U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,703,007 times

Advertisements

Utter9989, we lived in Colorado Springs for 3 1/2 years and Fairfax County for 6 years (air force family). From what you expressed in your first post, it seems like the Colorado Springs area would be a good fit for your family. Low taxes, low humidity, mild winters with easy access to skiing, few bugs, and LOTS of parks, hiking, mountain biking, and outdoor activities.

There are some evangelical-style Christian groups, but it's very easy to spot and avoid them and find the outdoorsy people like yourselves who don't push their religion or church onto you. You can private message me if you have other questions about Colorado Springs....

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-05-2011 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: off-topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post

There are some evangelical-style Christian groups, but it's very easy to spot and avoid them and find the outdoorsy people like yourselves who don't push their religion or church onto you. You can private message me if you have other questions about Colorado Springs....
Oh c'mon, Fern435, share! How do you spot them? Really big smiles on their faces? Or is it the warm welcoming hugs that turn out to suffocate you?

Personally, I think NoVa needs more proselytizers, if only to flatter those of us who like getting invitations so we can turn them down. All I ever get asked to do is buy magazine subscriptions and help high school bands/teams go to Orlando.

To stay on topic, we also had Air Force friends who had moved around (CO, TX, MD) and liked Colorado Springs enough that the husband found a way to snag a full-time position at the Air Force Academy.

BTW, if I get a vote, I'd say your NoVa experience was recent and lengthy enough that it is always welcome!

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-05-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: edited previously deleted portion of quote

Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 AM

799 posts, read 1,128,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utter9989 View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are seriously contemplating moving to Colorado Springs from Northern Virginia. As for jobs we will be making about the same financially (Maybe a little less) with much lower expenses on average. We are most interested in hearing from those who have made a similar move and your perspective.

Things we like about Virginia: Strong history, many beach destinations, rolling hills close by, wineries, green, beautiful fall/spring, close proximity to D.C, day trips to other major cities, schools, the many small towns nearby, the whole Northern Virginia area just seems so clean, Incomes are very good-strong economy, lots of healthy eating selections (whole foods is everywhere)

Things that we tend to dislike (but we manage): People (Not all, we have met some great people) seem very eccentric and very career focused (Career is important but balance between work, family, and outdoors adventure are my objectives), people seem stressed fairly often, traffic is very challenging (I mean very), summers compete with southern Florida, average home price (4bdrm. 3 bath, 1/4 acre) seems to be around 500,000 and still may require some additional workmanship, customer service seems to lack here.

What we are looking to achieve: Better quality of life to raise our children, "live and let live attitude"- everyone is interested in what I do for income , as always a friendly welcoming environment, hiking (wife hates hiking/camping in Virginia due to bugs and humidity), camping, mtn.biking, great snow skiing, wineries, shows/events, sense of fitness/health, boating with scenery, interesting small day trips, gorgeous mountain views, clean air/water (we like to be outside).

Thanks in advance for your help, this has been a very challenging decision, so I look to those who have made a similar move and again your thoughts.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I recently moved from the Denver area to NOVA. I know Colorado Springs well. Your wife will love the outdoor recreation (i.e. low humidity and lack of insects) and the Springs are close to a lot of world class opportunities. People are more interested in what you do for recreation not how you make your living. The secret of the area is that winters are easy, very pleasant.

Some negatives: The sun is brutal and summers are hot. Wildfires are a serious concern. Most day trips require driving long distances. It's spread out in the Interior West and can, at times, feel isolated. Big temperature swings in one day, along with variable weather. Experiencing 4 seasons in one day is surprisingly common.

Colorado Springs is a small town city. Even Denver lacks that big city feel. A funny anecdote about moving from Boulder to NOVA is how often people here express sympathy about the move from Colorado to Virginia. The grass is always greener and I couldn't be happier with life in Leesburg. That said, Colorado Springs seems like a good fit for you.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Oh c'mon, Fern435, share! How do you spot them? Really big smiles on their faces? Or is it the warm welcoming hugs that turn out to suffocate you?

Personally, I think NoVa needs more proselytizers, if only to flatter those of us who like getting invitations so we can turn them down. All I ever get asked to do is buy magazine subscriptions and help high school bands/teams go to Orlando.

To stay on topic, we also had Air Force friends who had moved around (CO, TX, MD) and liked Colorado Springs enough that the husband found a way to snag a full-time position at the Air Force Academy.

BTW, if I get a vote, I'd say your NoVa experience was recent and lengthy enough that it is always welcome!
Thank you, JEB77. Very much appreciated!

Regarding summer temperatures in the Colorado Springs area: It does get hot there, but it is a dry heat. It nearly always cools down at night, so you can exercise outside in the early morning or in the evening.

Give your body time to adjust to the high altitude when you first arrive on the Front Range. And follow the high-altitude directions when baking.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 10,683,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

Personally, I think NoVa needs more proselytizers, if only to flatter those of us who like getting invitations so we can turn them down.

Service Schedule

Be there or be square

or if wandering that far from Mclean is an issue, theres Welcome to Temple Rodef Shalom Its NOT as big as the McLean Bible Church, but about as good as we've got around here in terms of size.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,587,370 times
Interesting to read. My son and family did this move two years ago and loves it, BUT have a job lined up before going or be lucky to take your job with you. He telecommute and was fortunate to take his first job with him but since then has changed jobs and now cannot find work, despite an IT and security background. In that sense, not a lot different than other places but not as many positions as around here depending on your line of work. Just don't go out hoping to find work. BTW, despite the job problem, they still love it out there and are determined to stay in Colorado.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM

303 posts, read 808,142 times
I used to live in Colorado Springs and now live in Fairfax County. IMO, Colorado Springs wins in most departments: weather, scenery, cost of living, architecture, outdoor accessibility (directly related to weather). However, I prefer living here and the reason is the people. Caladium is spot-on in her assessment of them, and I never felt socially comfortable there. There are definitely exceptions, but the right-wing Evangelicals pretty much set the tone for the whole town. If that's your political/religious persuasion, you'll fit right in. But if you're more used to a liberal, educated environment, you'll have to hunt a bit to find your niche.

I can't speak to school quality as I didn't have kids when I lived there. But I still miss the views . . . .

Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 AM

809 posts, read 673,656 times
So, has Colorado Springs recovered from its self-inflicted bullet wound in '08, when voters' refusal of a property tax increase created such a massive shortfall in tax revenues that they shut off about 1/3d of the streetlights, sold off the police helicopters, pulled the trash barrels out of the parks, told families to pack their own trash out and virtually gave up on fixing potholes? CS was in the top ten of cities to live in in 2009; in 2011 it didn't make the top 100. It might be quite a change from Fairfax for you, where people pay taxes to get good services for a good community.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 AM

Perhaps this difference in communities is what the OP wants, and why his family wants to move out of NoVA. It's not a huge burden to bag garbage from a visit to the city park and take it home. Colorado Springs has a lot of parks--some have miles of hiking trails. It's a terrific place to live. Many people would rather have lower taxes, a dry climate, and a smaller government that operates within a reasonable budget.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

91 posts, read 236,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu111 View Post
That's funny.. me and my family are planning to move to Fairfax from California. I just visited Colo on a business trip and I was telling my wife that this is definitely not the place we want to be.. and that we'd be better off in Fairfax. To me Colo is just one big suburb other than Denver.. which isn't even a big city.. it is more like San Fran.. just your average city. It just seemed like Colo was out in the middle of nowhere to me. Also, it is so dry there that my lips immediately cracked and it took me literally 3 weeks after I got home to heal. Even when it snowed and rained, it was still dry!
I think Fairfax is a great place for schools, that's why I'm moving there. I saw a map where each school was rated and Fairfax is the only place where almost every school was a 8,9, or 10. I don't think you'll find that anywhere. My take is that there is no action in Colo, it is more of retirement community sort of feel. I mean there are lot of young people there but it is just weird. I'd rather be in Fairfax where I'm less than 2 hours from NYC, and closer to Chicago and Florida. Also somewhere where there is some humidity! Overall, the schools is the main reason we are moving to Fairfax, we are hoping my son will have more opportunities to grow in Fairfax. The grass always seems greener on the other side!
NYC is definitely not two hours from Fairfax! Try 4.5 hours+ and that is depending on traffic.
The humidity in the summer here is miserable. Last summer I would walk from my townhome to my car (15 feet) and was sweating already.
However, the schools really are pretty great here compared to many places in the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia