U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,171,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's a free world, you can say what you like. Meanwhile, every time you try to trash Loudoun I will rebut and use it as an opportunity to instead discuss a few of the good features of Loudoun. Then I will suggest the OP come out and check it out for himself. That usually works out well, because once they see what's here they tend to like it. So go ahead, say what you wish.

if you follow that truely, you will have few opportunities to speak up for Loudoun, since I dont trash loudoun. I think it has cheaper housing than places closer in, its very convenient to some great out door stuff, its very close to a lot of high tech jobs, it has a lot of planned communities that are better designed than the kind of suburban development commonly built in Fairfax between 1945 and 1990 or so. It has a very strong homeschooling community, and it has historic Leesburg.

It also has lots of people who DON'T have massive chips on their shoulder about living there or owning property there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
It's a free world, you can say what you like.

Yes, I know its a free country. I am just asking if it will bother you less if every time I post on a Loudoun County thread, I note specifically why I am - if it will help you see that I dont post on Loudoun much. Shall I post on each Loudoun county thread "i have nothing to add" when I dont?

Im just trying to clarify things.

would you prefer I note each and every time you undermine anyone saying anything positive about DC or the inner suburbs?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
If I say something about DC or the inner suburbs that you disagree with, by all means rebut.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

I see a number of people in this forum constantly undermining peoples interests in the city and in places close to it - even to places in Fairfax county.
If you do indeed see this happening, you should rebut it.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,206,979 times
I looked at some real estate sites. There are some cool townhouses in Brambleton with classy, modern interiors, but it seems like they've typically been selling closer to $425-450K over the past year or two, not for $485K. So it's probably safe to say that, if you paid $485K, you'd be close to the top of that market at a time when it's unclear where RE values will head over the next few years.

I probably wouldn't do it unless I really liked the property; knew I could afford it; and planned to be there for the long haul. However, I wouldn't avoid a townhouse I liked simply because there might be less expensive single-family homes in NoVa. There are all sorts of reasons why some people prefer townhouses to single-family dwellings, and we're long past the point in this region where townhouses are considered sub-standard properties.

There are lots of boosters of different parts of NoVa on C-D, just as there are boosters of other areas on other sub-forums. If you can't find any boosters on a sub-forum for a particular areas, you know the area must really have issues.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
If I say something about DC or the inner suburbs that you disagree with, by all means rebut.

But may I simply note it, so you can see how often you do it? I have no objection to you noting how often I say something less than 100% wonderful about Loudoun County.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I am sure Loudoun county is the right place for many people. but the constant boosterism for it here, on every conceivable subject, gets tiresome.
I'm sorry if it's tiresome to you that people are moving to this area, are interested in Loudoun, and ask a lot of questions about it--and that others enjoy answering those questions and also enjoy discussing the area. However, that's why this forum was created. We're also going to be discussing news and developments out here because those topics are of interest to people. If it's not interesting to you, don't read those threads.

If Loudoun threads have become tiresome, maybe it's time to start avoiding them. There are plenty of threads about the other counties, too. And you can always start more new threads that discuss issues in the other parts of the metro area.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
But may I simply note it, so you can see how often you do it?
If you wish, but I recommend taking the stronger and easier path: If you disagree with a statement you should say so at the time it's being made and explain why you disagree.

Meanwhile, let's get back to the OPs townhouse.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if it's tiresome to you that people are moving to this area, are interested in Loudoun, and ask a lot of questions about it--and that others enjoy answering those questions and also enjoy discussing the area. However, that's why this forum was created. We're also going to be discussing news and developments out here because those topics are of interest to people. If it's not interesting to you, don't read those threads.

If Loudoun threads have become tiresome, maybe it's time to start avoiding them. There are plenty of threads about the other counties, too. And you can always start more new threads that discuss issues in the other parts of the metro area.
Its not the existence of Loudoun threads. Its the reaction to whenever someone suggests something they think is not optimal about Loudoun, or that housing prices there might decline, or anything. Its the attitude that it has everything, everything is ideal, and that everything about it must be defended at interminable length. I actually find Loudoun somewhat interesting and would prefer to discuss it more, but I have found its not worth it, because of the reaction. This current discussion is a good example - I have much positive to say about Loudoun, but you have somehow decided I am Loudoun basher. Saying that Frederick, Md would be a good choice for a couple with ties to Philly and Baltimore, or that the museums in Loudoun are not equal to the museums in DC, somehow makes me a Loudoun basher.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If you wish, although I doubt it will accomplish anything. I recommend taking the stronger and easier path: If you disagree with a statement you should say so at the time it's being made and explain why you disagree.

Perhaps you could do the same, and not attempt to count or charecterize my posting as you do in this post.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21257231-post66.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia