Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,468 times

Advertisements

Other than Fair Oaks and some of the other malls, what other places are hosting trick-or-treating for young children this year? We live near Burke and in previous years, the library had a costume parade and the local shopping center sponsored an event, but I'm not seeing any ads this year. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Just curious: Don't people in your neighborhood give out candy on Halloween?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Truly - the Big Thing about Halloween besides the costumes is doing something extraordinarily out of the norm - running around outside in the dark with whole bunch of other kids running around outside in the dark.

Yet Another Walking around a mall is...ahem...boooooooooorrrrrrring.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,868 times
Quote:

Exactly. Shake down your own neighbors for candy. Stay out of neigborhoods where you don't live. People know how many kids to expect from their own street and it is not fair for transients to take advantage of the others generosity.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Exactly. Shake down your own neighbors for candy. Stay out of neigborhoods where you don't live. People know how many kids to expect from their own street and it is not fair for transients to take advantage of the others generosity.
Well, the OP wasn't talking about taking his/her kids to other neighborhood homes for trick-or-treating (though I don't really disagree with your point that this practice is obnoxious). The OP was talking about taking kids to a mall or library that does trick-or-treating; I can't imagine anyone would take issue with that. I just wondered if there's some trend in FFX County where people don't take their kids around the neighborhood for it, due to safety reasons, not enough neighbors participating, etc. Or maybe the OP is doing that too and just wanted some extra fun for the kids if there's a public event of some kind.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Truly - the Big Thing about Halloween besides the costumes is doing something extraordinarily out of the norm - running around outside in the dark with whole bunch of other kids running around outside in the dark.

Yet Another Walking around a mall is...ahem...boooooooooorrrrrrring.

I must say, although we had some reticence about "doing halloween" for religious/civilizational reasons (we're serious about our Judaism and it IS all saints eve, and paganizing it doesnt make it better in that sense) we were won over completely cause its like the one time of year you see kids in large numbers walking around neighborhoods at night around here - the little kids with adult supervision, and the older kids on their own. The walking, the fresh air and the neighborliness are worth some bits of paganism.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post

One area that is welcoming to transient trick or treaters is Old Town Alex.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Transient trick or treaters are welcome in my Lake Ridge neighborhood as well. The more, the merrier!

I grew up in a rural area where we couldn't walk from home to home so my parents took the kids to our nearest town where we went trick or treating on their streets and neighborhoods. I suppose my parents never thought us "transients" wouldn't be welcome.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, we do trick-or-treat around the neighborhood on Halloween night, but now that my oldest is in school, there aren't many opportunities to "wear the costume" and that's the highlight of Halloween for her (not the candy). I want other options, especially if it rains on Halloween night. It's fun for the kids to attend other events the weekend prior to Halloween night, if possible.

Last edited by mlv311; 10-19-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Or maybe the OP is doing that too and just wanted some extra fun for the kids if there's a public event of some kind.
You are exactly right. Thank you. The "fun" for the kids is to wear the costume and watch other kids in their costumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia