Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,176 times

Advertisements

I live in Fair Lakes currently and have a job offer in DC. I am hesitant to take the job as I'm worried about the commute. Currently I work 10 miles from home in the area and my commute is only 20 minutes.

The job offer is paying a good amount of money more (30%), but I'm still not sure if it's worth it considering my commute will go from 20 minutes to around 90 each way door to door.

My plan would be to take the Fair Lakes Shuttle (free as I live in a community that offers it) to Vienna and then metro into DC. I'm hoping the job would be on the orange line, but I'm not sure I find out my work location tomorrow.

Does anyone commute regularly from Fairfax to DC or has in the past that can let me know if it's as bad as I'm thinking it will be?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM

26 posts, read 95,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillz1318 View Post

Does anyone commute regularly from Fairfax to DC or has in the past that can let me know if it's as bad as I'm thinking it will be?

Thanks in advance!
We are not too far from you, and for us at least, it takes approximately 90 minutes door to door, although we usually drive. If you do drive (which has its own issues), the commute back *can* be a lot better/shorter than the commute in.

The reason I mention driving is that I have found the metro to be pretty unreliable. I am sure there are countless threads on this, but I found that the exception became the rule: That is, more often than not there was some catastrohphic problem at Rosslyn or wherever that meant I had to wait an extra half hour for a train.

That being said, two advantages of Vienna: you will get a seat heading into DC, and if you decide to drive instead of taking the shuttle bus, you should be able to get parking.

As with everything else, YMMV, and it certainly does depend on exactly where your job is, so don't lose hope yet. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM

I would drive but I can't take 66 as I'm driving alone. I also think I have to leave earlier if I drive and parking downtown costs more than the metro.

Thanks for the advice though. Is 90 min a killer commute?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM

160 posts, read 279,307 times
For me, a 90 minute commute for only 30% more pay is not a reasonable trade-off. If you think about it, you will be spending 180 minutes per day commuting vs. your current 40 min. Each week, that is 700 more minutes you will spend commuting than you do now. Um, that is over 11 hours that you could be doing something else.

But, if the opportunity could lead to further advancement, then you have to weigh that in, too.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen391 View Post
For me, a 90 minute commute for only 30% more pay is not a reasonable trade-off. If you think about it, you will be spending 180 minutes per day commuting vs. your current 40 min. Each week, that is 700 more minutes you will spend commuting than you do now. Um, that is over 11 hours that you could be doing something else.

But, if the opportunity could lead to further advancement, then you have to weigh that in, too.
Thanks for breaking it down. That's my main internal debate. I really want to make 6 figures, but not sure it's worth it.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
On the other hand, if you take Metro and get a seat, you may be able to get stuff done while you commute - like reading, doing work, studying, etc. Then theose 180 minutes are not "wasted." I commuted by Metro for 9 years, and for the most part I really liked it. I went to grad school when I was commuting, and when I got home from work, I had already finished doing some of my schoolwork.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillz1318 View Post
Thanks for breaking it down. That's my main internal debate. I really want to make 6 figures, but not sure it's worth it.
Do you know how much time you will spend, plus transportation costs getting to work? It might not even be for a few hundred dollars more. Calculate the MPG of your vehicle, plus parking, plus wear and tear of your vehicle, plus wear and tear of yourself plus stress level of traffic. It might be better to stay close to home. Think about it

Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
you might think about this: Stringfellow Road Park and Ride*- Fairfax County, Virginia

If I have to go downtown, this is probably the way I would go. I would assume you could pick someone up there to be in the HOV lanes (there is an entrance right next to this park and ride)

It also looks like the busses from this one run to Vienna metro.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone! Still deciding, but leaning towards DC commute...the extra money is something that would be really nice to have although not required.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
The worst part is the planning of the shuttle times or bus. I used to take a bus to the metro and after a long day it really was a pain to wait for the bus. Add in cold, rain, hot/hot or windy days, problems on the metro........it's not all about the amount of time, it's how you have to spend that time. I worked downtown for 11 yrs and frankly was very relieved to not have to do it anymore. This kind of commute can get really old, but of course is completely dependent on your tolerance of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia