Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 PM

15 posts, read 119,283 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a house with 3,000sqft or more, at least 3 bed, 2 bath in a nice area for between 500 - 550K.

I have searched listings throughout NOVA and come up with Manassas and Woodbridge as the only areas really offering what I would like for the money.

Are there any other areas within 30-40 miles of D.C. that I should be considering?

I have read mixed reviews on Manassas and negative reviews on Woodbridge.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM

71 posts, read 316,384 times
Depends upon what you consider a nice area. Depends upon what you would like for the money. 550k can go a long way in NoVa. You can find homes in that price range all over NoVa. Consult a realtor so you can have someone compile all your needs and help you find the home that's right for you.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 PM

the fact that i could only find "nice" houses in manassas and woodbridge for 550 gives somewhat of an idea of the type of property i would be looking for.

gainesville yielded some nice finds for that price as well, any others i should look into?

thank you

Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
By "nice" are you meaning "new"?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
There are a good number of 3,000 square foot homes with 3/4 bedrooms and 2/3 bathrooms in Ashburn for under 550K, some for as low as 450K.

Since 550K is actually a good chunk of change, even for this area in the gradually slumping housing market, you can generally find places here and there in virtually every part of Northern Virginia at that price. However, they are likely older homes in many of these sections. In terms of a highish number of somewhat newer homes meeting your criteria, I recommend extending your search out to Eastern Loudoun and parts of Western Fairfax County, in places like Herndon, Sterling and Leesburg.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK23 View Post
I am looking for a house with 3,000sqft or more, at least 3 bed, 2 bath in a nice area for between 500 - 550K.

I have searched listings throughout NOVA and come up with Manassas and Woodbridge as the only areas really offering what I would like for the money.

Are there any other areas within 30-40 miles of D.C. that I should be considering?

I have read mixed reviews on Manassas and negative reviews on Woodbridge.

Thank You
Where will you be commuting to? Makes a *huge* difference on what's an appropriate recommendation.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 AM

76 posts, read 345,495 times
There is a home in my neighborhood in Cascades (Potomac Falls) for $595K right now, it is really nice but does not have a finished basement. (Check 20165) I think you can find what you are looking for closer in in Loudoun. This home has approx. 2800 sq feet, single family, 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath, brick front.

Just because the list is higher, you never know what you could get if you make an offer.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Heather - I do not necessarily mean new, but the house we currently live in is a 20 yr old colonial...not a fan of the architectural style and closed off interior spaces which is typical of older construction, the only problem i find with a lot of the newer construction in NOVA is that the houses are being built on top of each other, it gets bad when searching for homes they list the acreage in sq.ft., i would prefer no less than 1/2 an acre

DullnBoring - thank you for your recommendations. while i did not find much in ashburn, sterling, herndon----Leesburg did peek my interest. It seems quaint with a lot of history and close to the potomac which is always a plus. I would like somewhere with a quaint yet active, walkable main street/downtown and excellent restaurants. Another plus was its proximity to Middleburg. I really do love the atmosphere and aesthetics of equestrian communities so being near that area would also be a plus. Of course I got this info from reading loudon county's website so those who know of the area and/or live there would have a much better insight. I would appreciate feedback on these areas.

Knopfler - The only commuting I would be doing is occasional trips to DC (once a week or weekends) for civilization/shopping/dining/culture and frequent trips to Falls Church to see family. I am not constrained by a 9-5 m-f nor the rush hour time period that most have to travel back and forth.

I also have family in Manassas which is what garnered my interest originally in the area but I have a very narrow scope of what the community is really like. They live on the other side of 66 near the battlefield in an area made up of estate developments and such. I have yet to experience other parts of Manassas but thought that area to be beautiful.

Thank You and please keep the responses coming!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Suggests you change your land requirement to .25 acre or increase your budget or look for an older home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia