U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 AM

588 posts, read 1,200,958 times

Advertisements

My nephews didn't live on post, but played sports on the Ft. Belvoir teams. They lived just a few miles off base, which was a completely different school boundary. They attended schools in the Hayfield pyramid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,074,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
My nephews didn't live on post, but played sports on the Ft. Belvoir teams. They lived just a few miles off base, which was a completely different school boundary. They attended schools in the Hayfield pyramid.
I think your husband would find his commute a little easier if you live just North of the base here in Mount Vernon rather than out that way West of Route 1. Either place though shouldn't make much difference as far as your kids' educations.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,635,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think your husband would find his commute a little easier if you live just North of the base here in Mount Vernon rather than out that way West of Route 1. Either place though shouldn't make much difference as far as your kids' educations.
I think Hayfield is AP, while Mount Vernon is definitely IB.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think Hayfield is AP, while Mount Vernon is definitely IB.
A lot of the kids here in Mount Vernon go to West Potomac which is AP, particularly if they go to Middle School at Carl Sandburg rather than Whitman. As I said, I sent kids to both (we let them choose) and it didn't seem to make a hill of beans difference.

The OP's husband could probably drop them off at West Potomac on the way to DC. School starts around 7:20 so he could be at his desk by around 8.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM

76 posts, read 272,519 times
Thanks for all the information. Gathering info now makes moving that much easier.

So another option we keep hearing - live out further, like Woodbridge or something to get a lot more house and get in a lifestyle community (that's what we call them in CO, don't know what they are called there.) We have several friends that have been stationed in the area and almost every one of them chose this as an option. Obviously the commute for my husband would be harder, but is there a payoff as far as education and gaining square footage? Hubby says the commute is a concern but not as much of a priority as finding a good school and community for the kids.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,408,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerspouse View Post
Thanks for all the information. Gathering info now makes moving that much easier.

So another option we keep hearing - live out further, like Woodbridge or something to get a lot more house and get in a lifestyle community (that's what we call them in CO, don't know what they are called there.) We have several friends that have been stationed in the area and almost every one of them chose this as an option. Obviously the commute for my husband would be harder, but is there a payoff as far as education and gaining square footage? Hubby says the commute is a concern but not as much of a priority as finding a good school and community for the kids.
I have a lot of friends who have moved from Alexandria and Arlington to Prince William County and have been happy with the education out there. As a caution they have been able to get jobs in PWC also so commuting is not bad for them.

I would say that you would get the same quality of education in Alexandria addresses or PWC. The thing that I think yall should consider is more sq ft worth 30 extra minutes on a good day? I had a 45-50 min commute to Louisville from Ft. Knox area and lived in mom's 5 bedroom house until July when I moved into a 535 sq ft apt 10 minutes from my job. To me an extra 70 minutes every day not driving is well worth the price of living in a small apt.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerspouse View Post

Not sure what you mean by a "lifestyle community". Perhaps you can elaborate? There are nice parts of Prince William County, particularly out West, but I wouldn't consider Woodbridge in that category. Don't be sucked in by the quaint sounding name. It's not that nice. If by a "lifestyle community" you mean something pre-planned with wide landscaped boulevards, giant neighborhoods full of newer tract homes and rec centers like you'd find in Mission Viejo or Irvine, CA, you can forget about finding that anywhere near Fort Belvoir. I'd strongly recommend you visit and spend some time driving around before deciding where you want to be.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Lifestyle communities can have varying amenities, but most have a community pool, a gym, and several parks and miles of trail for running and bike riding. We also had an indoor basketball court(s) and general rec area for kids to use during the winter months. Golf course too but that's not necessary.

We liked having the parks for the kids to play football and basketball and I enjoyed having the gym each morning with neighbors there. The pool was great in the summer. We just found it so easy to get to know our neighbors with these common areas.

My friend lived in a neighborhood with a pool and I believe she said it was in Woodbridge by on the Manassas border. The schools were good. I'm not set on an area, just looking for something like that with good schools.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Wrote two responses that didn't post due to "forum maintenance".

I understand what you mean now. That's the Mission Viejo private community model. Here we have all those amenities provided by the county (rec centers, schools, and parks), the US Park Service (Parkway trail and parks) or neighborhoods that have pools and fields for use by their residents. These would include Waynewood, Stratford Landing, and Holln Hills where you would have no trouble finding a nice house for the monthly amount you mentioned you have budgeted. Your husband will be a lot happier commuting from here rather than Woodbridge and I'm certain you'll find it a lot nicer.

The county rec centers here have indoor pools for use year round and one has a skating rink. You can buy an annual pass for a reduced rate as a county resident. The Parkway along the Potomac has a great bike trail and a number of parks along the way you can use anytime at no cost.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks CAVA1990. I'll look into those. Sounds great! I appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia