Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 PM

424 posts, read 1,478,876 times

Advertisements

We are happy with our lifestyle and what we make, but clearly, almost everyone we know lives in a bigger (aka, better?) home & drives equally nice cars (or perhaps, even better). Of course, they don't seem to shop or eat out as much as we do, but I am just curious to know what professionals and dual-income families actually MAKE in this area.

Is $200K/year considered a phenomenal income, or is it JUST on par with the general community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
We are happy with our lifestyle and what we make, but clearly, almost everyone we know lives in a bigger (aka, better?) home & drives equally nice cars (or perhaps, even better). Of course, they don't seem to shop or eat out as much as we do, but I am just curious to know what professionals and dual-income families actually MAKE in this area.

Is $200K/year considered a phenomenal income, or is it JUST on par with the general community?
It really depends on the neighborhood/community. I live in the part of Oakton where the houses are priced from $700K to $1.5M, and based on what my neighbors (and we) do, I would guess that the net income must be around $300K - $400K/year. Also, different people have different needs and/or different priorities. While we drive a BMW and a Lexus, my neighbors down the street (who definitely earn more than us) have a Toyota and a Nissan. I wouldn't necessarily make a judgement based on what people drive unless we are talking Jaguars, Porsches and other high-end cars.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM

424 posts, read 1,478,876 times
$400K/year. My goodness. Am I in the wrong profession or what?! :-( Should I assume that the communities you are speaking of have more self-employed folks (entrepreneurs)? I didn't even know regular jobs paid that high. But, it is nice to know there are some really rich folks around!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,925 times
It all depends. Yes, median incomes here are much higher than elsewhere in the country, but yes, 200K a year is still very high.

I am a single young professional making about 66K a year. I drive a new car (and a nice one at that, loaded VW GTI), and recently closed on my own condo in an excellent area (Fair Oaks / Fair Lakes area of Fairfax County). I eat out regularly, contribute to my 401K and IRA, and enjoy travel. I do have a roommate, which will net me about 10K per year.

What you "need" to live here is much overblown. People on these forums would have you believe I am poor and that you need 300K to be comfortable. Yes, you need more than I make if you have a family, but the salary requirements I see thrown around on here are overblown.

While 200K a year may not be as terribly uncommon here as it is in cheaper areas of the country, but it's still a lot of money and is more than the norm.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:36 AM

100 posts, read 219,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
What you "need" to live here is much overblown. People on these forums would have you believe I am poor and that you need 300K to be comfortable. Yes, you need more than I make if you have a family, but the salary requirements I see thrown around on here are overblown.

While 200K a year may not be as terribly uncommon here as it is in cheaper areas of the country, but it's still a lot of money and is more than the norm.
Very good points. Seven years ago, I was single, making $38,000 a year--and living alone in a very nice apartment in Herndon. (It helped that I had decent savings for a twentysomething and no debt at all at the time.) I did not worry about money (although perhaps I should have, as I would have more saved now if I had)--I had a car and an apartment, and that was all I cared about at the time.

I agree that the numbers cited on this forum are sometimes overblown. You do not need to make $200K, or anything like it, to live reasonably well here. According to the USDA, the median household income in Fairfax County was $102,325 in 2009. (In Arlington, it was $92,703.)

So, to directly answer your question, vauser, yes, I'd consider $200K to be a pretty phenomenal household income and definitely not the norm, but I'm not in a high-earning field. If I were, maybe would seem more normal. And households earning more than $300K may be composed of entrepreneurs, but around here, they're more likely to be lawyers, doctors, lobbyists, or executives.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:41 AM

221 posts, read 438,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
It all depends. Yes, median incomes here are much higher than elsewhere in the country, but yes, 200K a year is still very high.

I am a single young professional making about 66K a year. I drive a new car (and a nice one at that, loaded VW GTI), and recently closed on my own condo in an excellent area (Fair Oaks / Fair Lakes area of Fairfax County). I eat out regularly, contribute to my 401K and IRA, and enjoy travel. I do have a roommate, which will net me about 10K per year.
That's....a lot of debt for someone only making $66k a year. Are you sure mom and dad didn't contribute to anything?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
My husband and I, together, gross about this much. However, after maxing out our 401Ks, having one kid in college, paying commuting costs to work, one car payment (but 2 kids on car insurance), we don't feel "phenomenal" at all. I even live in Woodbridge with a $1400 mortgage. No debt though.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Probably a good guide would be to take the price you paid for the house you live in or would pay to to buy one you want and divide that by 4.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 AM

100 posts, read 218,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
$400K/year. My goodness. Am I in the wrong profession or what?! :-( Should I assume that the communities you are speaking of have more self-employed folks (entrepreneurs)? I didn't even know regular jobs paid that high. But, it is nice to know there are some really rich folks around!
Most people make that. For example take a lawyer and DC area has tons of them. Starting salary for a 25 year old out of a good law school (top 15) is $160K with biglaw paying $20K+ bonuses. Good MBA programs have starting salaries of $100K. Two professionals in their 30s can easily make $400/year

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca29 View Post
Most people make that. For example take a lawyer and DC area has tons of them. Starting salary for a 25 year old out of a good law school (top 15) is $160K with biglaw paying $20K+ bonuses. Good MBA programs have starting salaries of $100K. Two professionals in their 30s can easily make $400/year
B.S. Most people DON"T make that, even here. 99% of people don't go to good law schools. If it were true, the median home price would be about $1.5 million. I haven't looked lately but it's considerably below that. If people living off the government do start making that on average, even I'll be joining the tea party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia