Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 17,830 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
New to the area, we live in Alexandria but very close to Arlington and Falls Church border (22311) near the Mark Ctr. Both my husband and I were raised Catholics but we are very open spiritually. Basically we're looking for a church that our teenager, 17 yrs old can relate to and be involved in. The Catholic masses are well, pretty boring... he ends up falling asleep. I don't blame him. Maybe something with youth/teen ministries with their own activities and music. We're not intimidated with large congregations or small ones, either is fine. We just want him to connect and grow spiritually and meet other friendly Christian young people in the area. Willing to travel up to 10-15 miles out.

Thanks for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 AM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
There are a ton of churches in Arlington, Falls Church, and Alexandria. Most have websites that describe the various services/ministries. Maybe try the Methodists, Presbyterians,... ?

Young Life was popular among high school age kids when I was growing up. It's non-denominational Christian (both Protestant and Catholic). Young Life North Arlington might be the closest group.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,660 times
Prior to my move out of NOVA into the edge of West Virginia, we attended church at the Fairfax Church of Christ on Rugby Road, off of RT 50 in Fairfax. They have a very active youth group that my kids really enjoyed. Hope that this helps.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
My church has a very active youth ministry. There are separate services for junior high and high school students, as well as weekly small group meetings in peoples' homes. I lead one of the junior high small groups, and it's very active and well run by church administration. Lots of opportunities for service projects, missions trips, games and activities at the church, etc.

Here's the link to the student ministries: Immanuel Student Ministries Home

The church is large--but I find with all the separate services it's easier to find your niche. It's located at Braddock/Backlick, kind of the intersection of Annandale, Alexandria, and Springfield.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:07 AM

31 posts, read 96,757 times
Columbia Baptist Church in Falls Church City has a large and active youth ministry. They meet on Sunday evenings and have games, free food, a band, and Bible study and also have youth retreats and community service projects.

Home (Columbia Baptist Church)
Sunday Night Youth Group (Student Ministries)

Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 17,830 times
Wow thanks everybody, I'll try researching your suggestions. Probably the best way to figure out a good fit is to actually visit maybe this Sunday? I'll start with the closest, in Arlington

Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
Just to clarify my previous post, Young Life is a nationwide Christian youth ministry (not a church). They sponsor various events throughout the year.

In Arlington, the biggest church might be Cherrydale Baptist, which recently completed a huge addition/renovation. Mt. Olivet Methodist is one of the oldest churches in the area. Trinity Presbyterian is another popular church. Cherrydale Methodist is another old, established church that is very popular with area families. There are others. All these churches have websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia