U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,328,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I'll let Saganista, should he wish, make the separate argument that...
LOL. There are those who believe that the method by which one pays for goods and services is what counts. If you pay for Good-X via Means-A, it creates wealth, but if you pay for the same Good-X via Means-B, it does not. You can argue with such people, but you may as well try to catch a bandersnatch...

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,558,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
LOL. There are those who believe that the method by which one pays for goods and services is what counts. If you pay for Good-X via Means-A, it creates wealth, but if you pay for the same Good-X via Means-B, it does not. You can argue with such people, but you may as well try to catch a bandersnatch...
Yeh...but no one really wants the services you're providing. You're paid because of taxes from other parts of the country. Simply put, there is no wealth being produced here. It'll be plainly seen when we're forced to balance the budget.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,062,839 times
When I was of single digit age I considered even NoVa Southern. There are still pockets of it but fading.

It's one of the few cases where newcomers to a Southern State don't assimilate all that much.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
vasinger, there are some of us here in NoVA who wish it were still more RoVA-like. I hate that you have to go out to Middleburg, Winchester, etc. (to the west) or Fredericksburg (to the south) to find a proliferation of the cutesy little foodie bakeries-with-salads-and-nouveau-chunky-homemade-dessert-bars that make up my preferred restaurant genre. (Since they're generally semi-quick-service, they're great places for a loner like me to eat.. in addition to being really yummy, usually.)

I feel absolutely no connection to Northeastern US culture (well, I do like the North's progressive [in the old sense] tendency to finance public works projects generously, as opposed to Southern and Western stinginess). Probably my most constant gripe about the area (ignoring the over-crowding and insufficient infrastructure, that is) would be the food situation. I don't want to have to pay $100 a person and deal with table service (at a place several miles [=twenty traffic jams] away from my home) to experience artsy new American fusion-ish cuisine. I don't need any more delis, diners, cheesesteak joints, or family Italian restaurants of the sort Billy Joel celebrates in song. I've really been tempted to make a bumper sticker for my SO's car that reads "I Support Cold Food" (meaning, food that's served cold - not food that's gotten cold from sitting around).
I always wonder when people write this sort of thing (not singling you out, Alicia), how much of one's life does this consume, anyhow? Are you all really eating out every day, or multiple meals a day, to the point that it needs to be complained about all over message boards? Nouveau-chunky dessert bars -- wouldn't it be simple, and cheaper, to take 15 minutes to bake some at home? Bakeries with salads -- doesn't just about every place in existence sell some variation of these, and aren't there salad bars in every grocery store now? Artsy new American fusion-ish cuisine -- does that even mean anything? Reading those weird restaurant reviews in the Sunday Post magazine, it seems like that's what every other restaurant is serving. As for supporting cold food, well, there's plenty of it at the grocery store, and plenty of grocery stores at which to buy it.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaforever View Post
The entire region has forgotton its history. The locals have completely forgotton that they are Virginians instead of Northern Virginians.
What history would that be? Illiteracy, perhaps (forgotton)?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 17,907 times
The split isn't between NOVA and southern, VA...its between NOVA and pretty much the rest of the country.

Nobody, EVER, from outside NOVA moves here and likes it. The only people who like living in NOVA are people who grew up here and have no idea what a decent Quality of life is all about.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
The split isn't between NOVA and southern, VA...its between NOVA and pretty much the rest of the country.

Nobody, EVER, from outside NOVA moves here and likes it. The only people who like living in NOVA are people who grew up here and have no idea what a decent Quality of life is all about.
Feel better after that clueless post? There are probably more people who moved here from somewhere else, and stayed long after there was any job-related reason requiring them to do so, than there are people who grew up here and don't know what they're missing in New York, or Chicagoland, or Missoula.

It doesn't mean some newcomers don't hate this area, and leave at the earliest opportunity, but the premise of your post is demonstrably wrong.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM

3,489 posts, read 4,931,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
But besides taxes, what is it that Northern Virginians dislike about the rest of the state? What is so wrong about being a Virginian, and not "Northern" Virginian?

Also, a person from NOVA will get enraged if an outsider suggests in anyway shape or form that they are "Southern". That just seems silly and pathetic to me.

What is wrong with being Southern? I take that as a compliment. It means you have manners, probably.

I would never want to be associated with the Northeast, and I realize that Virginia is now increasingly on the cusp between North and South (and North Carolina is starting to feel it too) but I just don't get this "I'm not from Virginia, I'm from NOVA" bit.

The Northeast to me doesn't represent progress at all. It represents loud and brash and tacky.
How many women have ever been elected in political office in Virginia ? Almost none. Mary Sue Terry was defeated because of the gun issue. Maryland by contrast has had a great many women Congressmen, a Senator, a Lieutenant Gov, and candidates for Governor.

Even after being the site of THE worst school shooting in American history, why does VA still insist on letting criminals buy guns at "gun shows" with no background checks ? This is a thoughtless insult to all the victims at Blacksburg. Furthermore, VA is the #1 supplier of guns to criminals in NYC.

Until recently, VA had something like the second-lowest tax in the country on cigarettes and tobacco. Now at least they've increased it a little.

And how about Prince Edward County shutting down its whole school system in the 1950s, preventing blacks from getting an education, and then paying to subsidize white students to attend the private school ?

Last edited by slowlane3; 06-08-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
How many women have ever been elected in political office in Virginia ? Almost none. Mary Sue Terry was defeated because of the gun issue. Maryland by contrast has had a great many women Congressmen, a Senator, a Lieutenant Gov, and candidates for Governor..
too be fair, I think Leslie Byrne had a shot at Morans seat a few years back, ISTR in 2002.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM

660 posts, read 1,499,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
How many women have ever been elected in political office in Virginia ? Almost none. Mary Sue Terry was defeated because of the gun issue. Maryland by contrast has had a great many women Congressmen, a Senator, a Lieutenant Gov, and candidates for Governor.

Even after being the site of THE worst school shooting in American history, why does VA still insist on letting criminals buy guns at "gun shows" with no background checks ? This is a thoughtless insult to all the victims at Blacksburg. Furthermore, VA is the #1 supplier of guns to criminals in NYC.

Until recently, VA had something like the second-lowest tax in the country on cigarettes and tobacco. Now at least they've increased it a little.

And how about Prince Edward County shutting down its whole school system in the 1950s, preventing blacks from getting an education, and then paying to subsidize white students to attend the private school ?
I'd say that all of those represent the differences between Northern Virginia and the rest of the state. Any state dominated by Fairfax County would elect women (like Sharon Bulova), enact stricter gun control laws and raise taxes on cigarettes (it's not like we grow tobacco up here). If Virginia were to lose Northern Virginia, its politics would probably resemble those of South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or