U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,138 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? Early January '12
Where are you coming from? Sacramento, CA
Why are you moving? Because work said so!
Where will you be working? Chantilly
Have you been here yet? No, and will not be until we are moving.
Will you buy or rent? We'll buy if it works out for us, but are OK with renting if necessary.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment or a townhouse? How much can you spend? We would like to be under $1500 for renting/under $200k if buying, and we're OK with whatever type of housing.
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, wife is expecting in Feb '12.
Do you prefer a certain public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? Yes, 3 cats, and we'd like to get a small dog.
Do you want or need a yard? Doesn't matter.
Are you keeping a car? Two cars and a motorcycle.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity, but it doesn't matter that much.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - I'd like commute via bicycle sometimes if feasible, so 10-15 miles away max. Other than that, retail and restaurants.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
It doesn't matter, really.

Coke or Pepsi?
I don't consume HFCS, so neither!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 622 times
Do you love sitting in traffic? If yes then this is the place for you....oh and your price range = living in a trailer 50 miles away

Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM

5,317 posts, read 6,871,211 times
My thoughts are that for under $1500 you can get a one, maybe two bdrm apt. in that area. That's just what I saw doing a quick search.

Mexican Coca Cola, which I pick up at Costco, is made of cane sugar. I don't think it has HFCS.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,995,671 times
Welcome to NOVA - once you start doing your research you will find that duckFeeCee is not correct in what your budget will allow. You should be able to find a 20-30 year old 2 bedroom townhouse for rent in Chantilly in your rental budget. You purchasing budget will be at THE bottom of the market, but should get you a 2/3 bedroom townhouse that is a fixer upper within 10 -20 miles of Chantilly. Check out Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | HomesDatabase.com for properties for rent and sale.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,651,395 times
Remember that this area is not quite as bike-commute friendly as California is...unless you like biking in humidity and/or 20* weather

I would highly suggest renting for the first year to get a feel for the area and where you want to be, so you can make an educated purchasing decision down the road.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 PM

377 posts, read 422,483 times
Default 1500 will be a bit difficult

You can find an apt in Chantilly , Herndon, Ashburn or Dulles for 1500 but finding one with a garage in that price range is impossible. Many of the apts have 1 car garages that you can rent seperatly for 100-125 per month but there is often a wait list for them. FWIW, I live in Herndon and rent a townhouse with a 2 car garage for 1850 a month. Herndon is within 10 miles of Chantilly. Buying for 200k will not happen around here.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM

605 posts, read 977,240 times
Out of curiosity, do you think the OP will have a problem findng a place to rent with 3 cats? Most of the times when I've seen pet policies, it had a 2 pet limit...but I've never specifically looked for ones that allowed more than that

Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 PM

413 posts, read 514,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Out of curiosity, do you think the OP will have a problem findng a place to rent with 3 cats? Most of the times when I've seen pet policies, it had a 2 pet limit...but I've never specifically looked for ones that allowed more than that
Quite a few landlords won't rent to people with cats, period.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,651,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
That's a really good point, actually. I know my apartments have been a 2 pet limit (and $30-50 per pet monthly rent as well). The OP would have to find a cat-friendly private landlord, most likely...which could be tricky.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,144,673 times
Random scattershot thoughts:

You might be able to get a condo in Reston for that much, but good luck with three cats and (especially) the dog.

If you're willing to spend $2000 on renting, you might be able to get a SFH in Leesburg or Sterling (although you may want to move out of Sterling before your kid hits school age due to the schools -- but I'd imagine any SFH neighborhood in Sterling will be acceptable for a childless couple/couple with a young kid, the problems with Sterling cluster around garden apartment complexes.)

A SFH landlord might be cooler with the cats and maybe the dog -- but I wouldn't set my heart on having the dog in a rental (plus, do you really want puppy drama showing up at the same time your kid shows up?)

As for buying -- how much of a down payment do you have? I've seen some slight improvement in down payment requirements but you'll almost certainly need 10% down UNLESS you're a first time homebuyer (in which case mention the magic letters VHDA to your realtor.) Given your mortgage budget -- it seems you'd be wanting to look at houses $325k and lower; even in Leesburg, getting a SFH isn't going to work well in that range. You'd be able to get a TH, but some TH areas in Leesburg are better than others.

The garage might be a problem but with a SFH you'd be able to get a shed where you can store the motorcycle. (I suspect if you footed the bill for a shed, most landlords wouldn't mind you putting in a shed that increases THEIR property value.)

OTOH, once you have the kid, your wife may not want you on the motorcycle.

If your wife wants to re-enter the workforce (either now or when your kid hits 2-3 y/o) you may just want to keep renting until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia