U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM

73 posts, read 205,055 times
Default Kingstowne or Landsdowne?

Looking for some feedback on these communities - pros and cons of living there. Need to commute to downtown DC (near Metro Center).

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-22-2007, 10:47 AM

76 posts, read 215,285 times
I haven't been through Kingstowne in many years, but what I can offer is this: the communities are very different. Lansdowne is a brand new community on a golf course. Lots of young families, great schools, close to shopping at Dulles Town Center as well as Sterling and Leesburg, and there is a country club that many families in the neighborhood join, if that is the sort of thing that you are looking for. But it would be a long commute to DC - that is where Kingstowne has it beat. Many of the people that live in Lansdowne work in the Dulles corridor or telecommute.

Unread 08-22-2007, 12:00 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,118,121 times
I think the OP is talking about Landsdowne http://www.landsdowne.org/]Home (broken link) a condo/TH area in Fairfax county near Springfrield Mall, not the Loundon County development Lansdowne. It created great confusion for me too!

People in both developments typically drive to Springfield to take the VRE or the Blue line into DC. Parking is a pain and there was a wait list when I looked in 2004. I think the commute door to door ended up being between an hour and 1 1/2 hours each way, which I decided I couldn't handle.

Kingstowne is slightly closer to DC, was more expensive and generally a little bit nicer, upscale (maybe 30%-40%). Though they had a lot of 1 and 2br condo places within Kingstowne, that Landsdowne did not. It seemed to me the TH's were better constructed in Kingstowne, Landsdowne looked more shabby.

Landsdowne seemed to have a lot of military families and diversity with lots of middle eastern, indian, and korean families. Kingstowne had more white professionals and seemed like a lot of stay at home moms with strollers. Both areas looked like typical suburban subdivisions. Though Kingstowne had more landscaping and trees.

The one big advantage of Landsdowne was that it appeared every place we look at had a large unfinished basement. I thought this feature added great value to these units.

They didn't seem all that different to me, and while it is close to the Mixing Bowl mess, you pretty much can avoid a lot of it once you know the local streets better.

Unread 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM

76 posts, read 215,285 times
Ooops! You can tell I've been in Loudoun too long - I have never even heard of the other "Landsdowne"! Sorry!

Unread 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM

68 posts
Take a look at the Sleepy Hollow Rd. area of FFX County. Walk to the Falls Church Metro and you are quite a bit closer to DC. Also, there are some older houses in the Edsal Rd. area of FFX; inside the beltway.

Unread 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM

73 posts, read 205,055 times
Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the Landsdowne area in Alexandria (Fairfax County). Should have stated that in my posting.

Unread 08-24-2007, 10:09 PM

142 posts, read 367,570 times
Hey, I live in Kingstowne and have for the last 2 years. I'll give my 2 cents. I personally prefer Kingstowne because of its beautiful setting and large extent and resources of the HOA. I also enjoy being really convenient to the KT Towne Center. The homes, like slim04 said, seem to be a little bit nicer in KT. I also think accessing the parkway, beltway westwards, 95, van dorn, and going into alexandria is a little bit more convenient from Kingstowne. I had a good friend who lived in Landsdowne, and it seems to be a little bit on the cheaper side. However, it seems to be a quieter neighborhood because of its location. LD also seems to be more of a neighborhood for those who are starting out, while KT is geared more towards the upwardly mobile.

Unread 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,687,602 times
I have lived in both neighborhoods. They are about equidistant from the Franconia-Springfield stop on the Blue Line.

Kingstowne has about 4500 homes, Landsdowne has about 700. So Kingstowne can afford more amenities: two pools (compared to one for Landsdowne), two fitness centers, neighborhood clubs in the community centers, etc. They have a volunteer HOA board and a number of paid staff; Landsdowne has a volunteer board.

Also Kingstowne is newer. Landsdowne was built beginning in 1987 over about three years, Kingstowne began in the mid-90s and the final neighborhood is being constructed right now. For those reasons (amenities and age), the property values in Kingstowne tend to be somewhat higher.

There is also a wider variety of homes in Kingstowne, from condos to very large single-family houses. Landsdowne has a large section of single-family homes and then two sections of townhouses by two different builders.

Kingstowne is considered more upscale, but Landsdowne is still a nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia