U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 AM

5,754 posts, read 5,892,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Also, if a homeowner filed a permit with the county/city for a finished basement, then the basement IS included in the square footage.

However, many homeowners do not file for a permit to finish a basement; for whatever reason. Some say because it is interior space,was already wired, plumbed, etc. Then the square footage is oftentimes not included in a real estate spec and known to a buyer when they visit a house.
Everyone in my neighborhood filed a permit to finish the basement and it is not included in our square footage as would be reported as official square footage. The basement is reported as finished. But our overall reported livable square footage is the same.

Here's an example:

UseCode011 SFD, Detached
Style04 Contemporary GradeS5 Above Average Ext.Walls 22 All Alum/Vinyl
Bsmt Type 234 Walkout Heating01 Forced Air Air Cond.01 YesFirePlace(s) 1
Year Built 1994 No. of Stories 1.00 RoomsBedrooms 4 Half Bathrooms 1 Full Bathrooms 3
Basement Garage 0 Sq Footage Finished Living 2302 Finished Attic 0 Unfinished Living 0
Basement1250
Finished Basement750

So a realtor should only be reporting 2300 square feet versus tacking on the 750 square feet of finished basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,994,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascon33 View Post
I have been expanding the search from Ashburn to Leesburg. Still looking at the schools and less than an hour commute, the bus appears to be okay, so we will see.
Your husband is NOT going have "less than an hour commute" from Ashburn or Leesburg. I agree that this is probably the best place to find the size home you are looking to buy along with good schools, but the commute time is going to be longer than an hour.

Last edited by JfromReston; 10-02-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Of course, I haven't figured out how basements count towards sf here. Sometimes it seems like they count, other times not. Maybe it depends how finished it is? Sometimes I swear the realtors have the wrong info listed in the MLS.
The square footage listed on the Fairfax County website under the Structure Size Tab is "above grade living". Then under the Residential Tab it lists the basement rec room square footage. Realtors often add the total basement into the advertised square footage - you need to ask the right questions to find our what the realtor advertised square footage includes.

Here is the link for the Fairfax County property search website.
Fairfax County

Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM

560 posts, read 604,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
You husband is NOT going have "less than an hour commute" from Ashburn or Leesburg. I agree that this is probably the best place to find the size home you are looking to buy along with good schools, but the commute time is going to be longer than an hour.

This is true. My record-shortest commute from Reston to Metro Center in DC is 50 minutes (usually 55-60 min in the morning and longer in the afternoon or when the weather is bad). I am close to the toll road, so I donít see how it could be one hour from Loudoun.

Hopefully, the commute time will be more consistent when the new metro station is ready.

Also, CaliTerpís point about less yard space needed in this area makes sense, too. Check out the birdís eye view for this house (lots of open space behind the house)-

12643 Thunder Chase Dr Reston VA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #FX7621086 - Realtor.comģ

Old 10-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Also, CaliTerp’s point about less yard space needed in this area makes sense, too. Check out the bird’s eye view for this house (lots of open space behind the house)-

12643 Thunder Chase Dr Reston VA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #FX7621086 - Realtor.comģ
Great park area behind this house and many houses in the area. My house borders on the Walker Nature Center in Reston with 70 acres of open space it sure makes my lot seem much larger.

Interesting about the house listed above. On the FranklyMLS site they have a FPP - Frankly Price Predictor that estimates a current sale price based on the asking price, time on market, and a bunch of other stuff - the current FPP for the above house is $402K.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 6,707 times
JfromReston:

Thanks for your info. My husband is willing to have an hour commute due to the fact it will only be 4 days and possibly down to 3 days a week within a year. So it will not be a huge issue as long as we have a nice home and the kids are in good schools. We are from Long Island and are used to the traffic, not that we enjoy it, but we do understand the trade offs for certain things being in striking distance. Any other suggestions are always welcome. Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Smoke_Jaguar4

Thanks you the information, I will check out those areas as well. I am getting alot of great information from this site and I truly appreciate it!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 PM

I am getting more and more info. on the NoVA area and with the home searches I think we are leaning towards the Ashburn area. I can handle .25 of an acre, we had .33 on LI and some of the homes I have seen are situated on the properties nicely. I will still keep my eyes and ears open for more area suggestions, but I am comfortable with the information I am getting so far. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 AM

263 posts, read 455,311 times
Prince William County would be a great option. You can find a newer home, larger lot and quite a few commuting options (SLug Line, VRE (Train), Commuter Busses, Carpool, and Van Pool) into DC. Our schools differ from many of the surrounding areas since the county offers Specialty Programs at the Elementary, Middle and High School Levels such as IT, International Studies, Performing Arts, Language Programs, to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia