Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 AM

248 posts, read 700,634 times

Advertisements

Man these last posts scare me....

In both of my jobs, I've worked straight up 40 hour workweeks. I might have put in a 45 hour week every now and then, but it was only twice a year.

My teammates are happy, my manager is happy, my performance evaluations have all been great.

I have fellow software engineers who work on different projects. One is in at ~6am, out by 3pm. He has been around longer than me.

I have two friends who are software engineers. They also work 40 hours a week on average.

I don't get it. What the heck???? Have I just gotten lucky??? Is this common for a software engineer??? Help help help help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 PM

288 posts, read 733,768 times
I wouldn't work overtime unless I were on an hourly salary and that would only be now and then. No job is more important than my family unless it's a dire event concerning national security. The holidays I enjoyed spending with my family were priceless, especially now that my parents have passed away. I worked with a company once that did not like to give people time off in December and early January. Since that is typically a time that people who have family ties want to be together one would think that a company would already know this and plan their projects accordingly.

I was a contractor at one time and encouraged to put in "extra" time as a salaried employee. My friend who also worked there always stepped up to the plate to work extra time, staying late (but never allowed to come in early) and working on weekends. I did not work extra time. When raise time came around we both got increases at the same percentage. I asked her if it was worth it. She said no. Work is important but so are other things outside of work.

I thought it was against the law for hourly employees to be paid straight time or comp time for anything over 40 hours. Where I live now there are lawyers whose commercials specifically say this, and that if you are not or have not been fairly compensated, see them. Employers here seriously frown on doing any work including reading their work email on their own time - subject to termination.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
I thought it was against the law for hourly employees to be paid straight time or comp time for anything over 40 hours.
A "W2 contractor" signs a contract explicitly stating the contractor's hourly rate and that this applies regardless the number of hours worked. I personally find this perfectly acceptable and noncontroversial.

This link http://www.ewin.com/articles/exneot.htm has some interesting words about this.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
I wouldn't work overtime unless I were on an hourly salary and that would only be now and then. No job is more important than my family unless it's a dire event concerning national security.
I didn't use to, but over the past couple of years I've had to stay later and do much more at home. If I don't the work doesn't get done. I'm finding it more difficult to be ready for the next day and, as a teacher of elementary students, if I'm not ready it makes for a difficult day.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I didn't use to, but over the past couple of years I've had to stay later and do much more at home. If I don't the work doesn't get done. I'm finding it more difficult to be ready for the next day and,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
if I'm not ready it makes for a difficult day.
I found this post interesting because -- simply striking the specific profession from the post -- this fact applies to many jobs/positions in this area.

Many folks that are salaried/non-exempt have found their workloads increasing and more must be done after-hours and/or at home. If the work doesn't get done, it is difficult the next day. Personally I have worked some weeks at well-beyond 70-80 hours/week. This is not sustainable over the long-term, however.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
-- this fact applies to many jobs/positions in this area.
I don't doubt it. I find it interesting that some can say they would never work extra unless they were hourly.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
My company started paying overtime this year since we dont have enough people to cover all our contracts (it's a niche field as well, so it's hard to find qualified individuals to hire more).

I've been working 60 hour weeks for the past 6 months or so and will continue over the next year or two, they max out overtime pay at 20 hours extra and it's only 1X the equivalent hourly rate for your salary.

My wife is currently overseas for a tad over a year which is the reason I started working so much. For me personally - it doesnt really make much sense to work it one or two random weeks, but over the long run it makes a huge salary bump. 60 hour work weeks is basically a 50% salary bump - so that makes for a nice salary for a 27-yr old engineer!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I only work overtime once in a blue moon (and that's for unusual circumstances). For me, it's not worth it. I rather cut my budget than cut time with my child. I suppose my dad's death kind of influences that. He worked all kinds of crazy overtime and ended up dying early (cancer). Sometimes it seems to me that he worked his life away... I would have rather spent weekends with him or had him home for dinner on time and my mom would rather have spent time with him while he was alive than have the extra money for the family.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I work overtime but only during a certain part of the year and only for two months. It is a requirement more than a need for $$. However, the $$ part is nice. I am getting some home improvement projects paid for with the overtime monies.

Otherwise, I often work extra hrs during the week just to get work done. It just depends on what project I am working on.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,008 times
I am working in an online printing store located in Fairfax station. I am in sales and marketing department and have to work every time even in the office or at home. We deal in all kinds of printing products used for marketing and business promotion i.e. stickers, folders, shipping boxes, carbon-less forms and many more. I am acting as product incharge at printingray.com and have to plan everything for my product development. What is better for me ? sales commission of overtime ?

Last edited by markjason; 11-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: edited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: