Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 55,439 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are seriously contemplating moving to Colorado Springs from Northern Virginia. As for jobs we will be making about the same financially (Maybe a little less) with much lower expenses on average. We are most interested in hearing from those who have made a similar move and your perspective.

Things we like about Virginia: Strong history, many beach destinations, rolling hills close by, wineries, green, beautiful fall/spring, close proximity to D.C, day trips to other major cities, schools, the many small towns nearby, the whole Northern Virginia area just seems so clean, Incomes are very good-strong economy, lots of healthy eating selections (whole foods is everywhere)

Things that we tend to dislike (but we manage): People (Not all, we have met some great people) seem very eccentric and very career focused (Career is important but balance between work, family, and outdoors adventure are my objectives), people seem stressed fairly often, traffic is very challenging (I mean very), summers compete with southern Florida, average home price (4bdrm. 3 bath, 1/4 acre) seems to be around 500,000 and still may require some additional workmanship, customer service seems to lack here.

What we are looking to achieve: Better quality of life to raise our children, "live and let live attitude"- everyone is interested in what I do for income , as always a friendly welcoming environment, hiking (wife hates hiking/camping in Virginia due to bugs and humidity), camping, mtn.biking, great snow skiing, wineries, shows/events, sense of fitness/health, boating with scenery, interesting small day trips, gorgeous mountain views, clean air/water (we like to be outside).

Thanks in advance for your help, this has been a very challenging decision, so I look to those who have made a similar move and again your thoughts.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 AM

43 posts, read 89,550 times
That's funny.. me and my family are planning to move to Fairfax from California. I just visited Colo on a business trip and I was telling my wife that this is definitely not the place we want to be.. and that we'd be better off in Fairfax. To me Colo is just one big suburb other than Denver.. which isn't even a big city.. it is more like San Fran.. just your average city. It just seemed like Colo was out in the middle of nowhere to me. Also, it is so dry there that my lips immediately cracked and it took me literally 3 weeks after I got home to heal. Even when it snowed and rained, it was still dry!
I think Fairfax is a great place for schools, that's why I'm moving there. I saw a map where each school was rated and Fairfax is the only place where almost every school was a 8,9, or 10. I don't think you'll find that anywhere. My take is that there is no action in Colo, it is more of retirement community sort of feel. I mean there are lot of young people there but it is just weird. I'd rather be in Fairfax where I'm less than 2 hours from NYC, and closer to Chicago and Florida. Also somewhere where there is some humidity! Overall, the schools is the main reason we are moving to Fairfax, we are hoping my son will have more opportunities to grow in Fairfax. The grass always seems greener on the other side!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
I was in Colorado Springs for a week a couple years ago and loved the place. I could see living there but it's a little too far from the east coast and family. Some beautiful scenery there as well as the the mountains near Denver which I was able to visit as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I can't really give you any good detail but my husband's friend moved his family from Los Angeles to Colorado Springs about 8 years ago. I was shocked because this guy was hardcore "I Love L.A. and nothing is better" but his family LOVE living in Colorado Springs. My husband has been out to visit many times and, while not the same as actually living there, he says the place is beautiful.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utter9989 View Post
great snow skiing
Stay in Colorado - there is no great snow skiing in NOVA!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 AM

76 posts, read 311,729 times
Funny to see this in NOVA section. We are military but have lived in CoS twice and will retire there in a few years. We left there a year and a half ago dragging our feet.

There is a city-data forum for Colorado Springs where you can learn a lot. We lived out in Falcon and couldn't have found a better place to live (and we've moved 12 times!). CO is great. There is so much to do, the weather in CoS is mild for CO and you are close to everything you will need. If big city/town isn't for you, look out a bit. Falcon is great. Look in Black Forest too, but you'll get a lot more snow that sticks there.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I have a friend who lived in Maryland and loved it, but then moved out to Colorado (when she was young and single) because she wanted to ski and try out a new area. She loved it there but ended up coming back to the east coast to finish school. This was many years ago. I recently re-connected with her. She is married with two kids and lives back in Colorado. They love it. Her kids love the snow and the skiing. Don't know much else, but they seem very happy there.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I would try the Colorado Springs forum to learn more about that area. I've spent a few summers there and do not personally care for Colorado Springs, but I may have just met the wrong people. You may have a completely different experience. The people I met were (IMO, of course) overly evangelical. Kind of pushy in a "tea party-ish" way if that makes sense. They seemed determined that everyone else share their POV, and I seemed to run into people like this wherever I went. But I wasn't there that long so maybe it wasn't a typical experience.

The mountains are gorgeous out there, and the economy seems to be doing pretty well.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 AM

23 posts, read 55,439 times
Thank you all very much for your replies-Please keep them coming!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Stay in Colorado - there is no great snow skiing in NOVA!
Oops - I misready your post - I thought you were moving to NOVA to SKI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia