Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
We have several IT positions at my employer and there's no "moving around a lot" required.
That's been my experience too. I was an IT contractor for about 11 yrs. I didn't really move around much though and I wouldn't have liked it much if I was forced too. Moving around introduces a lot of stress into the equation. I only worked for about 3-4 contracting companies in that time frame, but I guess I was fortunate that I got onto long and stable contracts. One contract was for 7 years, which is pretty long time in the industry. Luckily it wasn't 7 years doing the same job or I would have been bored out of my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM

66 posts, read 130,978 times
Running the numbers it seems like a full time job at 130k per year with the benefit package is way better than $70/an hour for some short term work, where you are sitting at home some of the time. It used to be that short term hourly assignments used to pay more.
130k a year , plus a 32% of salary benefit package is about 170k , so you should really be billing at $100/hr for three month assignments or take the full time job offers.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 PM

554 posts, read 977,322 times
I agree the benefits do make a nice difference. The way, I hope things play out is that I do a few contracts for the company that wanted me in Tn at $100 an hour and then let them hire me for 130 or so. The good thing is that with them, I can live anywhere which will allow me to make the DC money and live in N. Fla or in the Smoky mountains, both with a much lower COL. Plan B is to take one of the full time gigs, The one Gov't contract will let me go remote after a few months, the other is in Denver which I like ( i did a contact out there a few years ago). The $70 I was getting on 1099 was ok, the one real good thing that came out of it was I got to work with the new version of the software package I play with which is definetly paying off now as the higher paying gigs require hands on with it.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I would advise any IT whiz-kid to save, invest, save, invest....and then save and invest some more. And max out that 401K!!

I can't tell you the late 50's, early 60's former IT guys that are driving FCPS school buses. Age discrimination is rampant in this country...illegal but next to impossible to prove.

These guys got bounced from their field but were too young (or lacked the financial wherewithall) to retire. Several guys have told me that the County job was the only job they could get with health insurance benefits for their families. Sad, really.

SAVE! It's later than you think...

Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
SAVE! It's later than you think...
That's good advice, no matter what industry you're in

Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
Here's 3 steps to keeping yourself happy in DC:
1.) work on your experience and exposure. Certs don't really matter as much
2.) try getting work with a company who will sponsor you a clearance. The higher the better
3.) don't ever fall for those short term gigs::: especially if they're Indian

Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM

66 posts, read 130,978 times
I agree with you Car54. I think most people realize that in IT you have to be prepared for it to end at 55. To not have a backup plan and assume to can keep going until you are 60 is not smart. If you have a wife with a job that has benefits when you hit 55, is it helpful.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Wow, this thread has been really informative for me being an early career IT consultant. I may think twice about hopping to higher paying short term jobs. Though they are nowhere close to the hourly rates you guys are talking it is still higher and certainly tempting.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Wow, this thread has been really informative for me being an early career IT consultant. I may think twice about hopping to higher paying short term jobs. Though they are nowhere close to the hourly rates you guys are talking it is still higher and certainly tempting.

I would rather be home with my family every night for 1/2 the rate. Life is too short and not seeing your family because of a higher rate a pay is nonsense.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 AM

554 posts, read 977,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I would rather be home with my family every night for 1/2 the rate. Life is too short and not seeing your family because of a higher rate a pay is nonsense.
The life of a consultant can be a bit difficult. I would not be doing this if I had school aged kids. In my case, the kids are out of school and my wife can go on the road with me when she wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia