U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM
 
477 posts, read 656,736 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

Sorry..I know this is a financial question, since at least 2 of the 3 banks in question are local to VA, I thought this thread is apt here.

OK..I would like to move my account away from Citibank to a credit union.

I already have an account with Northwest federal credit union. The only benefit of citi is their Bill pay. Most of the billers are paid electronically..so I just set the date and money it gets deducted overnight.

NWFCU also has bill pay but it is not electronic and not as extensive as Citi.

I would like to know if anyone have used NWFCU or Navy federal for their regular online bill payments. (Also I am not sure if I can open an account with Navy federal, I used their online wizard and none of the categories apply to me)

Is there a better credit union that his hi-tech in this region?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
 
477 posts, read 656,736 times
Reputation: 67
oh..well..I just noticed on NWFCU that they are about to introduce new account management, bill pay options in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly DC and Phila
8,534 posts, read 12,586,974 times
Reputation: 8305
Navy Federal is the largest credit union in the world. They have low fees and lots of good services. Their main headquarters is in Vienna, Virginia. We are members and are generally very happy there. You can use ATMs at any 7-11. I don't use Navy for online bill payment, but I'm guessing it's available. I do have other automated-type things set up. We have direct deposit there. We have money taken out from one account and put into another on a monthly basis. We also have it linked to my regular bank so that I can electronically transfer money between the two.

As far as becoming a member, you will need to find a family member that served in the military or worked for DoD. They would need to join. Once they join, then their family members can join. Once a member, always a member. We got in based on my husband's former relative. Once we were in, my parents joined and my siblings joined.

My only beef with them is that it can be somewhat impersonal and large. Recently, I applied for a loan, and it took several days to be assigned a processor. And then when I would call I would ALWAYS get a voice mail. And they have 24 hours to return calls. I know they are backed up with interest rates so low, but it's been a bit frustrating.

Other that that, I really like them. They have competitive rates and low fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
 
477 posts, read 656,736 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Navy Federal is the largest credit union in the world. They have low fees and lots of good services. Their main headquarters is in Vienna, Virginia. We are members and are generally very happy there. You can use ATMs at any 7-11. I don't use Navy for online bill payment, but I'm guessing it's available. I do have other automated-type things set up. We have direct deposit there. We have money taken out from one account and put into another on a monthly basis. We also have it linked to my regular bank so that I can electronically transfer money between the two.

As far as becoming a member, you will need to find a family member that served in the military or worked for DoD. They would need to join. Once they join, then their family members can join. Once a member, always a member. We got in based on my husband's former relative. Once we were in, my parents joined and my siblings joined.

My only beef with them is that it can be somewhat impersonal and large. Recently, I applied for a loan, and it took several days to be assigned a processor. And then when I would call I would ALWAYS get a voice mail. And they have 24 hours to return calls. I know they are backed up with interest rates so low, but it's been a bit frustrating.

Other that that, I really like them. They have competitive rates and low fees.
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not sure if we have anyone in the family roots served in military or navy. I will ask my wife and see if she knows any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
4,489 posts, read 9,539,474 times
Reputation: 3656
I was going to suggest USAA, but if you lack any military connection that won't help. They have great online bill pay options and such though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
 
765 posts, read 846,519 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not sure if we have anyone in the family roots served in military or navy. I will ask my wife and see if she knows any.
Civilians (and their relatives) can get Navy Federal too, just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
 
477 posts, read 656,736 times
Reputation: 67
OK..I did not see that anywhere on their site.. Probably I will give a call.

Thanks for letting me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,842,866 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I was going to suggest USAA, but if you lack any military connection that won't help. They have great online bill pay options and such though.
My understanding is anyone can use USAA banking services. You need the military connection to buy insurance from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Orange Hunt Estates, W. Springfield
628 posts, read 1,721,210 times
Reputation: 231
There are Apple Credit Unions in the area, but I have no idea what the membership criteria are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Aldie, VA
199 posts, read 601,072 times
Reputation: 92
I use NavyFederal's online bill pay. It really doesn't matter how the billers are paid. If they accept ACH payments, then the funds are transferred to them electronically. If not, NavyFed prints a check and mails it to them. There is no difference to you. If your biller can send bills electronically, you can even set it up to pay the bill, whatever the amount, on the due date specified on the bill.

NavyFed isn't as high tech as USAA, since USAA allows you to deposit checks via your smartphone, but they are making strides. You can now deposit checks via your scanner.

Another option is Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Anyone can join. If you don't have eligibility through a family member or work, you can join an organization for like $15 and join that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top