U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
i read that book by bryson (?) about it, there was some history, I am pretty sure it was done with hiking in mind. Besides the whole long distance evacaution idea is a product of the cold war, afaict, and AT is older than that.
Yes, Bill Bryson. Love that guy - he's hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
Walking or biking or motorized scooter would be your best bet, I agree. Perhaps we should all have those foldable bikes at the ready?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 6,239,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Walking or biking or motorized scooter would be your best bet, I agree. Perhaps we should all have those foldable bikes at the ready?
Nah that's what capitol bike share is for

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM

384 posts, read 899,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This was a side topic on another thread, and seemed worthy of its own thread.

If DC had to be evacuated, what would be the best routes through Nova? I think I'd take 66, although that's bound to have gridlock.
Hi Caladium,

This is a really interesting question. I would probably take Columbia Pike or Lee Highway, depending on what bridge I crossed over. Then I would bail out on these roads and zig zag my way home.

If the weather was OK, I would consider walking home.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM

41 posts, read 64,912 times
someone has been watching too many of 'The Walking Dead' shows.

if a worst case scenario ever did occur, getting out on foot with whatever you could carry is really the only option. the roads around DC can't even get people to and from work on a normal day reasonably in a vehicle, let alone a catastrophe actually occurring.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
It ends in Purcellville.: Map of the W&OD Trail

Great idea about the bike path!
Purcellville can't be that far away from the App. Trail. Why haven't the two trails been connected? A matter of elevation, I suppose?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,055,854 times
If I had to evacuate DC, I wouldn't go through NoVA. The bridges become immediate chokepoints and there are too few major roads to get traffic out of the area (VA-7, US-50, I-66, I-95, US-1). Instead I'd head into MD. If for some reason I need to head back into NoVA, then I'd go northwest on MD-28 to Point of Rocks and take US-15 to Leesburg. Alternatively go southeast on US-301 to Dahlgren.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,809,577 times
Quote:
if a worst case scenario ever did occur, getting out on foot with whatever you could carry is really the only option. the roads around DC can't even get people to and from work on a normal day reasonably in a vehicle, let alone a catastrophe actually occurring.
This. My husband works in DC and we live in Loudoun. He has a backpack in his office with extra clothes, food, water, flashlight, etc., for just such an occasion. If something catastrophic happens, he will walk out of there. I can't see anything else being a viable option. Start exercising, people, if you're not already.

I also agree with the previous poster. In case of nuclear, run toward the light.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Purcellville can't be that far away from the App. Trail. Why haven't the two trails been connected? A matter of elevation, I suppose?
My guess is they're about 15-20 miles apart if you joined the trail near Harpers Ferry (maybe 40-45 miles if you try to go to Front Royal). That was always my main reason for a bit of when I heard this claim. The AT is just too far west to have been built to be an evacuation route.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
This. My husband works in DC and we live in Loudoun. He has a backpack in his office with extra clothes, food, water, flashlight, etc., for just such an occasion. If something catastrophic happens, he will walk out of there. I can't see anything else being a viable option. Start exercising, people, if you're not already.

I also agree with the previous poster. In case of nuclear, run toward the light.
Interesting option. If he plans on walking, would he take the Heritage Trail back to Loudoun? (Or maybe the river trail on the Maryland side would be the wiser option, and then meet up with you at the crossing for 15).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia