Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,506,632 times

Advertisements

Im putting them in the title, rather than "piedmont trip" cause they deserve a plug.

We wanted an autumn in the country trip, and werent up for a hike, so we decided to go to one of the wineries we always pass on the way to SNP.

The day was lovely, the foliage past peak farther out, but still some color.

Went to grey ghost - lovely building and nice garden. People very friendly. Tasting was free cause of the holiday. I liked the Seyval Blanc, the off dry unoaked Chard they call Victorian White, the Bordeaux blend "ranger reserve" and the Late harvest Vidal blanc. The merlot was more intensely black cherry than I expected. Found the cabernet and the chards less interesting, and didnt care for the rose ("victorian red") After we had our picnic lunch, we ended up buying a bottle of the Victorian White. I heartily recommend making the visit.

Afterwards we found an apple farm up a country road and bought a peck of apples.

Went into Narmada winery, owned by an Indian couple where they sell Indian food alongside the wines. Apparently its the "kewl" winery up there now - the lines were long, and while we thought it was interesting, we passed on the tasting.

Then headed down to Culpeper, walked Davis Street, and had coffee at the Ravens Nest coffeehouse. Culpeper's small town walkability was interesting. DW craved frozen yogurt - oddly no fro yog or ice cream ships anywhere in old town part of Culpeper (coming from our neck of the woods where every walkable quaint place has lots, this was different). But we liked Culpeper overall. Ravens Nest was quite comfy.

edit: pardon, that should be "gray ghost"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM

617 posts, read 1,350,645 times
Gray Ghost was the first winery I ever visited. It was years ago, but they had a dessert wine in a half size bottle that was delicious.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,297,824 times
does anyone know where to get some of those apple and blueberry wines? I'm looking for something different.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,410,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
does anyone know where to get some of those apple and blueberry wines? I'm looking for something different.
Horton Vineyards have a lot of fruit wines, as well as chocolate wines. It's a fune place to visit, this side of Charlottesville, Gordonsville area. Welcome to Horton Vineyards

Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 AM

906 posts, read 1,803,940 times
Is Grey Ghost named after the General John S. Mosby? I love that guy.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM

414 posts, read 903,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post

Chateau O'Brien has a fantastic apple wine. Chateau O'Brien

I also got a fantastic blueberry wine from a shop in Harpers Ferry back in September but I cant remember the name of the place. Its on the main street in HF, almost directly across from the Appalachain Outfitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia