Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,727 times

Advertisements

I am a 30yo single female. I am moving to the area for a job in Manassas. However I am debating on where I would like to rent. I can afford to spend 1500 for an apartment (am flexible as to whether it is a studio or not). I will also be attending George Mason (fairfax campus) part time. I do not mind driving, however would like to keep the commute under 50min in the am and pm. I do not think I'd like to live in Manassas but I am looking at fairfax, arlington, and alexandria. I do like night life, mainly lounges, theatre, salsa dancing, playing pool, trivia nights at local spots. I'd like to live somewhere that I could easily walk to cafes, deli, coffee shops, bookstores, grocery stores, flower or farmers curb markets. I am flexible on this if those things are within a very short (say 10min) driving distance. I also like a lot of greenery, parks, walking trails, tree lined sidewalks (at least). Easy metro access is a must as my best friends are in bowie, silverspring, and arlington. And obviously, I'd like the area I am in to be a safe one (safe to me meaning that I am not witnessng people being robbed or shot, few car breakins, and safe to walk to the coffee shop I will hopefully be livin close to .

Any suggestions/opinions would be great, including possible apartment communities I should look at.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglsl1 View Post
I am a 30yo single female. I am moving to the area for a job in Manassas. However I am debating on where I would like to rent. I can afford to spend 1500 for an apartment (am flexible as to whether it is a studio or not). I will also be attending George Mason (fairfax campus) part time. I do not mind driving, however would like to keep the commute under 50min in the am and pm. I do not think I'd like to live in Manassas but I am looking at fairfax, arlington, and alexandria. I do like night life, mainly lounges, theatre, salsa dancing, playing pool, trivia nights at local spots. I'd like to live somewhere that I could easily walk to cafes, deli, coffee shops, bookstores, grocery stores, flower or farmers curb markets. I am flexible on this if those things are within a very short (say 10min) driving distance. I also like a lot of greenery, parks, walking trails, tree lined sidewalks (at least). Easy metro access is a must as my best friends are in bowie, silverspring, and arlington. And obviously, I'd like the area I am in to be a safe one (safe to me meaning that I am not witnessng people being robbed or shot, few car breakins, and safe to walk to the coffee shop I will hopefully be livin close to .

Any suggestions/opinions would be great, including possible apartment communities I should look at.

Thanks in advance!
You're likely going to have to compromise, since you have a limited amount that you can spend on rent and the areas where you'd like to spend more of your leisure time are both more expensive and closer to DC than GMU or Manassas.

I might go on Craig's List and see if I could find an apartment in the CITY of Fairfax - which is distinct from larger Fairfax County. You'd be able to walk to some attractions in the City of Fairfax itself (though the heart of Fairfax City is rather small), both GMU and Manassas would be a tolerable drive, and you could drive to the Vienna Metro station when you want to go to DC or Maryland by train.

Alexandria (the good parts) and Arlington will be more expensive, and not a fun commute to GMU or Manassas on a regular basis.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I was going to suggest the exact same thing - Fairfax City. I think it has most of the wants on your list.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 14,727 times
Thanks to you both!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Fairfax City, the eastern part of Fair Lakes, the western parts of Oakton and even Vienna at a stretch. You want quick access to 66-West to get to Manassas and at least reasonable access to the Vienna Metro to get into town (Bowie will still be a challenge). GMU being in that vicinity anyway will be a short hop. 66 westbound in the morning is nearly always at a speed limit pace or better. Eastbound in the evening is not as good but still not usually an issue. There are plenty of nice apartments in that area for $1500 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia