Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Congrats to Del. Adam Ebbin (D-Arlington), who was elected as Virginia's first openly gay state senator. And congrats to my fellow Virginians for making Ebbin's personal life a non issue (at least as far as I know). As far as I knew, he was just another politician.

Ebbin Elected: Virginia Senate gets gay member, flips for GOP: News section: Metro Weekly gay news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:01 PM

206 posts, read 432,498 times
Keep in mind he wasn't elected by Virginia. He was elected by three very, very blue counties/cities. That makes it less impressive, unfortunately.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 PM

414 posts, read 907,216 times
Congratulations to Adam! He is a great guy and a personal friend of mine. I've supported him from the beginning and I'm glad to see the progress he has made.I made sure I drove back to my old district to vote for him since I recently moved and was NOT allowed to vote in my new district. Now if only we can get rid of the corrupt and backwards people like Black. Sad day for Virginia in some respects, but a great day too in others. Hopefully Adam can help try to move VA forward, instead of backwards were some seem to want to be taking it.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
He came to my door down here in Mount Vernon and I thought he was a really great guy so we all voted for him. I noticed he won our precinct in the primary and the general, even though we were kind of strange new territory for him (he didn't represent us as a delegate and we were redistricted from our previous senator) so his walking the neighborhoods here paid off. I kind of have a policy where if you're the only one to come to my door and you're not a Republican I'll vote for you.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
He came to my door down here in Mount Vernon and I thought he was a really great guy so we all voted for him. I noticed he won our precinct in the primary and the general, even though we were kind of strange new territory for him (he didn't represent us as a delegate and we were redistricted from our previous senator) so his walking the neighborhoods here paid off. I kind of have a policy where if you're the only one to come to my door and you're not a Republican I'll vote for you.
Awww....it's so cute how one political agenda is permitted here.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
I'm not trying to start controversy, but I don't understand why this man is being celebrated here. Is there something that is expected of him that wouldn't for anyone else? If we are under the assumption as the OP said that he was elected with his " personal life a non issue", then why are we making it an issue now? He's a politician just like anyone else. I mean are you celebrating the openly straight leaders?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm not trying to start controversy, but I don't understand why this man is being celebrated here. Is there something that is expected of him that wouldn't for anyone else? If we are under the assumption as the OP said that he was elected with his " personal life a non issue", then why are we making it an issue now? He's a politician just like anyone else. I mean are you celebrating the openly straight leaders?
Sexual preference used to be a barrier to elective office. It shows our society, at least our little piece of it, has progressed beyond that.

Just curious, do you even live in his district?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Awww....it's so cute how one political agenda is permitted here.
Yeah, we're not real high on ... around here.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-12-2011 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: inappropriate "nickname" of the Tea Party

Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Congrats to Del. Adam Ebbin (D-Arlington), who was elected as Virginia's first openly gay state senator. And congrats to my fellow Virginians for making Ebbin's personal life a non issue (at least as far as I know). As far as I knew, he was just another politician.

Ebbin Elected: Virginia Senate gets gay member, flips for GOP: News section: Metro Weekly gay news
With the district that actually elected him, it would be no issue as I expect. Now Hampton Roads....different story.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Wasn't he already in office? Or did he run before and lose? I know that he has run previously.

Republicans have run two gay politicians in the last year and democrats have made a HUGE deal of it. Janet Howell sent out a terrible postcard about her gay opponent. It made my kids want to vote for Patrick Forest even more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia