U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
I really wish VDOT would get on the ball and realise that the light on 7, at the at grade crossing of Sycolin is becoming a major issue. That is not going to get any better either, only worse. It is time for an overpass / interchange there. I have heard some rumblings about it, but I hope that happens sooner rather than later.
It's in the VDOT Six-Year Improvement Program. Preliminary engineering is underway and construction is slated for FY2014. (Sycolin Road Overpass of Route 7 Bypass in Leesburg)

Also, an overpass for Lexington Drive/Route 7 is in the Six-Year Improvement Program with construction planned for FY2016. (Lexington Drive Overpass)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,015,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
It's in the VDOT Six-Year Improvement Program. Preliminary engineering is underway and construction is slated for FY2014. (Sycolin Road Overpass of Route 7 Bypass in Leesburg)

Also, an overpass for Lexington Drive/Route 7 is in the Six-Year Improvement Program with construction planned for FY2016. (Lexington Drive Overpass)
I find it amazing that in this region when things are needed, they are generally built often sooner rather than later.

In the Pacific Northwest, I remember the seemingly endless environmental impact studies and all other manners of obstacles that prevented countless projects, some of which were in dire need for years and at times decades. to NoVA!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM

396 posts, read 444,875 times
Quote:

Great to know. Thank you for that. I knew I had heard things about that. Its also great to know that this will happen before the change will be obsolete by the time they make it, kind of like the mixing bowl project. That should have been done and finished in the 90s. I think the Sycolin rd overpass will go along way towards helping ease the growing congestion on 7 bypass around Leesburg. Often that backs up so bad it backs up past the flyover and onto westbound 7 east of Leesburg during the afternoons.

While I think the Lexington Drive overpass / bridge (assuming thats the one that is between LoCo Pkwy and Ashburn Village Rd) will help some, for that area to see any significant improvement its going to need many more upgrades. Think along the lines of Rt 28. Just too many lights in that area. Ideally 7 needs to turn into a larger road with less or no lights on most of it outside the beltway, but that seems like a pipe dream, at least as far as in towards Tysons is concerned. This would be especially true as eastern Loudoun's growth has been and continues to explode.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 14,541,755 times
Well guys I just want to say this has been an interesting thread. I wish I could continue but we're heading out the door for Thanksgiving travel. Happy turkey day everyone and if you're travelling have a smooth and safe trip.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 AM

19,178 posts, read 19,427,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What does "in the process" mean? Are you talking about vague plans for sometime in the future...
Grade-schoolers understand the meaning of the phrase "in the process of", and what's on the table are the long-term prospects of TRIP II, which aren't rosy at all. Take a look at some VDOT and county development plans. See where things have gotten so far and where they are going still.

Quote:
Apparently the people who bought it have a different opinion. In 25 years we can all get together and see who was right.
The people who bought into the Greenway were looking at annual compound growth rates of 17% for traffic and 26% for revenues as those had existed over 1996 to 2004. Numbers like that are now pie in the sky. Traffic has been falling and what remains of revenue increases have been in the single digits. All that backloaded debt is still very real though, even if prefunding for it has fallen well behind schedule. I'm afraid I'll be the only one to show up 25 years from now.

Quote:
Look at a map, they don't serve the same population at all. It's possible you may be confusing Greenway with 267.
The Silver Line station at Route 606 is at the intersection of Route 606 and THE DULLES GREENWAY. The Silver Line station at Route 772 is at the intersection of Route 772 and THE DULLES GREENWAY. If not for the need of actually stopping the Dulles Airport station, the Silver Line would simply TRACE the Greenway west of Route 28, just as it traces the Toll Road east of 28. And yet you tell me they don't serve the same populations. Pfft!

Quote:
Greenway does not move commuters from eastern Loudoun and western Fairfax to Tyson's corner--it extends from Dulles Airport to Leesburg. Exit 6 of the Greenway intersects with the westernmost terminus of the Silver Line. Therefore, riders from western Loudoun will take the train, and then take the Greenway west. I think the silver line will increase (not decrease) the number of cars on Greenway, since the only other road heading west from the Ashburn station is Route 643 and that's another road that can have congestion problems.
The dominant flow of traffic on the Greenway is eastbound in the monring and westbound in the evening. That's why eastbound tolls are collected from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm, while westbound tolls are only collected from noon to 7:00 pm for Route 28 traffic with longer hours for Toll Road traffic. What percentage of those eastbound morning commuters would you say has left the Greenway by the time it reaches Route 28? How many are still on the Toll Road as it reaches Tysons Corner?

Commuters eventually headed for a Silver Line Metro parking lot will use the Greenway as a last resort and employ toll avoidance strategies.. Everyone who can figure out a back road alternative to reach one will use that instead. Others will leave before 6:00 am or return after 7:00 pm. The second highest toll rates in the country will still be a powerful disincentive despite those marvelous 5% VIP rebates.

Last edited by saganista; 11-23-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I think what Saganista means (correct me if I'm wrong, Saganista) is that people in eastern Loudoun (like Brambleton) who use the Greenway to get to the Dulles Toll Road are going to be using the Silver Line instead when it expands out here.
Thank you for the partial translation that shouldn't have been necessary to begin with. Metro Opens Doors...and drastically alters commuting patterns.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
In the meantime I still don't understand what the resentment is about. Oh excuse me, I mean "the need to be critical" since the explanation the previous time I asked this was simply a side step of "I'm not resentful."
Look in a mirror, or review below the genesis of this thread. A long time ago in a thread far away...
----------
Poster-A: Are all the roads there toll roads? If so, how much do they cost?
YOU: No, just the Greenway and Dulles Toll Road, but I don't know what the tolls are because I don't drive on them.
ME: Here are the tolls for the Toll Road.
Poster-B: That's just the Toll Road. Greenway tolls are up to $5.25.
ME: Models of private sector efficiency. $5.25 to go less than 14 miles. Maybe someone should Occupy the Greenway.

----------
Someone was then so piqued and resentful over such humor that, even while recognizing the last post above to have been a joke, he felt compelled to rush off and create a new thread about it in which to express his flaming I-don't-get-it anger and outrage.

Quote:
Is anyone harmed by the existence of this road? As far as I can see, it isn't hurting anyone, it eases traffic on the public roads, and some people like it. So what's the beef?
The Greenway has every right to try to persist as a private entity for as long as it cares to. For whatever length of time that turns out to be, it will continue to be a legitimate target for criticsm of its business practices, including, but not limited to, exhorbitant tolls, deliberately misleading advertising of its rebate programs, and such twisted statements as that Motorists are not able to pay cash at the ramps for their toll. Yes they are. Almost every motorist will have in his or her possession cash sufficient to pay the toll. The problem is that the Greenway is too cheap to hire toll attendants or install the machines necessary to process cash on the ramps, forcing customers into EZ-Pass or the fee-laden use of a credit card. Just another example of the upside-down world of the marketeers.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

The Silver Line station at Route 606 is at the intersection of Route 606 and THE DULLES GREENWAY. The Silver Line station at Route 772 is at the intersection of Route 772 and THE DULLES GREENWAY. If not for the need of actually stopping the Dulles Airport station, the Silver Line would simply TRACE the Greenway west of Route 28, just as it traces the Toll Road east of 28. And yet you tell me they don't serve the same populations. Pfft!
The two meet at those stations, which is why people will choose to take Greenway to Silver Line (IMO). However, the Greenway then continues further west and serves people in Leesburg and those driving in from western Loudoun. The Silver Line does not.

Have a happy Thanksgiving, Sag. In the spirit of the holiday, I'll admit I exploited your Occupy the Greenway joke a little more than I probably should have. It was a shameless attempt to make a thread about a road a little more interesting (and it worked--for once people really did say some intriguing and useful things, instead of the usual dry 2-post thread that happens when we discuss a road). Your joke wasn't the only inspiration for this thread, but it inspired the title so I thank you for making it. And the nice thing about having a joke like that was it gave those people who did have a resentment against the Greenway a chance to express (jokes are a way many people express resentment). So again thanks for your joke and your other contributions to what was a very interesting thread.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I don't know whether Saganista's prediction that it will fail will come true. Projecting 20-30 years is ultimately futile.
I'd bet that you can peer with aplomb into the shroudy mists of the future and accurately foretell the final payment date of your present mortgage. I'd wager even that you have all the skills necessary to divine what the P&I portion of that final installment will be to the penny. TRIP II's backloaded debt structure is not much more difficult to discern than that. Neither are the already-felt impacts of its damaged traffic and revenue data, nor the various icebergs looming only partly visible in the waters that it must navigate ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I find the whole "Occupy..." movement silly, but whatever merits of the other "Occupy..." things, "Occupy the Greenway" would be sillier still.
I'm glad then that some are indeed able to appreciate the simple humor of the post that somehow gave rise to this thread.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Moderator Cut

On the other hand, the good news is that you brought up the VIP Program. I didn't know about it, and apparently this was useful information for a few other people, too. I've heard from one person on this forum who's signing up for it after reading your posts. So, even though I didn't care for the comments about "corporate fraud," I'm glad that you brought it up.

Last edited by Tone509; 11-24-2011 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: deleted orphaned response to previously deleted quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia