Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM

447 posts, read 743,095 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are still looking for a community to raise the kids. I loved Brambleton, but the wife thinks it's too far out. The community we live in has to be family friendly and have a vibe about. Meaning that the neighbors look out for each other. We are looking for a single family home in Fairfax County. Please give me your feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
That is WAY to vague for anyone to offer suggestions!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
You can get a house the size you want for under $650K in Mount Vernon and we have a pretty good community feel in many of the neighborhoods since they've been here awhile. I'd suggest one that has a community pool, which will result in a lot more interaction with fellow residents. Where I live, most residents only leave feet first but we're always appreciative of fresh blood. Quite a few of the homes have been passed down through families and some of my neighbors grew up here as kids and went to the local schools.

Keep in mind though the houses in these parts are normally over 40 years old, if that's a concern. They're generally well maintained and updated though. Some neighborhoods to look in would be Waynewood, Stratford Landing, Riverside Estates, Wessynton and Ferry Landing.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-16-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,357 times
A major factor is where do you and your wife work. Commutes should be a major consideration. Fairfax County has over 1million people so ther are thousands of neighborhoods. Loudoun and Prince William counties are both approaching 300 k people. Narrow your choices to the transportation corridor you will use...

Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM

162 posts, read 359,050 times
Remind us what you are looking for price wise. How far does your wife want to be from a certain location? That might help with the suggestions.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,347 times
Cardinal Forest in West Springfield ... a very tight-knit community

Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
You said in a prior post your budget was $650K and you wanted around 2500 SF. How about Oakton/22124?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM

447 posts, read 743,095 times
Default Community first

I know you guys want a lot of details, but I want you to put your blinders on for a sec. I am searching for community first, so brag to me about your community. Give me some DETAILS of why your neighborhood is family friendly. Give me an opinion!! We can work around traffic, and price as we have some flexibility in those departments.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,347 times
OK ... Cardinal Forest in West Springfield: very friendly residents, active neighborhood pool/summer swim team, neighborhood Bunco group, both boy and girl carpools to schools, cul-de-sac parties in the summer (organized and casual), neighborhood movie nights where one particular family hangs a big white sheet on the side of their house and everyone shows up in their yard, great schools, ton of kids of all ages. Love, love, love it here ...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
I know you guys want a lot of details, but I want you to put your blinders on for a sec. I am searching for community first, so brag to me about your community. Give me some DETAILS of why your neighborhood is family friendly. Give me an opinion!! We can work around traffic, and price as we have some flexibility in those departments.
I'd look for a place in the town of Vienna or Fairfax City, then, if Brambleton is too far out. Be a part of a guaranteed community not an anonymous suburban neighborhood. Reston would be my next choice.

The areas in Loudoun do seem to do a better job of that, but then you end up dealing with HOAs which have all the hassle of municipal government with much less accountability. Larger HOAs do seem to be better at being accountable simply by having more members/more folks to prevent the local HOA tyrant from getting too powerful.

As for the pools -- you end up having to wait multiple years for many of them, you spend $1k and up to buy a membership, then $500 a year for yearly maintenance -- if you and your wife both work and only go say 6-7 times a year that is like $75 per trip.

I'd look for one of the county rec centers like Oak Marr being nearby or a neighborhood where there's a pool membership guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia