Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_internet View Post
The radar detector went off a few times and each time I hit my breaks and slowed down, and then would speed back up moments later after the radar signal faded. This happened a few times during my drive only to find out that it was the cop who was trying to tag me. When I got pulled over, he told me that when a person keep hitting their breaks each time he points the radar at them, that is an indication that the vehicle likely has a radar detector in it, and it gives the cops Probable Cause to search the car if they want. I thought fast and just admitted to having one tucked away (he would have search the car anyway apparently since he had probable cause), and then I played dumb like I didn't know it was illegal since I'm new to VA (the only state where radar detectors are illegal, so stupid). The cop did eventually radar me at the right time for speeding, he was persistent, and then proceeded to poke around for the additional charges.

The cop also tried to give me a DUI because he smelled alcohol, but I passed the sobriety test easily because I wasn't drunk. This jerk was going for the jackpot. I have a bright colored sports car so I guess I have a target on my bumper.

The more I read from you the more I hope you are jammed up in court. Want a little cheese with that whine?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-30-2011 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Quoted text had inappropriate language

Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,341,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Secondly. You are so wrong on the tinted window issue. Once the OP became a VA resident the tint window law has to be followed.
Like I said, I wasn't sure how it worked in VA but that is the case in PA (always the possibility that since he was a new resident he could get away with a warning for that charge). You do have a good point about consulting an attorney before pleading not guilty though

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM

648 posts, read 1,330,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Also, as far as I am aware of (don't quote me on this though,
this is the case in PA) as long as your car had tinted windows in a state where it is legal to do so (i.e., California, Florida) then they can't ticket you for that offense. I would ask an attorney about that one though because VA may very well be different

It is illegal to have your windows tinted in California - at least in Orange and LA counties.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,950,635 times
I'm sorry but I'm a little confused by what the problem is. You were driving 20 MPH over the speed limit, speeding and tapping your brakes, have dark tints and have a cover over your license's plate, but yet you think he was targeting you because you had a bright sports car? I'm sorry the first thing you need to do is to get your story together. If you go to court explaining your situation like you are explaining it here, they will laugh at you. I think deep down that you can admit, that you made some poor decisions. At least if you can admit that, you will at least get some sympathy points.

As far as the police officer being persistent, what did you expect? Did you want him to ignore all those things? If you were flowing with the rest of traffic you might have gotten away with speeding but everything else is hard to run away from. The police have a job to do. We would be criticizing them if you had caused an accident and they didn't make an effort to stop you. If you are looking for someone to give you a pat on the back and paint yourself as a victim, that isn't going to help your situation. I think the best thing you can do is be upfront about what happened and just pray that the judge has mercy on you. If there was an easy way out of breaking the law, trust me, we would all be doing it.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,669,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_internet View Post
Anyone have any advice on these charges?
Yes. Man up, pay the fines, and follow the law so that the rest of us will be safe from you on the roads.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,260,136 times
Show up to court with your tint and cover removed (and images to prove it. Admit to guilt and explain that you are new to VA, dumb, and have learned your lesson. If you can afford the time, then you will get at least one fine eliminated/reduced which would balance out the court cost (which I thought you pay anyway). If the judge reduces/eliminates more than one, than that is good business. Also, show up to court dressed nicely and look like you are taking this seriously as opposed to just trying to get off. There is no guarantee, but that's what I would do.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,415,854 times
just pay the fines and chalk it up to lessons learned. I wouldnt bother with the court unless we are talking about a substantial difference in ticket /court costs.
Welcome to VA!!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM

100 posts, read 162,258 times
Taking a chance on going in and trying to work out a deal. perhaps taking the tint off would help in this regard - show them you've changed your car from a total cop-magnet to something more reasonable. Otherwise, just pay the fines, remove the tint, and put the detector in the trunk for trips to other states. A lawyer wouldn't be worth the money.

Seriously, a bright sports car with tinted windows and a license plate cover? With the sports car and the tint I'd already be setting cruise control for the speed limit to avoid getting all kinds of tickets ... add in the radar detector and you were really asking for trouble.

Good luck - I'm sure it's a cool looking car, but you'll probably be happier if you make a few changes.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM

6,534 posts, read 8,340,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
just pay the fines and chalk it up to lessons learned.
Ahhh...but OP has stated he's beaten or have had reduced several other tickets (in different states, of course). I'd venture to say lesson is not learned.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,647,745 times
I've always wondered how the heck this sort of thing is even remotely worth it.

On a 10 mile trip going 75 mph instead of the legal 55mph...LESS THAN 3 MINUTES is saved.

How many minutes are going to be wasted by a morning in court? How many minutes must one work to pay fines, insurance hikes, lawyers etc?

Just starting this thread probably took longer than the time saved by speeding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia