Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 39,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
You will probably find everything you are looking for and then some, in a neighborhood on the north end of Old Town Alexandria called "Del Ray". I lived there for 6 years up until several weeks ago and loved it.

It offers just about everything you are looking for, and a medium sized house the size you are looking for will be in about the price range you have to spend. It is a short commute to down town D.C. via Metro's Blue line from Braddock Road station, is VERY walkable, and has a "small town feel" to it as it has its own "main street", complete with many local mom and pop type shops, good restaurants, and a few neighborhood bars to boot. Its upper middle class, to upper class. Homes range from 400K for a duplex, on up to 1.5 MIL+ for large hold restored farm house type homes / small mansions. Most homes are the smaller to medium sized bungalow types and are priced 6-800K. Its not quite as eclectic as it once was, but still has some diversity, and is a very liberal minded area, with a few conservatives thrown in here and there for good measure. In the past 4 years it has rapidly become young family / mommie / stroller land, but has still some how managed to hang on to some of its eclectic diversity.

I really think this is the closest and best fit for what you are looking for. The commutes don't get much easier / shorter in the D.C. area unless you live right next to where you work, or choose to live in down town D.C.

I would offer up a few of the towns in Loudoun County as they too offer up much of what you are looking for, at considerably lower prices, but alas Metro is not yet out here. That said, Metro IS coming out here, but it will be a few years. The closest metro stop will be the Wiehle Ave stop in Reston. If you do not mind buses, Loudoun County offers up some of the best commuter buses in the D.C. area, especially the Tysons express buses. These are much nicer than Metro buses. (think big charter buses with big seats and bathrooms) If you are willing to venture further out places like Leesburg, and Purcellville come to mind. Walkability, and the unparalleled natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains very close by. But, your commute, while not awful, would be substantially longer, BUT, you would save LOTS of money. I'm not going to recommend places like Ashburn / Broadlands / Brambleton because, while "nice" are very sterile suburban developments with little to no walkability / smaller town feel to them. They are simply suburban sprawl over what once was beautiful rolling hills of VA countryside.

Be sure to let us know what you decide on. Its always nice when people dont just come here for info, but also keep us all updated on things they like / choose. This is a great place for information, but keep in mind it is also a community and communities only work when people also give back. Welcome to City-Data!

Del Ray sounds great!! What schools is the neighborhood zoned to? I really like the Alexandria area, and I have only heard good things about Del Ray. Thank you very much for your input, and I will definitely keep you posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM

518 posts, read 1,445,796 times
South Arlington schools are in the Wakefield HS pyramids for the most part. The brand new 100 million dollar high school campus with aquatics center will open in 2013. It has a Spanish language immersion program that is growing. You are right that the neighborhoods I mentioned are all in Arlington County. The County south of US Route 50 is called South Arlington, and street names have "South" as a suffix or prefix.

Alexandria schools (Del Ray section) are in the GW Middle School and TC Williams High School pyramid. You might recall that TC Williams is the high school portrayed in the movie "Remember the Titans."

Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,506,632 times
not married yet and already planning what high schools the kids will attend?

The wisdom Ive gotten to balance the grey hairs - kids will suprise you. Life will suprise you.

"menshe tracht, un Gott lacht"

Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,914,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
not married yet and already planning what high schools the kids will attend?
That suprised me too...especially because she mentioned it being "in the next 10-20 years"...

We all have no idea what could happen in that time frame. Neighborhoods zoned for one school now, could be zoned for something completely different in 20 years...
Schools that are stellar now, could be AWFUL in 20 years.

In 2001, Stonewall Jackson high school in Manassas was Time's "high school of the year"...

Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM

298 posts, read 678,575 times
$600K is borderline, but you should really consider Bethesda MD. I suppose you're already getting that answer in the Maryland forum.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM

414 posts, read 903,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
South Arlington schools are in the Wakefield HS pyramids for the most part. The brand new 100 million dollar high school campus with aquatics center will open in 2013. It has a Spanish language immersion program that is growing. You are right that the neighborhoods I mentioned are all in Arlington County. The County south of US Route 50 is called South Arlington, and street names have "South" as a suffix or prefix.

Alexandria schools (Del Ray section) are in the GW Middle School and TC Williams High School pyramid. You might recall that TC Williams is the high school portrayed in the movie "Remember the Titans."
Irvine covered the Del Ray schools for the most part. The elementary school is the Mount Vernon School I believe. There is also a magnet school close by at the intersection of Commonwealth Ave and E. Glebe rd called Cora Kelly.

ACPS: Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Is it so terrible to want to at least have a good idea of the schools our eventual children will be attending? We are in our late 20's, and planning on kids quite soon so this is of great interest to us.

Thanks for the input from those who provided some, it is very helpful and useful!!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,506,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyborninDC View Post
Is it so terrible to want to at least have a good idea of the schools our eventual children will be attending? We are in our late 20's, and planning on kids quite soon so this is of great interest to us.
We faced the prospect of moving out of the city cause of schools, or sending our kid to Jewish day school - but those were BALTIMORE city schools. Job changes sent us here - where she went to Gesher Jewish Day School - then we decided to switch her to public schools and she attended Fairfax public schools. She was enrolled at one of the "best" middle schools in the county, when her sleep issues conflicted with the county bell schedule, and my DW who was eager to try homeschooling and in a position to do so homeschooled her for 8th grade. Which we might have continued doing, but she got into our NoVa Scitech magnet, and wanted to go.

Like I said, menshe tracht, un gott lacht. "man plans, and God laughs"

but good luck - if you find a place you like that happens to also have schools you like, no reason not to move there. Just dont be disappointed if your kids (or life) change your plans.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
We faced the prospect of moving out of the city cause of schools, or sending our kid to Jewish day school - but those were BALTIMORE city schools. Job changes sent us here - where she went to Gesher Jewish Day School - then we decided to switch her to public schools and she attended Fairfax public schools. She was enrolled at one of the "best" middle schools in the county, when her sleep issues conflicted with the county bell schedule, and my DW who was eager to try homeschooling and in a position to do so homeschooled her for 8th grade. Which we might have continued doing, but she got into our NoVa Scitech magnet, and wanted to go.

Like I said, menshe tracht, un gott lacht. "man plans, and God laughs"

but good luck - if you find a place you like that happens to also have schools you like, no reason not to move there. Just dont be disappointed if your kids (or life) change your plans.

This is very true. I'm just not really looking to send them to "the best" schools, just decent schools. All that Blue Ribbon, 100 AP course school crap just seems overly competitive to me I want a basic school that can provide a good education and good socialization and extracurriculars.

Where in Fairfax County do you live, if you don't mind me asking??

Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,903,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyborninDC View Post
This is very true. I'm just not really looking to send them to "the best" schools, just decent schools. All that Blue Ribbon, 100 AP course school crap just seems overly competitive to me I want a basic school that can provide a good education and good socialization and extracurriculars.
Anywhere in the area will provide a decent education and extracurriculars (most of which are not offered by the school anyway--music lessons and sports teams and such are generally separate from school, especially with young kids).

I work at a middle school in FFX county that is certainly not "the best" by school snob standards (their population comes from a lot of low income areas, so they have all the associated challenges incurred with that), but I'd happily send my (non-existent) kids there without blinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia