Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,413,363 times

Advertisements

I am reguraly seeing new people looking to move here for new jobs, etc but dont think many people are moving out to balance this out..This is going to cause additional strain on our infrastructure and drive up already high prices on housing, etc. I dont feel adding a hot lane here or train stop there is going to improve things much. It is really the surface streets that get clogged up with traffic as much as highways. . How is Nova going to handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,397,594 times
Create edge-cities such as Tysons (already) or Ashburn (soon). Create high-density, multi-use neighborhoods near transit centers. Augment mass transit networks and options. Tax those who refuse to use it. Increase telecommuting. Forget the notion of "regular business hours".

As anyone who has driven around the region at off-hours knows, the problem in nearly all cases isn't that we don't have enough roads, but rather that too many people try to use those roads all at once. Stop doing that.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,303,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I am reguraly seeing new people looking to move here for new jobs, etc but dont think many people are moving out to balance this out..This is going to cause additional strain on our infrastructure and drive up already high prices on housing, etc. I dont feel adding a hot lane here or train stop there is going to improve things much. It is really the surface streets that get clogged up with traffic as much as highways. . How is Nova going to handle this?

welcome to the big city! Typical post from newbies

Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,501,317 times
People are leaving the area, they just aren't visible here. Right now, if you're retiring, this is a great time to move from DC/NoVA. The housing bubble has really devastated traditional retirement areas (ie, Florida), while prices here barely blipped. If you're a Fed or get some other kind of pension, your fixed income will go a lot further elsewhere.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,022,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Create edge-cities such as Tysons (already) or Ashburn (soon). Create high-density, multi-use neighborhoods near transit centers. Augment mass transit networks and options. Tax those who refuse to use it. Increase telecommuting. Forget the notion of "regular business hours".
I have to laugh at the idea of "keeping the illegals" but taxing the bona fide Americans for not using mass transit.

Normally I am a fan of mass transit but enjoy that being a citizen of this country does give me certain freedoms. Irony is a funny thing.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:22 PM

906 posts, read 1,805,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Right now, if you're retiring, this is a great time to move from DC/NoVA.
Or consider the opposite - retirees coming to NOVA, especially places like Loudoun County. Beautiful rolling hills, awesome weather & a true 4 seasons, good food, cultural events, shopping, day trips into D.C., etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:27 PM

855 posts, read 1,169,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Or consider the opposite. The NOVA area, especially places like rural Loudoun County, is a huge draw for retirees. The retirees will start coming in droves soon. Awesome weather, good food, cultural events, shopping, day trips into D.C., etc.

or they can spend their money wisely, take advantage of the lower cost housing market in a warmer climate with less brutal winters and use their savings for vacations and leisure. i haven't met any people who have retired here except for pseudo retirees who do consulting work on the side.

who knows! i just hope the retirees who come here don't drive as well as the retirees down in FL

Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,985,747 times
Actually I think Smoke Jaguar has it right. We're nearing retirement, and as much as I love it here (and you guys know that we really do love it here), we're taking a serious look at Delaware and maybe even Florida right now. The places we're looking at may not have every single thing that I love about northern VA, but these days if you want to retire you have to make a few compromises. It's a good time to sell our big house here and buy a much smaller and less expensive place elsewhere. When you're retiring, you have to be a little more frugal--or at least we do.

(Of course, to be fair, I do know some people who have moved here for retirement. If you can afford a retirement here, this is a nice place to be.)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:31 PM

947 posts, read 1,394,877 times
About 40 years or so ago during the Nixon era, a proposal was floated to decentralize the federal government and disperse most cabinet-level departments throughout the U.S., e.g. put HHS in Atlanta, Education in Boston, Transportation in Los Angeles, etc. Only the "Core Four" (no, not Jeter, Posada, Rivera, and Pettitte!) of State, Defense, Justice, and Treasury would remain in Washington. Needless to say, this trial balloon never went anywhere. Still, it's interesting to consider what impact such an idea would have had. Presumably, several tens of thousands of federal workers, plus their families, would have left the area, not to mention assorted contractors and businesses that dealt with these federal departments. I realize that these days Washington is not such a one-industry town any more, but back then it was and I think it would have had a significant impact on population growth and development.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM

169 posts, read 336,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
but rather that too many people try to use those roads all at once. Stop doing that.
Much easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia