U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 AM

352 posts, read 1,442,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
Well, when I go to 7-11 and I'm one white gal surrounded by 20 Hispanics buying drinks, another 20 outside waiting for a contractor to hire them for the day and 7 black folks, 2 middle easterners, 1 american indian and I read the census for the area....It seems a little sloppy when the census says whites dominate.
This is awfully myopic, Lyn. This may be true of the neighborhood you were in at the time; however Prince William County also includes Bristow, Gainesville, Catharpin, Nokesville, Haymarket, Brentsville... all very lily white places. They're looking at the county as a whole, not just particular neighborhoods or particular towns.

And really, what does it matter? So there were 20 Hispanics in the store you frequented. What of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 21,754 times
This turned out to be a racial (racist?) profiling of Manassas, ant the counties of Prince Wiliiam, Loudon, and Fairfax. I have been in Prince William for over a year and have enjoyed the diversity that the county embraces. There are some folks in Manassas making a big deal about illegal immigration and are pushing legislation to reduce services to non-legal residents. Manassas is also where the KKK was borned, so this comes to no surprise.

This being said, you might be better off somewhere else if you look like you may be "Illegal".

Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
This turned out to be a racial (racist?) profiling of Manassas, ant the counties of Prince Wiliiam, Loudon, and Fairfax. I have been in Prince William for over a year and have enjoyed the diversity that the county embraces. There are some folks in Manassas making a big deal about illegal immigration and are pushing legislation to reduce services to non-legal residents. Manassas is also where the KKK was borned, so this comes to no surprise.

This being said, you might be better off somewhere else if you look like you may be "Illegal".
Eek! We in Manassas have enough trouble with our public image, without people thinking we're where the KKK originated. The KKK originated in Pulaski, TN.

NOT Manassas.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 PM

92 posts, read 287,409 times
knopfler and freelance. I concede. I have no intention of looking racist or my post birthing a debate of where the KKK originated. But it wasn't Manassas.
and

The US Census is correct. You have 0 illegals in your area. Congratulations.

Last edited by lyn2shoes; 10-10-2007 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Called poster a dummy and shouldn't have.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM

8,062 posts, read 7,320,760 times
The profiling is a result of prospective homebuyers wanting to avoid certain problems associated with 1st generation immigrants. Those problems seems to keep cropping up in discussions on this site.

1. poor performing schools with a large number of students in ESL classes

2. excessive overcrowding of residences that lead to several issues:
2a. high rents relative to value
2b. high numbers of unrelated adult males loittering in neighborhoods with kids
2c. inadequate parking
2d. poor upkeep of the grounds and eroding property values

3. latin gangs in schools and neighborhoods

4. roads are now incapable of handling this surge in population that was not anticipated by residents or the county government. the roads in the outer 'burbs are as bad or worse than those inside the beltway. who plans for letting in all these illegals anyway, or do the models used by the planning authorities obscure this trend intentionally?

5. tax base isn't expanding to keep up with the services required by the influx of immigrants because the high occupancy residences pay the same tax rate as everyone else.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 PM

555 posts, read 2,439,010 times
Very good and true post. I'm getting tired of being called a "racist" on forums like this simply because i am against illegal aliens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The profiling is a result of prospective homebuyers wanting to avoid certain problems associated with 1st generation immigrants. Those problems seems to keep cropping up in discussions on this site.

1. poor performing schools with a large number of students in ESL classes

2. excessive overcrowding of residences that lead to several issues:
2a. high rents relative to value
2b. high numbers of unrelated adult males loittering in neighborhoods with kids
2c. inadequate parking
2d. poor upkeep of the grounds and eroding property values

3. latin gangs in schools and neighborhoods

4. roads are now incapable of handling this surge in population that was not anticipated by residents or the county government. the roads in the outer 'burbs are as bad or worse than those inside the beltway. who plans for letting in all these illegals anyway, or do the models used by the planning authorities obscure this trend intentionally?

5. tax base isn't expanding to keep up with the services required by the influx of immigrants because the high occupancy residences pay the same tax rate as everyone else.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM

555 posts, read 2,439,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post

This is very untrue and misleading. The County Police will only take action against illegal persons already charged with a crime. The Police will not be roaming the streets looking for illegals. Go down to the Longview/Rt.1 7-11 and you can see for yourself, the illegals are still standing under the no loitering sign with pride. And no, Manassas is not where the KKK was "borned". Stop lying and learn correct grammer.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
This is very untrue and misleading. The County Police will only take action against illegal persons already charged with a crime. The Police will not be roaming the streets looking for illegals. Go down to the Longview/Rt.1 7-11 and you can see for yourself, the illegals are still standing under the no loitering sign with pride. And no, Manassas is not where the KKK was "borned". Stop lying and learn correct grammer.
Grammar, even.

Sorry, couldn't resist. And no, I'm not of the opinion that we don't have any illegal aliens in PWC, or that the various censuses completely and accurately report all of our populations. I'm a little confused as to why lyn2shoes lumped me in with the post about folks not in favor of illegal immigrants being allowed to stay in the US being by default racist. Certainly, some are - but I would never make the statement that that position means the person is a racist. Eek.

Can we get back to helping people make good NoVA decisions, now? *grin*

Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM

8,062 posts, read 7,320,760 times
"I'm a little confused as to why lyn2shoes lumped me in with the post about folks not in favor of illegal immigrants being allowed to stay in the US being by default racist."

Mostly, people seem to be growing dissatisfied with living in the area because of problems associated with the rapidly increasing density in the area, and the influx of illegal immigrants artificially exacerbates the population problem. They can't very well demand of legal citizens and those on visas not to come here.

Last edited by lchoro; 10-12-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,538,362 times
This thread is not about illegal immigration, we have a separate forum for that. Please stick to the topic and try to help the OP.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or