U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 11:09 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,251,495 times

Advertisements

I understand that people are trying to get to their holiday shopping but I get more and more flustered driving in Woodbridge. It's like the people down there don't know how to drive at all. I went through several shopping centers last weekend and there were people who were stopping where there weren't any stop signs and then people running stop signs. There is no wonder why there is always traffic in Woodbridge. I'm assuming the diverse population of people who aren't native to this country has a lot to do with it, but sometimes I sit there and go . I was in Potomac Town Center when I was at an intersection that had 4 way stop signs. Well this woman got there before me and so she went first. She started going straight then she made this huge U-turn in the middle of the intersection to turn her vehicle a different direction when she could have just made a right turn to go in the same direction. Am I the only one who noticed how bad the driving is in Woodbridge?

Last edited by justtitans; 11-29-2011 at 12:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 14,637 times
Yep, I see a lot of bad drivers in Woodbridge and Manassas . I was in Reston yesterday and was amazed at how many people used turn signals while switching lanes!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM

127 posts, read 319,907 times
Totally agree!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM

518 posts, read 822,217 times
I don't think that Woodbridge has the worst drivers, but I do think that the infrastructure for driving in Woodbridge is pretty heinous. Roads created for a fraction of the traffic using them. Poor management of traffic during peak times. Limited selection of alternate routes during incidents. I believe that these factors contribute more to the poor driving exhibited than the skill of said drivers. As for U-turn lady, sounds like a case GPS addiction to me.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM

3,133 posts, read 6,655,554 times
I don't know if it's Woodbridge, or just Silly Holiday Idiots That Suck at driving...

Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,425,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I don't know if it's Woodbridge, or just Silly Holiday Idiots That Suck at driving...
Some of Those were on the Beltway around lunchtime today.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 PM

455 posts, read 1,060,207 times
I guess you have never been to Herndon then. Consistently the worst drivers....and this is what I have observed when I'm out and about on my lunch break almost daily. Amen I don't live there.

Red light runners, total disregard for traffic signs (no left turns, no u-turns), the infamous u-turn on red, and my biggest pet peeve......they would rather run you down in a crosswalk WITH the walk signal than have to slow down/stop for you. I can't tell you the number of times I have come close to getting hit.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 PM

2,730 posts, read 7,591,006 times
what are you gonna do? It's a big city, get used to it.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM

10,645 posts, read 12,864,029 times
Since I live in Woodbridge, I will take great umbrage at your statement.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see it as any worse than anywhere else. In fact, the handful of times that I have had to drive around Fairfax (Lee Highway area) as well as through all the Fairlakes Parkway Area, I'm just beside myself. I think it is HORRIBLE there.

I find Woodbridge driving to be fairly uncomplicated unless I happen to be on the dreaded Rt. 1 corridor.

Now, as for the area around Wegman's which is what I guess is the Potomac Town Center, I have found that people, anywhere, do not know how to deal with a 4-way stop. There is an idiot in every crowd, and since Wegman's in Woodbridge seems to attract those from South Fairfax County, North Stafford, Quantico, etc, I don't see how you can blame it on one city.

My real pet peeve those is those who do get in an intersection and realize they aren't where they need to be and do stupid crap like you posted. Rather than just turn themselves around appropriately, they make these dangerous moves that just leave me .

I will guarantee you that it is no better or worse in Woodbridge. I do think that when you go to an area that you aren't familiar with, it does exacerbate your driving frustrations because of the unfamiliar territory so I think you do notice more. Because I really don't think the driving is worse in Fairfax as I stated above. But it does seem that way.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,192,553 times
Huh...and I always thought the worst traffic was in Manassas, but that's probably because I live there! Haha Woodbridge didn't seem all that bad when I was driving around in the summer, but it is possibly due to the winter season. Things get crazy everywhere this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia