Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM

42 posts, read 289,516 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

First, apologies if this is a repeat question.

I am looking for advice on how to best find a place to rent somewhere in Arlington or Alexandria. We currently live in a one bedroom apt in Rosslyn and are looking for something slightly bigger, hopefully, in Crystal City, Fairlington, maybe old towne, but we are open to most options either on the Blue/yellow line, or a short bus ride to the Pentagon.

Does anyone have ideas for good resources to find rentals outside of the typical internet searches? I am well versed in Craigslist, The Washington Post, and Padmapper.com.

Ideally - we would like a condo type place with 2 bedrooms for around $2k a month. It's hard to find, but i know they are out there; just looking for suggestions on how to find them.

How did you find your rental? Did you use you the typical Craigslist route? Did a friend help? Did you use a realtor?

thanks for the help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 PM

414 posts, read 907,216 times
For our current home we used a realtor. It took a while, but we found our realtor through some searching. Basically a call to one real estate company, led us on a journey through several, and eventually found our agent. Most places before that I have used Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | HomesDatabase.com there are some apartments on there, but more are home / condo listings. There are several sites like it as well. Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com® Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Home Prices & Values Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent

In our latest search we doubled our efforts by us doing searches along with our realtor. It did take a bit of time, but we found a place within a few months.

I would recommend starting out on the first website I listed and go from there. Short of that there is always craigslist or other such "classifieds" type places. The problem we ran into on CL is that somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the "ads" were scams. Where they wanted money / deposits...etc, up front via email, the phone or mail. CLEAR indications of scams. I was really surprised at just how many of them appeared to be scams. Basically scammers will look for places listed for sale and attempt to rent them. I have read many stories where people have showed up to look at a home, and either the home was already sold and had someone living it it, or the owner still lived in it while it was on the market.... things like that. In some cases some people were even gullible enough to send money up front, and come move in date either someone (usually an owner) was living there or the place was locked up and still on the market. In any case, just be very careful, especially when using any classifieds and / or CL. Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
You can also look in militarybyowner.com or work with a realtor. You wouldn't pay anything for the services, but it helps to work with someone who knows the area you want well.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
I've found all 3 of my NoVA rentals on Craigslist--1 house share, 1 apartment, and one SFH.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM

160 posts, read 279,449 times
We used a realtor to find our rental in Fairlington.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM

42 posts, read 289,516 times
Thanks for the help!

For those who use a realtor, were there any costs associated with it?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM

160 posts, read 279,449 times
Not for me. I think the management company or the landlord pays a sort of fee to the realtor who finds a tenant?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browns47 View Post
Thanks for the help!

For those who use a realtor, were there any costs associated with it?
It's sort of a "passed along cost". We went out a few times with a realtor, but the prices were higher than what I was finding on CL. The landlord generally gives the realtor one month's rent as a finders fee, so the rent is higher to compensate for that. You don't directly pay the realtor though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: