Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,674,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Northern virginia is historically part of the south. Today its socioeconomically tied into the NE Corridor, and culturally is a blend (basically mid atlantic)

Kinda like Stamford CT isnt really New England anymore.
That's a good summary!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,674,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Are they upset, or do they simply interested in accuracy? Or, is it possible they just have a difference of opinion?
Indeed!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,506,399 times
I think the Northern Va./rest of the state split is probably less pronounced than the Chicago/Illinois split or the New York/upstate split---those divisions have a long history, and ours is relatively recent, so I guess you could say it's "getting worse." I suppose much of it is driven by a human need for some kind of geographical tribalism, although there are still many people here who can trace their families' histories back several generations. For a short while I kinda' knew the Lee family (Robert E. IV & V and their families---lovely people, by the way----they live in NoVa) through my boss. You can criticize a region's past (slavery/racism/xenophobia), but that doesn't really solve anything. You will always have natives who are leery of outsiders, but I think it has more to do with a fear of losing the best of the local culture, i.e., I wasn't born here, but I go back far enough to remember a kinder/gentler NoVa, with real Southern manners and a pervasive neighborliness that I don't see much anymore. I like living in the current NoVa, with its international (and more tolerant) vibe, but I can understand the feelings of the old-timers who miss the old NoVa.

Last edited by smithy77; 06-10-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,875,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I think the Northern Va./rest of the state split is probably less pronounced than the Chicago/Illinois split or the New York/upstate split---those divisions have a long history, and ours is relatively recent.
Have to disagree with the Chicago example, unless you're talking 'downstate' IL (in which case I'd firmly agree ). Chicago and its western 'burbs have always had a pretty close relationship with the communities to their west (in fact, where the outer 'burbs end and the beginning of non-Chicago IL begins isn't always clear). OTOH, where else but in NoVA can you have one foot (metaphorically) in a community dense with Southern accents and the other in one dense with Joisey-style linguistic tones?

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-10-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,539,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I think the Northern Va./rest of the state split is probably less pronounced than the Chicago/Illinois split or the New York/upstate split---.
well yes. Those are differences between a large city, and a rest of the state of smaller cities and small towns. That real difference in interests has existed in NY since before the civil war and in Illinois close to as long - and are over and above any regional cultural differences.

Until 1940 or so, NoVa was small towns and rural areas just like the RoVa. So no real difference in lifestyle, in tangible interests. Since 1940, increasing with each decade, NoVa has become more different from RoVa in lifestyle and economy and urban form. These are changes of tangible interests and would be true even if every single resident of NoVa spoke with a Richmond accent and had a portrait of Stonewall above the fire place.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM

223 posts, read 1,172,071 times
I find it interesting that several posts here assume "RoVA" is some large homogeneous area distinct from NoVA.

I've lived in Virginia on and off for past eleven years and recently moved back -- probably for good. I like Virginia quite a bit. A large reason for my attraction to the Commonwealth is that it contains a number of diverse areas which I believe are unique unto themselves. Yes, NoVA is distinct and doesn't feel like Richmond; however, Richmond doesn't feel like Hampton Roads; Hampton Roads doesn't feel like Southwest Virginia; Southwest Virginia doesn't feel like NoVA, and so forth. I guess I'm trying to understand what this "RoVA" encompasses. If it's meant to describe some rather homogeneous Southern-influenced Virginia of which NoVA is no longer part, then I don't buy it. Maybe NoVA is a little more distinct than other parts of Virginia, but I think the whole Commonwealth is too diverse to be lumped into a "RoVA."

Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,041,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
I find it interesting that several posts here assume "RoVA" is some large homogeneous area distinct from NoVA.

I've lived in Virginia on and off for past eleven years and recently moved back -- probably for good. I like Virginia quite a bit. A large reason for my attraction to the Commonwealth is that it contains a number of diverse areas which I believe are unique unto themselves. Yes, NoVA is distinct and doesn't feel like Richmond; however, Richmond doesn't feel like Hampton Roads; Hampton Roads doesn't feel like Southwest Virginia; Southwest Virginia doesn't feel like NoVA, and so forth. I guess I'm trying to understand what this "RoVA" encompasses. If it's meant to describe some rather homogeneous Southern-influenced Virginia of which NoVA is no longer part, then I don't buy it. Maybe NoVA is a little more distinct than other parts of Virginia, but I think the whole Commonwealth is too diverse to be lumped into a "RoVA."
Excellent post. I have the same reaction--Nova is just one of several distinct areas in Virginia. I don't use the term "Rova" myself because it always seemed a little demeaning, as if Nova is so important it gets a separate term but all the other areas are not important or distinct, and should be lumped together. NOT!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,367,681 times
Quote:

Virginia is a lot like the UK in this respect.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 PM

26,695 posts, read 41,675,728 times
Quote:

I think the term RoVA is solely used so that Northern VA can downgrade the rest of the state. I say this as a guy who has spent most of his life in NoVA and Hampton Roads.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,146,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Excellent post. I have the same reaction--Nova is just one of several distinct areas in Virginia. I don't use the term "Rova" myself because it always seemed a little demeaning, as if Nova is so important it gets a separate term but all the other areas are not important or distinct, and should be lumped together. NOT!
I like NoVA a lot, but I agree wholeheartedly. VA has several, not two, distinct regions that deserve their own names, not the asinine NoVA vs. "RoVA."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia