Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

Hello, I. Just received bills for tax in fairfax county. I have been living and working down here since 09, but don't have a car of my own. My father put my name on one of his cars and allows me to borrow it from time to time. My dad lives in pa and therefore the car is pa registered. Fairfax county is demanding I pay taxes all the way back from 09 on this car that I only borrow. I have researched the personal property tax and see that if it is parked here "normally" it has to be paid. I just can't understand what "normally" is and how they expect me to pay taxes from all the way back in 2009. My father is willing to switcy the car to va to avoid the plate tax, but I cannot afford to pay all these back taxes. Is there anyway out of this? The payments are crazy high for an 08 chevy malibu that doesn't even reside here year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 PM

8,822 posts, read 15,287,043 times
For what amount of time is it in the county? About how many days a year?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM

9,866 posts, read 14,073,493 times
What is the reason that your father put his car in your name?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,382,939 times
How does Fairfax County even know about a car registered in Pennsylvania? Somethiing is missing from this story.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,365,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
How does Fairfax County even know about a car registered in Pennsylvania? Somethiing is missing from this story.
Yeah, the key here is to find out how often it's parked on the street in Fairfax County. That's most likely how they found it, since I can't see the county randomly combing other states' databases looking for VA residents.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM

6,538 posts, read 8,352,970 times
I suspect it was parked in Fairfax County pretty frequently and somone reported it. The County probably searched and discovered how long the OP had been a resident and Bam! there's your tax bill.

I noticed there is a link on the Fairfax County website for reporting tax evaders. It looks like it would take only a few clicks to report someone.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 AM

956 posts, read 2,014,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I suspect it was parked in Fairfax County pretty frequently and somone reported it. The County probably searched and discovered how long the OP had been a resident and Bam! there's your tax bill.

I noticed there is a link on the Fairfax County website for reporting tax evaders. It looks like it would take only a few clicks to report someone.
Not sure about Fairfax, but in Loudoun they (at least in the past) they had been checking streets, apartment parking lots, etc. I don't think it necessarily was someone "reporting" it, but could be.

Either way, and I don't mean to be a \Negative Nelly here, but according to the County, the OP should have been paying the taxes all along. Seems like the car was regularly parked here. I don't see how the OP gets out of this. Did they charge a penalty as well?

Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 PM

8,822 posts, read 15,287,043 times
Yeah. If it's parked here, "borrowed" or not, you have to pay the tax.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,439,509 times
The Tip lines certainly do get some folks, but public parking lots (malls, Metro stations, etc.) are regularly patrolled by police and security details and nonconforming license plates are noted. If yours shows up over and over and over again, guess what. You're busted.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM

230 posts, read 756,878 times
When my daughter was going to George Mason University early last year she lived off campus for a short while in an apartment located in Fairfax City. The tax enforcer (older man) for the city patrols (lurks) the streets, apartment complexes looking for vehicles that don't have Fairfax City tax stickers on them. I know this for a fact because he approached me one day outside of my daughters apartment building when I was just visiting - questioning me if I lived there and checking the windshield of my vehicle! I was totally annoyed (nice word I'm using here) that he would go to that extreme to find out if I was getting over on the city by not paying taxes! Tax revenues are becoming so necessary in hard economic times that local area jurisdictions will go to any length to collect!!! Watch out GMU students - the tax enforcer is combing the streets near campus!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia