U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

288 posts, read 647,142 times

Advertisements

>This thread, five pages about a question on a third grader's homework, is a good example of what life is like in NoVA.

It's even got Florida interested

And I still want to know the official answer from the teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM

560 posts, read 1,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Re-phrase the question:
The answer depends on what lesson they were learning. In the real world you would need 7 whole shelves. If they're learning about fractions, then her answer may be 6 1/2.

I'd recommend a conference with the teacher and grab 26 books, cards, or legos and put them in piles of four. If the teacher is still coy or doesn't understand the issue, complain to the Principal.

Thatís my guess, too. Half of the 7th shelf will be empty (available for other uses).

Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 AM

477 posts, read 657,457 times
Holy cow this thread is already 6 pages.

Yes..I agree that answer is 7 or 6 with a remainder of 2.

Anyway, I have emailed the teacher and waiting for response.

Hopefully we can put an end to this nerve breaking LIVE coverage

Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM

OK..got response from the teacher.

Student is expected to write 6 with a remainder of 2 just like previous questions (though this "question" in question did not ask specifically)

I guess, it was simple enough for all kids except me.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:23 PM

298 posts, read 595,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post

Student is expected to write 6 with a remainder of 2 just like previous questions (though this "question" in question did not ask specifically)

"Remainder of 2" ain't no shelf I ever heard of.

I can't believe I went through all those pages just to see that. The correct answer is 7 shelves. The teacher is wrong. I'm frustrated.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,119,231 times
Quote:

If the question was put the way you wrote it in the OP, then I would disagree with this answer. The question was "how many shelves (at minimum) would it take to fit 26 books?" and the answer is not "6, with a remainder of 2" because those 2 books then do not fit. By using 7 shelves, all 26 books fit. There is nothing in the question (as written in OP) specifying a shelf cannot hold fewer than 4 books.

6 shelves will not hold 26 books at 4 books per shelf. 7 shelves will.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If the question was put the way you wrote it in the OP, then I would disagree with this answer. The question was "how many shelves (at minimum) would it take to fit 26 books?" and the answer is not "6, with a remainder of 2" because those 2 books then do not fit. By using 7 shelves, all 26 books fit. There is nothing in the question (as written in OP) specifying a shelf cannot hold fewer than 4 books.

6 shelves will not hold 26 books at 4 books per shelf. 7 shelves will.
I agree with you and that is the main reason why I was cribbing about the whole thing.

I can assure you that I typed the question here, exactly that way it is in the homework.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM

371 posts, read 730,460 times
Quote:

Tell the teacher she needs to write better questions next time and send her the link to this thread. No need to ask permission from the wife. It's the cool thing to do. All the other dads are doing it!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
Tell the teacher she needs to write better questions next time and send her the link to this thread. No need to ask permission from the wife. It's the cool thing to do. All the other dads are doing it!
heheheh

Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 PM

288 posts, read 647,142 times
6 with a remainder of 2? That might be the answer to what is 26 divided by 4, but it sure isn't the right answer to the problem with the books and the shelves! That was an awful example to get the answer she was wanting to hear. Did ANYONE in the class give that exact answer? Give me her email address and I'll be happy to write her and explain why this was an awful example, and send her this whole thread along with it.

Now what is the next homework question??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia