U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 7,676,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I can give you a fairly objective outsider's view, from a southern perspective. I've lived in Arlington for 4 years, before that N.C. for most of my life. As you know, most of NOVA is staunchly liberal, to the point that people I only know peripherally automatically assume that I stand to the left of Che Guevara. 90% of the yards on my street sport Democratic political signs around election time; the rest of us either don't wear our politics on our sleeves or are afraid of being shunned by our shocked neighbors if we don't toe the line. I have a few friends who are gay. The ones who live in D.C. would quit their jobs and move across the country before they would move accross the border to Virginia. Two of these friends reluctantly moved from Virginia to D.C. after the last election, along with a few straight friends who also moved out of protest.

Of all of my neighbors, co-workers, and social acquaintances, I am not aware of any who would identify with the politics of most of the rest of Virginia, although many appreciate its weekend getaway possibilities. I would venture that few of them would feel comfortable if they moved farther south and were surrounded by southerners, and conservative ones at that. For every 200 foreign accents I hear in this area, I may hear one southern accent.

Although I'm not familiar with the NOVA you describe from your earlier days, Vasinger, being from N.C. I can understand what you miss. That said, I am thrilled that my son will grow up here, in a much more culturally (if not politically) diverse area than the one I came from.
North Carolina is getting extremely liberal these days. Charlotte feels like another NOVA- and the Triangle area is very liberal as is Asheville. Most people are making bets which state will go blue first- Virginia or NC. NC also has that pesky John Edwards. So the climate in both states politically has gone from quite conservative Southern-Democrat to yuppie liberal.

Of course- I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with liberal

But parts of North Carolina and Virginia is the equivalent if the New Jersey suburbs were placed on the edge of Jackson, Mississippi.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Gib

6 posts, read 26,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
North Carolina is getting extremely liberal these days. Charlotte feels like another NOVA- and the Triangle area is very liberal as is Asheville. Most people are making bets which state will go blue first- Virginia or NC. NC also has that pesky John Edwards. So the climate in both states politically has gone from quite conservative Southern-Democrat to yuppie liberal.

Of course- I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with liberal

But parts of North Carolina and Virginia is the equivalent if the New Jersey suburbs were placed on the edge of Jackson, Mississippi.
You're right, but even in Chapel Hill you can't really walk down a residential street, point to a house at random and say with confidence, "Ten to one odds that's a liberal household," (well, maybe some areas in Carrboro) like you can around here. It's fun to engage in political discussions there because (at a party, say) you're likely to have a wider mix of views, so that it isn't as intimidating for those with a minority viewpoint to speak up; there aren't even many devil's advocates around here. And it's really interesting to see the shift in old school politics in N.C. (on both sides of the fence) to what they've got today.

Neither my husband nor I affiliate with any political party, but we joke about putting a Lyndon Larouche (no, we don't support him!!! It's a joke!) poster on the lawn to see what the neighbors would do. It would be hilarious, but we'd have to move.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,541 times
There has been a whole lot of influence in the NOVA area from all around, including the rest of the state. So many of my family members left the holler after coal began to decline in value and moved up there for work. But now there is so much influence from other parts of the country that northern Virginia is just starting to look like California of New York. The entire region has forgotton its history. The locals have completely forgotton that they are Virginians instead of Northern Virginians. But oh well. We dont need them. Sic Semper Tyrannis!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM

14,132 posts, read 24,634,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaforever View Post
There has been a whole lot of influence in the NOVA area from all around, including the rest of the state. So many of my family members left the holler after coal began to decline in value and moved up there for work. But now there is so much influence from other parts of the country that northern Virginia is just starting to look like California of New York. The entire region has forgotton its history. The locals have completely forgotton that they are Virginians instead of Northern Virginians. But oh well. We dont need them. Sic Semper Tyrannis!!!
The history of the state was quite lackluster from the civil war all the way through to the last part of the 20th century. It was a pretty sad place from reconstruction through to Jim Crow and massive resistance. Most my ancestors from here moved West and out of here to greener pastures long before then. It was really only with the ascendancy of Northern Virginia that the Commnwealth has regained some of its old panache.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:56 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,125,734 times
vasinger, there are some of us here in NoVA who wish it were still more RoVA-like. I hate that you have to go out to Middleburg, Winchester, etc. (to the west) or Fredericksburg (to the south) to find a proliferation of the cutesy little foodie bakeries-with-salads-and-nouveau-chunky-homemade-dessert-bars that make up my preferred restaurant genre. (Since they're generally semi-quick-service, they're great places for a loner like me to eat.. in addition to being really yummy, usually.)

I feel absolutely no connection to Northeastern US culture (well, I do like the North's progressive [in the old sense] tendency to finance public works projects generously, as opposed to Southern and Western stinginess). Probably my most constant gripe about the area (ignoring the over-crowding and insufficient infrastructure, that is) would be the food situation. I don't want to have to pay $100 a person and deal with table service (at a place several miles [=twenty traffic jams] away from my home) to experience artsy new American fusion-ish cuisine. I don't need any more delis, diners, cheesesteak joints, or family Italian restaurants of the sort Billy Joel celebrates in song. I've really been tempted to make a bumper sticker for my SO's car that reads "I Support Cold Food" (meaning, food that's served cold - not food that's gotten cold from sitting around).

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-07-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM

8,480 posts, read 9,522,774 times
why dont people just start their own threads on issues that concern them instead of reviving three year old ones?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM

8,803 posts, read 6,649,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I know that most people I have talked to resent Richmond because thats where taxes go

But as far as Northern Virginia creating most of the wealth- I would agree. But some people in Northern Virginia do view other parts of Virginia as backward or far behind them socio economically, and that simply isn't true.

Most of Virginia is not as rich as NOVA but it is not all that far behind.

Even Southwest Virginia isn't;without merit.

But Richmond and the surrounding areas are almost as rich as Northern Virginia. Not quite as developed. Also, Hampton Roads area is really a clone of NOVA in the Southeast part of the state.
Northern Virginia actually doesn't create any wealth.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,805,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Northern Virginia actually doesn't create any wealth.
Yikes. Is that correct? I guess it doesn't speak very well of Virginia, then, since the current Governor called Northern Virginia "the economic engine of the state" last year.

Or, then again, maybe he told the folks down in Lee and Wise Counties the same thing about their coal and tobacco-based economies on his last visit there.

Last edited by JD984; 06-07-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 PM

8,803 posts, read 6,649,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Yikes. Is that correct? I guess it doesn't speak very well of Virginia, then, since the current Governor called Northern Virginia "the economic engine of the state" last year.

Or, then again, maybe he told the folks down in Lee and Wise Counties the same thing about their coal and tobacco-based economies on his last visit there.
In what way do Northern Virginians create wealth? People in Northern Virginia don't produce anything. Do you think government services are creating wealth? You create wealth by creating value in excess of the value of the factors of production used to create something. NOVA might be a wealthy area, but they certainly aren't producing any wealth, government services are not wealth.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,805,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
In what way do Northern Virginians create wealth? People in Northern Virginia don't produce anything. Do you think government services are creating wealth? You create wealth by creating value in excess of the value of the factors of production used to create something. NOVA might be a wealthy area, but they certainly aren't producing any wealth, government services are not wealth.
Don't argue with me. Ask the Governor what he meant when he called Northern Virginia the "economic engine of the state" (or come out and call him a hypocrite if all you really think he meant was that the folks in Richmond should be entitled to lay claim to some of the misappopriated money received in NoVa). Either that, or do a little research on the increasing number of businesses in Northern Virginia that aren't tied to government spending.

I'll let Saganista, should he wish, make the separate argument that, in appropriate circumstances, government spending can itself lead to, or at least facilitate, wealth creation. I'm sure you can supercopy reams of pages from other web sites making the opposite argument.

Last edited by JD984; 06-07-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia