U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,949 times

Advertisements

Im getting stationed at Andrews AFB, and not sure where to live. Ive heard good things from a lot of people about Alexandria, but am open to anything.

It needs to be no more than 45 min (in traffic) commute, preferably 30 min

2 bedroom, 2 bath no more than $1600

Safe

And preferably close to resteraunts, nightlife, etc.

Is this possible? Any ideas?
Ive been searching, but havent turned up much.

Thanks, Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,055,228 times
$1600/month will get you a 1BR in Alexandria. Why do you need 2BR/2BA? Do you have family? A lot of people assigned to Andrews live SW of the base near Waldorf/Accokeek. Waldorf is decent for restaurants and nightlife, if not the urban zone you'll encounter in/near DC. Alternatively, try the Chesapeake Beach area east of the base.

Last edited by Smoke_Jaguar4; 12-02-2011 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM

I dont need a 2 br, it would be nice for when family visits. Im married with no kids right now. I would rather have a 1 br in a place i like then a 2 br i dont like as much.

Ive looked in Waldorf a little. Im trying to find a place in VA though. Ill look in Chesapeake area.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:29 PM

384 posts, read 899,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob86jeep View Post
Im getting stationed at Andrews AFB, and not sure where to live. Ive heard good things from a lot of people about Alexandria, but am open to anything.

It needs to be no more than 45 min (in traffic) commute, preferably 30 min

2 bedroom, 2 bath no more than $1600

Safe

And preferably close to resteraunts, nightlife, etc.

Is this possible? Any ideas?
Ive been searching, but havent turned up much.

Thanks, Robert
If you choose Alexandria, the closer you are to the Wilson Bridge the better the commute to Maryland. Old Town is the most urban neighborhood of the city. There are a ton of restaurants and such. However it is really expensive too. If you don't mind a metro stop or two away from restaurants, I would consider Huntington or the neighborhood along Eisenhower avenue. Note, I highly recommend you check the crime statistics before you move anywhere. There are a few rough patches in Alexandria and southern Fairfax. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:44 PM

23,563 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
If you choose Alexandria, the closer you are to the Wilson Bridge the better the commute to Maryland. Old Town is the most urban neighborhood of the city. There are a ton of restaurants and such. However it is really expensive too. If you don't mind a metro stop or two away from restaurants, I would consider Huntington or the neighborhood along Eisenhower avenue. Note, I highly recommend you check the crime statistics before you move anywhere. There are a few rough patches in Alexandria and southern Fairfax. Good luck with your search.
I'd look in Landmark and other parts of West End Alexandria. It has close proximity to Old Town Alexandria but at a discount price.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
Don't know rents anymore, but the areas off of Route 1 close to the Wilson Bridge would be doable. I lived in the Huntington area of Alexandria when I met my now husband while he was stationned at Andrews. This was before the new bridge was built, so the commute was worse then from what I understand. We both drove both ways over the bridge (depending on whose place we were spending the night at), and even with traffic, the commute was not so bad. I'd see if I could find a condo or TH rental from a private owner - those tend to be cheaper.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,196,136 times
Try this website to find something - http://www.militarybyowner.com . It may help you find something in your price range in your area of choice.

**Disclaimer** I am in no way affliated with this site.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:18 PM

If i wanted something with a garage, what 3 cities should i focus my search in ($1600 a month max)?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
Quote:
If i wanted something with a garage, what 3 cities should i focus my search in ($1600 a month max)?
Kansas City
Iowa City
Omaha

Seriously, I think it will be hard to find a 2BR 2BA with garage for $1600.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,611,578 times
Quote:
You probably could find something like that in Waldorf, but I don't know how much you would like the commute. Waldorf has more so of your typical chain restaurants (Applebee's, Fridays, Bob Evans, etc.) and not much of a nightlife. What would you prefer more having those amenities or having a bigger place with a garage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia