U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 25,830 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We are looking to buy a house in the Gainesville/Haymarket area and have been shy about the Gainesville area with the new Patriot High School. I am hoping someone can help us since it's so new and I'm not coming up with much on my research. We are concerned that the school doesn't seem to be offering much in the way of college prep. Yes, there is AP Scholars but there are programs that seem to be focused towards "trade" rather than college bound students. Please help me and tell me I'm wrong and missing something! I feel like it can't be like that and I'm missing something. The houses in Gainesville zoned for that school are not low end housing-making assumption that the kids are college bound because their parents were given the price point of the homes. I hope this makes sense. When we looked at some homes everyone gets excited about the new school and we see the pictures and it is gorgeous but I'm looking for the quality of education. I hope someone can help me. We love the Saranac, Lake Manassas and Virginia Oaks neighborhoods and they all look like they go to Patriot. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:27 AM

29 posts, read 62,140 times
We live in Gainesville and my son is a freshman at Patriot. So far we've been VERY happy with the school. While a couple of the specialty programs are geared more towards trades, i.e., the culinary school, I wouldn't necessary think that kids in these are not ultimately headed to college. My son has a friend in the culinary program, and he is planning on heading to college in three years. Honestly, I can't think of one of my son's friends who isn't planning on spending four years in college after high school.

I think Patriot is very similar to Battlefield in terms of the kids that go there, the involvement of families, etc. Heck, half the kids would have gone to Battlefield if Patriot hadn't opened this year.

I've been very impressed with the principal, teachers, etc. The school is stunning, and there are tons of opportunities for the kids.

Let me know if you have more specific questions!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 AM

25 posts, read 76,791 times
Quote:
We are concerned that the school doesn't seem to be offering much in the way of college prep. Yes, there is AP Scholars but there are programs that seem to be focused towards "trade" rather than college bound students. Please help me and tell me I'm wrong and missing something! I feel like it can't be like that and I'm missing something.
Why does this concern you, and what exactly do you not understand about it?

All PWC High Schools offer AP programs in most academic courses as well as Technical and Trade Skills programs. The AP programs focus on all core College Prep General Education requirements. Whereas the Technical/Trade Skills curriculum focus on real world work experience, hands on training, and the practical application of those skill sets. This allows those College Bound AP Scholars to learn and apply real job skills and knowledge that potential employers look for and usually require for any prospective Degree holding (Non-Exempt) employee.

I believe your concerns are a bit misplaced regarding this practice. The truth of the matter is Western PWC, the area you are concerned about, has a proven track record of being the best in the County in not only their AP Programs and Trade/Technical programs; but their Gifted Talented and Special Education programs as well. Patriot High according PWCS is ranked 4th in the County, tied with Battlefield High and Osbourn Park High. All three schools are ranked around 53rd in the Commonwealth of Virginia out of its 324 High Schools.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,614,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAutistic View Post
Why does this concern you, and what exactly do you not understand about it?

All PWC High Schools offer AP programs in most academic courses as well as Technical and Trade Skills programs. The AP programs focus on all core College Prep General Education requirements. Whereas the Technical/Trade Skills curriculum focus on real world work experience, hands on training, and the practical application of those skill sets. This allows those College Bound AP Scholars to learn and apply real job skills and knowledge that potential employers look for and usually require for any prospective Degree holding (Non-Exempt) employee.

I believe your concerns are a bit misplaced regarding this practice. The truth of the matter is Western PWC, the area you are concerned about, has a proven track record of being the best in the County in not only their AP Programs and Trade/Technical programs; but their Gifted Talented and Special Education programs as well. Patriot High according PWCS is ranked 4th in the County, tied with Battlefield High and Osbourn Park High. All three schools are ranked around 53rd in the Commonwealth of Virginia out of its 324 High Schools.
It's ranked? Isn't this the first year that it's been open?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It's ranked? Isn't this the first year that it's been open?
At the moment its ranking is based upon Benchmark Testing. Whether that holds true through the rest of the School year when things like SOL Scores, PSAT, SAT, scores et'al, we will have to wait and see. Likewise, as most of the Students attending Patriot High came from Battlefield, Osbourn Park, etc. I'm sure they used an arrogate formula from those particular students test scores and whatnot to guesstimate the rankings.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
Didn't it draw from Battlefield and Brentsville? I'd have zero problem with going there and would wonder why the existence of programs other than college preps bothers the OP.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
We have a similar set-up (AP and trade program) at some of the Fairfax County High Schools. It's fine. I almost wonder if nowadays the kids in the trade program will end up doing better financially than the college preps. America needs to get over this obsession with every kid going to a four year college and branding those who don't as failures. The dual track system works great in Germany. It should be expanded here. To be perfectly honest, there's really little need for IT people to get a four year degree. Perhaps expanding the trade programs into that field would up their cache.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,614,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAutistic View Post
At the moment its ranking is based upon Benchmark Testing. Whether that holds true through the rest of the School year when things like SOL Scores, PSAT, SAT, scores et'al, we will have to wait and see. Likewise, as most of the Students attending Patriot High came from Battlefield, Osbourn Park, etc. I'm sure they used an arrogate formula from those particular students test scores and whatnot to guesstimate the rankings.
okay. That makes sense.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
We have a similar set-up (AP and trade program) at some of the Fairfax County High Schools. It's fine. I almost wonder if nowadays the kids in the trade program will end up doing better financially than the college preps. America needs to get over this obsession with every kid going to a four year college and branding those who don't as failures. The dual track system works great in Germany. It should be expanded here. To be perfectly honest, there's really little need for IT people to get a four year degree. Perhaps expanding the trade programs into that field would up their cache.
I work in IT and agree with this post entirely. Those who can think for themselves and not panic when things aren't going 100% well can do it, whether or not they went to a four year college or not.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Didn't it draw from Battlefield and Brentsville?
Yes, my bad.
Was hoping the "etc." clause covered my butt on that... LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia