Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

91 posts, read 228,865 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for wineries in VA....within 90 minute drive Arlington VA? Looking for a place where you can do some tasting, grap a bottle and some food and sit out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Well, it depends on what you are looking for. I rank the wineries on four categories:

1) quality of wine
2) personality/ service of those doing the tastings
3) ambiance of winery
4) view

If you could put those categories in order of importance, I could give you some recommendations? also, is dog or kid friendly imporant?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 AM

ambiance/view first
personality/quality of wine tied for second with quality a little ahead.

Yes, kid friendly...3.5 year old.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Doukenie Winery is a nice place. Nice scenery for a picnic and the kids enjoy the ducks and horses. We've been there a few times and it's never too crowded. Their Vintner's Reserve is a treat. Doukenie Winery

Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
the best views I have seen are at Blumont Vineyards and Delaplane. Unfortunately, the atmosphere isn't ideal for a 3 year old at either. (Blumont has a college-age bar crowd going on, and Delaplane was more hoity).

First, I would recommend Barrel Oak (as long as you like dogs). You can bring your own food, or get it there, everyone is SUPER friendly, and it is extemely family friendly. If there weather is nice, people will sit out all day long with their picnics. It is EXTREMELY dog friendly, so if your tot likes to pet dogs, you have entertainment already built in. Wines are decent.

Chrysalis is also another option (and a little closer than Barrel Oak). They do their tastings in groups, so the servers are well versed in the wines and are good. Very informative, rahter than, "here's your next red". Outside is lovely to sit and relax.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Sunset Hills Vineyard (Rte 287 in Purcellville) is kid friendly and has some good wine. It's not far from Doukenie. There is also Breaux Vineyards which is kid friendly as well.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,614 times
I have to second the recommendation for Barrel Oak. The wines are decent and the place is huge (which I love because it gives you room to spread out. It's not super far from Fairfax and the views are really nice.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Probably the closest to you would be La Grange just outside Haymarket and close to I 66 in PWC. The wife and I really like this place. As far as food it's more snacks appropriate to a winery. The snacks are listed on the web site under The Store then Food. (I should clarify. This is not the nicest winery in the VA area but it's close to you and a nice winery. I love the old restored historic home that is now the winery)

Winery at La Grange

Come to think of it there was another winery opening up in the Clifton area but I know nothing about the place.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 PM

147 posts, read 254,992 times
I would like to second the Doukenie Winery recommendation. I am not a wine connoisseur, but we took some friends out there who enjoy wine and they had a great selection (you can watch them pick the grapes if you like) and despite the fact there was a decent amount of people there, they took the time to allow us to taste and educate us about the wines in a very relaxed atmosphere.
It has a really nice and peaceful location too. (not too far from Purcellville or Leesburg) Doukenie Winery
I also like Bluemont. Mainly I like it because of the drive out there through Aldi -> along Snikersville Turnpike, and up the mountain where they have that magnificent view.
The only downsides are I believe it is about 60 or so miles from Arlington which if you take the scenic route I mentioned (where you can see the hills and farms for about 10 miles before you get to the hill) may push your 90 min limit. You could instead take the toll road and go out route 7 which is quicker and more expensive.
The other downside is that while they have ample room to just sit outside and enjoy the view, on the inside they do tend to get crowded on weekends and when that happens the face time with the wine people is severely limited.
If you have kids right down the hill from the winery is Great Country Farms which has a ton of stuff for kids and adults alike. hay rides, corn mazes, fruit & vegetable picking etc)
CSA, Produce Farm, U-Pick at Great Country Farms - Family Events, Weddings, Birthdays & Field Trips in Loudoun County, VA 20135
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia