U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2011, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Reputation: 42860

Advertisements

Someone made a joke on another thread that the next target for the Occupy Movement should be the Greenway. They charge over $5 for a road that's less than 15 miles long, which apparently causes some resentment.

I don't get it--why the resentment? If you don't want to pay the toll, take the public road--it's not like there's no other roads and you're forced to pay the toll. It's a private business venture and they can charge what they like. Just like a restaurant can charge whatever they think their cooking is worth. The Inn at Little Washington charges more than McDonalds but do you hear people talking about occupying The Inn at Little Washington?

The owners of the Greenway feel their toll is worth it because they think road is better than the public roads. I don't drive it myself, but apparently there are other drivers who agree, since the Greenway is one of the largest taxpayers in Loudoun. They also give back to the community--they sponsor local charities, allow commuter buses to use the road for free, and they pay for any services from the state police.

No public tax dollars go into this project that I know of, so why the resentment? Every car that drive on it isn't on Rt. 7 so I think it's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 AM
 
19,183 posts, read 28,343,172 times
Reputation: 4002
Yes, it was a joke, but has anyone checked out the Greenway's great VIP cash-back, bonus-check rewards program? That's right! Sign up and you can receive a rebate of up to 15% of the tolls you've paid over a 12-month period.

Of course, to get the 15%, you have to average 120 or more trips per month for the entire year. That's an average of at least 6 trips on the Greenway per business day. Any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
3,829 posts, read 2,784,439 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Someone made a joke on another thread that the next target for the Occupy Movement should be the Greenway. They charge over $5 for a road that's less than 15 miles long, which apparently causes some resentment.

I don't get it--why the resentment? If you don't want to pay the toll, take the public road--it's not like there's no other roads and you're forced to pay the toll. It's a private business venture and they can charge what they like. Just like a restaurant can charge whatever they think their cooking is worth. The Inn at Little Washington charges more than McDonalds but do you hear people talking about occupying The Inn at Little Washington?

The owners of the Greenway feel their toll is worth it because they think road is better than the public roads. I don't drive it myself, but apparently there are other drivers who agree, since the Greenway is one of the largest taxpayers in Loudoun. They also give back to the community--they sponsor local charities, allow commuter buses to use the road for free, and they pay for any services from the state police.

No public tax dollars go into this project that I know of, so why the resentment? Every car that drive on it isn't on Rt. 7 so I think it's a good thing.

Is the Greenway paying tax on the 'value' of the land it occupies, or does it pay a percentage of revenue collected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
 
955 posts, read 1,922,509 times
Reputation: 550
the road is not better than other roads, just faster because there is less traffic due to the fact that people dont want to pay a $4+ toll/each way. Yes I am mad about it, because yes I can take a different route, but that route is longer. My taxes should be enough to cover roads in the vicinity of my house, job. Why should I have to drive extra miles because this road was sold to a private entity, yes im mad yes im mad grrrrrrrrrrrrrr lets occupy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
414 posts, read 787,063 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Is the Greenway paying tax on the 'value' of the land it occupies, or does it pay a percentage of revenue collected?

I'm honeslty not sure, but if they don't pay that they probably should. I don't have any resentment towards them, but the price really is a bit high. That said, I don't really take it much unless I have to. I know enough back country roads which are just as useful to me, and honestly many of them are more scenic and quiet.

I suppose one good thing about the higher toll price is that it keeps people OFF of it so it usually never turns into a nightmare.

I think it was just a joke, but a joke that probably many can relate to. Perhaps I would feel different if I were forced / needed to take it every day, but even then I still think I could find alternate ways around it. I think if it were a road that people were forced to use, or had no other route, then they might be in trouble for gouging people, but really , its a road that is there mainly for convenience purposes IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Reputation: 42860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, it was a joke, but has anyone checked out the Greenway's great VIP cash-back, bonus-check rewards program? That's right! Sign up and you can receive a rebate of up to 15% of the tolls you've paid over a 12-month period.

Of course, to get the 15%, you have to average 120 or more trips per month for the entire year. That's an average of at least 6 trips on the Greenway per business day. Any takers?
I suppose a salesman might sign up for the 15% reward. The typical driver would want the 5% program. According to their website, you qualify for the 5% bonus check by making 180 trips over the course of a year. This averages out to less than two round trips per week over 52 weeks.

They claim they've distributed over $2 million in VIP bonus checks so far, so it sounds like there are people who use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Reputation: 42860
They're listed as the 6th highest property tax payer in Loudoun. Which makes sense since a 14-mile road is a big piece of property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
414 posts, read 787,063 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
They're listed as the 6th highest property tax payer in Loudoun. Which makes sense since a 14-mile road is a big piece of property.

That is ALOT of acreage. Does it list how much acreage it actually is just out of sheer curiosity?

Maybe we should look into the 5% program, though we probably take it less than once a week now. It runs in fits and starts tho. Some weeks I might take it 4 times, then not take it again for a month. Ill have to look into it to see if it is worth it for us to enroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: The South
3,896 posts, read 5,344,320 times
Reputation: 2744
Occupy the Inn at Little Washington? Sign me up! That's sounds like my kind of protest.

Seriously, though, I don't see where the Greenway/Dulles Toll Road are any different than any other toll road -- The Chesaspeake Bay Bridge, the new Intercounty Connector in Montgomery County, the Baltimore Tunnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 PM
 
955 posts, read 1,922,509 times
Reputation: 550
I just went to Ashburn from Herndon using the greenway, it took me 10 minutes, such a smooth ride! BUt im pissed its so damn expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top