Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the area! I don't mean to be a downer, but given that you are just graduating, and you will both be job hunting, have you investigated how expensive the areas are that you are interested in? Particularly given all of your wish list items, and that you will have expenses with 3 kids, is it really feasible? I agree you should expect at least $3000 per month for a small, 3 BR SFH that isn't run down, in N. Arl. Since that is below carrying costs for most SFHs (small houses in good areas typically are in the $600K range, plus taxes, insurance, etc.), I don't think you will find many, and even fewer 4 BR. A townhouse may be feasible, but there aren't that many in Arl., due to the high cost of land. Private schools and child care are also expensive here. You may prefer to live further out and rent a bigger house.

So, my advice would be for you to find jobs first, then look for areas close to both work places that have the price ranges that would work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Im not an expert on the alex schools, but I know lots of people who are happy with them. Definitely kids who go to TC who end up at the nations most highly ranked university, every year.

Arlington is also known for its school system.

I would have suggested looking at TH's in Old town, but even if you like TH's, with 3 kids, finding a TH that is large enough would be a challenge- theyd be very pricey.

Some folks have already mentioned Del Ray, Rosemont, and Seminary Hill. I would suggest also looking a bit further north in Alex - Beverly Hills and adjoining areas. It isnt really walking distance to Old Town (unless you like quite long walks) but theres frequent Dash bus service, and its pretty close by car or by bike .

You can also try looking in South Arlington - though you might want to ask here about specific schools in that case.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I agree that some of us - including myself - are assuming that you are aware of and prepared for the housing costs here when making our recommendations. Many households, particularly families, have found themselves having to prioritize their needs and wants when looking for a place to live here. I also agree with an early comment that having an idea of where you will be working would be helpful as traffic is no joke around here. There is no such thing as a "reverse commute" to the major job centers further out and transit options to such are not so convenient at this point.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris'sNewStart View Post
seems he may need to change as well...but he is open minded and willing. He was in sales and retail prior to marketing. Auto Sales-3 years, and Retail/Management -about 3. So Marketing isn't plentiful in D.C. either?

There are plenty of auto dealerships and retail stores around here - I assume people assumed the kind of corporate marketing job that would be more common in a city with larger private sector firms (we have those, but they are mostly govt contractors, aerospace, telecom, or biotech, all of which are somewhat specialized - they are also like to located farther out, as compared to the govt jobs you are likely looking at)

Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I agree that some of us - including myself - are assuming that you are aware of and prepared for the housing costs here when making our recommendations. Many households, particularly families, have found themselves having to prioritize their needs and wants when looking for a place to live here.

OP said in her first post that she would consider a condo rental. She is already well ahead of where most newcomers start when getting realistic about this market. Being open to a condo may open some wider possibilities (though there arent many really large condos in Arlington or Alex, that I am aware of)

Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
I love Old Town and wanted to live there when my son was born, but we couldn't afford private school or a big enough home. I would still say it's the best place to live as long as you can afford a big enough place (at least 3000-3500 for a big enough place for your family - you will need a townhouse/row home or huge condo) and a private school (the public schools are not known for being good in the city of Alexandria). Pet friendly will be an additional challenge for a renter, and you may not find anything. The inventory in Old Town is limited because it is small. The crime in OT proper is almost nil, but you have to be careful to distinguish OT from other parts of Alexandria which are not OT. The best part of OT is the southeast quadrant. The not so great parts are in the area east of Washington and North of King Street, but other than a street or two with government housing even most of that area is not bad. Around the "intersection" of 495 and route 1, the area heading south along route 1 stops being OT and becomes Fairfax County, Alexandria, which is just the suburbs.

To be frank, most people with three children would not choose OT. Family friendly and good schools mostly = suburbs in NOVA. Possibly Arlington has some exceptions, but I don't know that area well. People with kids AND money generally had to McLean for the most desirable schools. Also Great Falls, Oakton, some parts of Fairfax, Burke, and similar.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 AM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
Some notes on Arlington's historic neighborhoods:

Arlington's historic "downtown," the Clarendon neighborhood is party central for the under 30 crowd (late night), but it is also very family friendly, and so it has the cafes, boutiques, and excellent schools that you desire. The residential neighborhoods around Clarendon include nearby Lyon Village, Lyon Park, and Ashton Heights, which are among the most desirable and expensive neighborhoods in Arlington. The residential neighborhoods are packed with young families, which is why the schools are/will be overcrowded. Arlington Science Focus Elementary is one of the most coveted schools in the area and a local magnet option. In terms of architecture, Clarendon-area neighborhoods more closely resemble Old Town (a bit of a stretch maybe) than any other part of Arlington. Wilson Blvd (the main commercial street) has a concentration of pre-WW2 art deco and other commercial structures which are mostly restaurants and boutiques today. The residential neighborhoods have homes that are mostly pre-WW2: craftsman bungalows, and "colonials," and some very large homes in the northern part of Lyon Village and parts of Ashton Heights. The restaurants/cafes all have kids menus, and they are popular with families from all over Arlington. Clarendon is also the main shopping area in N Arlington (mostly upscale boutiques and chain stores--Apple, etc.). Even if Clarendon does not appeal to you as a place to live, you will most likely visit to eat and shop from time to time. Historic Georgetown is also nearby: a short drive, bike ride, bus ride (38B), or a leisurely walk across the river from the Rosslyn Metro. the Kennedy Center, and the Smithsonian are all nearby, and a short drive and Metro convenient. Very close to Clarendon, the Arlington Arts Center, the Artisphere, the Lubber Run Amphitheater and the Arlington Planetarium offer countless cultural activities.

There are other historic neighborhoods in Arlington that are further removed from Arlington's urban centers like Clarendon, which you may find more appealing. Of those, I'd recommend Cherrydale, Maywood, Lee Heights, Waycroft, Tara, Waverly Hills, Bluemont, East Falls Church, and Westover. Westover Village is the center of the Westover community and has a new library, small shops, cafes, an old-fashioned five and dime, a popular middle school, etc. The public schools that serve these neighborhoods are all excellent, and some of the best private school options are a short drive across the river in DC.

Arlington high schools allow co-enrollment at the Northern Va Community College, but the college level curriculum (AP and IB) at the high schools is excellent, and the schools offer most of the popular classic and world languages: Latin, French, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, German, etc... Independent Study is another advanced option for high school upperclassmen. Washington-Lee High school offers a pre engineering class called IB Design Technology for students interested in engineering and architecture. That class is equipped with all the latest fabrication technology (CAD, 3D printers, etc). The Arlington schools have limited open enrollment, and so transfers are fairly easy (when schools are not overcrowded), an attractive option if there is a course of study that only one school offers. Kenmore is the magnet middle school for students interested in the fine arts and communications; Gunston offers language immersion. At the elementary level, the most popular magnet options include Arlington Science Focus, Arlington Traditional, and the language immersion schools (Key and Claremont). H-B Woodlawn, a very popular secondary magnet option appeals to students who are highly self-motivated and/or dislike the conventional, large high schools. The Washington Post wrote an article about the school, sometimes called "Hippie High," this past weekend. Students, faculty and parents together help to shape the curriculum and hire teachers and staff. There is a lot of unscheduled free time and students have off campus privileges. Teachers are on a first names basis, etc. Despite its 60s-era philosophy, H-B survives today because of its excellent test scores which reflect the small size of the school. Each grade has less than 100 students.

Most townhome and condo rentals are in the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor along the metro rail orange line in the central part of the county. Clarendon and the more historic parts of Arlington that may interest you are concentrated near the orange line, which closely follows the path of the old trolley lines that spurred the growth of county nearly a century ago.

I hope you find some of this helpful and good luck, both Arlington and Alexandria are excellent places to raise a family.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
marie5v, I would agree that, as a whole, Alexandria City's schools do not have the general reputation of Arlington or Fairfax Counties. I do believe there are exceptions, particularly at the elementary school level. The school that serves Del Ray - although I don't recall the name offhand - would be one example.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris'sNewStart View Post
Nevertheless, my Plan B is of course the School System. Math teachers are always needed! But don't pay as much as the Government.
Not as needed as you might think. I teach math, and just got hired over the summer. Despite having experience in IT consulting, a masters in education, and student teaching within the county, I still only got calls from 3 schools (despite applying to 30+ that claimed to need math teachers). Then I had to interview at all three. The school I ultimately took a job at said they had over 150 applications for an 8th grade algebra job--which isn't exactly most people's dream position (13 year olds! Math! Argh!).

That said, if you're really interested in teaching, I'd research either the career switcher program offered through the state, or look into getting an education degree along with your math degree.

I don't want to be debbie downer, but it sounds like your eyes are bigger than your wallet right now, since neither of you has a job in this area. I'd get job offers, THEN figure out where you might want to move to. Private school tuition can run up to $40k per kid (though some are much more modest at $10k per kid). That $140k salary you are seeking would be awfully nice to have, but it's no guarantee until you have the job. With a bachelors degree teaching math, it's more like a $45k salary. That's not enough to support a family in old town.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM

518 posts, read 1,450,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't want to be debbie downer, but it sounds like your eyes are bigger than your wallet right now, since neither of you has a job in this area.
You chose two of the most desirable areas in Northern Virginia, Arlington somewhat more so because of the reputation of its public schools. Even with well paying jobs, housing prices are very expensive, and there aren't many condo rental options for a family of five. There are only a few condos over two bedrooms, and for the most part only the most expensive luxury properties have 3+ bedrooms. Turnberry Tower in Rosslyn had some 3 bedroom condos that sold for well over 1 million, and a rental condo of that size would likely be beyond your means.

Townhomes and rowhouses in DC, Arlington, Alexandria, and McLean are at the very high end of the market for the most part (in the safe and desirable neighborhoods). Single family homes close to the city (and in DC) are similarly very expensive, especially in the pre-WW2 neighborhoods--almost nothing for under $600,000. I hope you do find your dream house/neighborhood, and you may find a good deal. So don't rule out Arlington and Alexandria; just be prepared that you might have to look further out depending on your work situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia