U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,318,905 times

Advertisements

We've lived in the area for a while but would be relocating shortly but that's just one of the reasons we want to make new friends and build a larger circle. Of course, we are not in College anymore and are a family, so the "matrix getting along" as a hard requirement, is a given. Add to it, we are immigrants so are still learning the local cultural nuances.

In any case, what's the best way to widen the friends circle? We'll be living in the Brambleton area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,802,285 times
Dogs or kids are the easiest ways to connect with people in your new neighborhood. We moved from Reston to Fairfax/Chantilly right before school started, and we have mostly met people through our daughter's kindergarten friends/girl scouts. We also have some friends that we met through our child's old daycare. Yes, our social circle is mostly our child's friends' parents, but hey, it works!

Brambleton is FULL of 30-somethings with kids. I know at least 4 families out there, and I don't live there. They all love it.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,636,012 times
If you are in Brambleton proper, the HOA has a lot of different events throughout the year, geared toward different groups - adults only, kids, teens, all-ages. Informally, some parts of the community have block parties each year. Also, there is a lot of online meeting and greeting - there is a resident-only HOA Intranet site with forums, as well as an anything-goes unofficial discussion site, the Brambletonian. There are also Facebook groups for neighborhood watch, referrals/recommendations (businesses, contractors, etc.), and a swap group where people are posting toys they'd like to give away for the holidays, and others claiming them - kind of a Brambleton-only Freecycle. Another great way to meet people here is to volunteer for activities like Freedom Fest and Fall Fest.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM

837 posts, read 1,614,116 times
Invite me over for dinner. I love food. I'll smile and be friendly and I can bring wine.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 AM

639 posts, read 1,148,624 times
If you have hobbies you like, you should look into where they are and you will surely meet other people with the same likes you can befriend.

I know not everyone will fit into this instance, but I was introduced to one (just one!) person who liked horses like i do, and just from her I've met a slew of people; She brought me to the horse events she went to where I met more people; I just bought my own horse and have met even more people. And all it took was one person!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,012,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
If you have hobbies you like, you should look into where they are and you will surely meet other people with the same likes you can befriend.

I know not everyone will fit into this instance, but I was introduced to one (just one!) person who liked horses like i do, and just from her I've met a slew of people; She brought me to the horse events she went to where I met more people; I just bought my own horse and have met even more people. And all it took was one person!
LOL this is true, I am a horse person too and recently moved to VA (well 2 yrs ago now). Nearly all my friends here are also horse people and people I know through my kids.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,647,844 times
Vauser - if you are looking to make new friends, my best advice is to (and, I do not mean to be offensive here) get off of the computer and go outside.

Whether it is a hobby, sports, or yard work, these are opportunities to meet real, live people. You might even strike up a friendship with some of them.

We, as a society, have become too complacent and satisfied behind the screen, and look for all relationships and answers there. It's a shame.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,944,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I am a horse person too and ... Nearly all my friends here are also horse people...
Like the Sphinx?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,350,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Like the Sphinx?

Someone invite Carlingtonian to dinner or a movie or something, get him off the forum.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:00 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,012,976 times
dern it I have absolutely no idea what the joke is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia