Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,387,833 times

Advertisements

Using Google translate: Mover su coche

"Move your car"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 AM

105 posts, read 390,589 times
Hokie, I've tried that route with little help from the police.

VRE, I have they literally say they don't understand "no comprende" and shut the door. I haven't seen the main renter for quite some time either.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Do you know the owner of the property? If so, you may ask them to ask their tenant to move the vehicle. It sounds like a very frustrating situation. Is the car currently registered and inspected in DC? The police might respond to an abandoned car if the inspection and/or registration are out of date.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM

105 posts, read 390,589 times
bmw, I've spoken to the owner once, they live far away in another state and doubt they'd be able to do much.

the first police officer who responded said everything was up to date. The last one I spoke to (2 weeks ago) said he would forward it to the Traffic (?Parking) Enforcement officer. No word or change since then.

Does anyone know the direct phone number for Traffic/Parking Enforcement in FFX county?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeller View Post
Hokie, I've tried that route with little help from the police.

VRE, I have they literally say they don't understand "no comprende" and shut the door. I haven't seen the main renter for quite some time either.
See how well they comprende when you say in Spanish, "ICE is on their way."

Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,874 times
Here is the relevant law:

Unattended/Abandoned vehicles on public roads

* Vehicles left unattended for 10 or more days may be towed.
* 40 days after being towed, the vehicle can be declared abandoned. The vehicle can then be sold/disposed of.
* Trailers are considered vehicles in this statute.
* Police will enforce.

So why don't you call your Supervisor and ask that s/he request that the police enforce the rule and tow the car. They may have to come and mark it every day to prove that it's unattended. That might get the owner's attention enough!

Several years ago a woman in our neighborhood left a vehicle parked in one of the few visitor spots in the neighborhood for MONTHS, even though she had a driveway and a two-car garage. When something expired (tags, inspection, not sure what), it was ticketed. She sent an enraged email to the entire neighborhood about how she intended to sell the car later that year (still months away) and how dare anyone report her.

Another time the neighbor above was having extensive work done on her basement and asked another neighbor to move her car so that the contractors could park there and get access to the basement. The second neighbor refused.

So asking nicely doesn't always work. Some people just have an entitlement mentality.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:31 PM

298 posts, read 680,790 times
I'd go the Yankeesfan route. I hate to take a hard line like that, but if it's in front of your house, I can understand how that would be incredibly annoying.

The VA counties with personal property (car) taxes would be interested to know they store a vehicle in the county and presumably don't pay property tax on it, with the DC plates and all. Any vehicle stored or garaged in the jurisdiction is subject to the tax.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
I'd go the Yankeesfan route. I hate to take a hard line like that, but if it's in front of your house, I can understand how that would be incredibly annoying.

The VA counties with personal property (car) taxes would be interested to know they store a vehicle in the county and presumably don't pay property tax on it, with the DC plates and all. Any vehicle stored or garaged in the jurisdiction is subject to the tax.
This was also my thought. If it has been parked in the county for well over a month, then report it through here:

Tax Evaders

Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,713,980 times
I've had a similar problem with my neighbors - rudest people i've ever met. We're in PWC, everyone in our townhouse development gets two spaces. Outside of that, you park out on the street. Neighbors don't like that (PD has been to their house numerous times for domestic fights, btw). They just park in my spaces, or tell their friends to. Wife knocked on the door one night to tell them to move the car so she could park, woman of the house went batsh*t. I told them *nicely* that either they move the hoopty or i'd call the towing company that has a contract with our HOA and have them move it at a very expensive cost. We've had a few problems since, including one where one of their friends pulled into my space as I was about to and I flew off the handle. Hasn't happened since.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM

414 posts, read 907,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I've had a similar problem with my neighbors - rudest people i've ever met. We're in PWC, everyone in our townhouse development gets two spaces. Outside of that, you park out on the street. Neighbors don't like that (PD has been to their house numerous times for domestic fights, btw). They just park in my spaces, or tell their friends to. Wife knocked on the door one night to tell them to move the car so she could park, woman of the house went batsh*t. I told them *nicely* that either they move the hoopty or i'd call the towing company that has a contract with our HOA and have them move it at a very expensive cost. We've had a few problems since, including one where one of their friends pulled into my space as I was about to and I flew off the handle. Hasn't happened since.
What the hell is wrong with people? What is so hard to understand about the concept of ASSIGNED PARKING? You get your alloted space(s) and that's that. You don't park in someone ELSES space, that is rude, wrong, and against rules and/ or illegal. When they are in the wrong, what gives them the right to go apesh*t? Good lord I cant stand some people sometimes. Hope they have stopped and don't cause anymore problems.

As for the OP, the advice that yankessfan gave is great, as is going the route for reporting the tax evaders. I would follow that and not let up until I got some sort of resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia