U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM

7,722 posts, read 11,616,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I believe that was the plan for what ultimately became the new Wal Mart and where the Chucky Cheese has been for years. They'll need to bulldoze all the low rent apartments and trailer parks before BRAC can have much of an impact on that area.
The new grocery-leaning Wal-Mart is definitely popular - despite another Wal-Mart being located just a couple miles south - but the lack of more creative development is probably disappointing to some.

As I said in another thread, I think apartment management companies will sooner upgrade those apartments and/or turn them into condos for the BRAC arrivees sooner than bulldoze them. Can't speak about the trailer parks.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM

14,141 posts, read 15,796,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The new grocery-leaning Wal-Mart is definitely popular - despite another Wal-Mart being located just a couple miles south - but the lack of more creative development is probably disappointing to some.

As I said in another thread, I think apartment management companies will sooner upgrade those apartments and/or turn them into condos for the BRAC arrivees sooner than bulldoze them. Can't speak about the trailer parks.
But then there will be major concerns raised about where all the displaced low income folks are going to go. How are the local governments dealing with that for the Arlandria project? Or is that not an issue there?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,880,335 times
Quote:
But then there will be major concerns raised about where all the displaced low income folks are going to go. How are the local governments dealing with that for the Arlandria project? Or is that not an issue there?

one more time - the arlandria project above is on an old shopping center, there will be NO residential units taken down. PLUS there will be about 5% of the units reserved for low income (60% of area median or less) anyway. Some of the community groups complained that not enough low income was set aside. Apparently 6 of the 7 council members decided that a 5% set aside, on what had originally been a non residential property, was quite enough.

What will happen IF and WHEN the rest of arlandria transitions has not been addressed yet.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
The link returned an error for me.
Sorry about that. I just found the link to article again on the site but apparently it has been removed.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I agree that there would (will?) be a brouhaha should the scenario I foresee actually happen in the Richmond Highway corridor. How that will pan out for the folks in Arlandria is a good rhetorical question that deserves a more concrete answer.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM

17,252 posts, read 7,440,080 times
Quote:
They can go whereever their incomes will allow them to go. They have no fundamental right to live in Arlandria unless they own their homes.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They can go whereever their incomes will allow them to go. They have no fundamental right to live in Arlandria unless they own their homes.
That would certainly speak to a free-market approach to which many others may certainly agree. On the other hand, some might also say there is merit to allowing for relative convenience for a community of (presumably) hard-working but lower-paid wage earners to get to jobs in the service industry etc. that benefit "everyone".

Up until recently, Alexandria seems to have been going by the latter standard. However, the townhouse developments in North Old Town replacing the public housing combined with the now-imminent changes in Arlandria, it would appear that the city leaders are going in another direction. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM

8,479 posts, read 5,880,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
That would certainly speak to a free-market approach to which many others may certainly agree. On the other hand, some might also say there is merit to allowing for relative convenience for a community of (presumably) hard-working but lower-paid wage earners to get to jobs in the service industry etc. that benefit "everyone".

Up until recently, Alexandria seems to have been going by the latter standard. However, the townhouse developments in North Old Town replacing the public housing combined with the now-imminent changes in Arlandria, it would appear that the city leaders are going in another direction. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen.
a different direction? They required 5% of the new units to be reserved for low income housing, in a development that WILL NOT TEAR DOWN ONE SINGLE LOW RENT HOUSING UNIT.

Oy. I shout, because I have stated this a couple of times, and it goes unheard. Between the libertarians, and the opponents of gentrification, perhaps what alex is really doing is being missed. They are NOT simply letting the market fall where it may. NOR are they attempting to stand on the barricades and fight the transition of neighborhoods, which they welcome. They are trying to create vibrant communities of new market rate housing that contribute significantly to the city tax revenues, while still pursuing policies to preserve affordable housing within city limits.

Of course if ALL jurisdictions in the region attempted to provide suitable housing for low income people, not just those jurisdictions with legacy low rent housing, that would probably help (not saying that other jurisdictions do not have such programs - I just dont see that the question of where are they to go needs to be addressed only to Alex and to other places they currently live - I would also note that Arlandria has not always been the home to minimum wage earners or to these particular communities - cites DO change.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,796,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
a different direction? They required 5% of the new units to be reserved for low income housing, in a development that WILL NOT TEAR DOWN ONE SINGLE LOW RENT HOUSING UNIT.
So that means they're actually increasing the number of low income units in the area. Is that really desirable? How come they don't set aside units for medium income people? How about building some homes that middle class people who are forced to live out in the exurbs would buy? Or would that attract Republicans?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

Oy. I shout, because I have stated this a couple of times, and it goes unheard. Between the libertarians, and the opponents of gentrification, perhaps what alex is really doing is being missed. They are NOT simply letting the market fall where it may. NOR are they attempting to stand on the barricades and fight the transition of neighborhoods, which they welcome. They are trying to create vibrant communities of new market rate housing that contribute significantly to the city tax revenues, while still pursuing policies to preserve affordable housing within city limits.

Of course if ALL jurisdictions in the region attempted to provide suitable housing for low income people, not just those jurisdictions with legacy low rent housing, that would probably help (not saying that other jurisdictions do not have such programs - I just dont see that the question of where are they to go needs to be addressed only to Alex and to other places they currently live - I would also note that Arlandria has not always been the home to minimum wage earners or to these particular communities - cites DO change.
Yes, I do recall there would be units set aside for lower-income housing. And I'm glad that the City Council included that in the agreement with the developer. I'm not against the evolution of neighborhoods per se. There are certainly pros and cons, either which may be an opinion. And as a relative newcomer, you are correct that I am not knowledgeable about the longer-term history of Arlandria.

In the end, I believe that Alexandria politicians are trying to walk a fine line as you stated in your second paragraph. In the absence of new businesses from which to derive tax revenue, opening up opportunities for more market-rate housing - and thereby collecting more property taxes - seems to be the newest strategy for the city (notwithstanding the waterfront issue which is an entirely different topic).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia