize Jefferson Middle school was in Arlington.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
You and me both, brother (sister?). Some of these kids forget they're not in the dorms anymore.

I know it sucks to cave to their obnoxious behavior, but I ended up buying earplugs. Works like a charm, for the most part.
Brother.

Can anyone name any affordable apartment complexes in Arlington? Like....1500 max for a one bedroom?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,684 times
Quote:
I use to live in Fairfax, right down the street from what was Skyline mall.
Wasn't Skyline Mall inside the Beltway, not even close to Fairfax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia