U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I can tell from the ads and the names
While I am thinking these comments are posted specifically to irk and cause controversy, I will bite.

How in the world can you tell a restaurant is snobby from it's name??

(unless, of course, the name of the restaurant is "Snobby Cafe", but I didn't see that one listed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM

6,226 posts, read 6,823,776 times
I've been to Rustico several times for lunch. The burger is one of the best I've had.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,545,697 times
if the name sounds like some kind of french high fallutin name like "fla fla fla dela floo floo floo" or something like that, I don't even need to step foot in there, I know for sure it's snobby

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM

448 posts, read 739,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Carlyle. Was ok but way too loud. Won't go back due to this alone.

Lebanese Taverna. Was decent but not as good as was reported by a friend.
For Middle Eastern Cuisine, I found the Jerusalem Restaurant to be better than Lebanese Taverna. Not as upscale, but the food is better IMO.

I'm also a fan of Mike's in Springfield

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
if the name sounds like some kind of french high fallutin name like "fla fla fla dela floo floo floo" or something like that, I don't even need to step foot in there, I know for sure it's snobby
So foreign = snobby? Is that correct? Only two French sounding names on the list. Loosely translated, they are:

L'Auberge Chez Francois - Frank's Inn

La Bergerie - The Sheep Barn

The names are in French, because the food they serve is French. Just like Indian restaurants have Indian names, Spanish restaurants have Spanish names, and Ethiopian restaurants have Ethiopian names.

In no way does the name alone tell you if the people inside the restaurant are snobby.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM

258 posts, read 769,949 times
I think the answers are reflective of the food interest.. I have been to quite a few or more of the restaurants- but we are "foodies"- - I love cooking but I also enjoy getting a break and just the experience. Alas- being a WM it's way hard to do this..

Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,753,415 times
Been to the The Majestic and I don't get it. There are a handful of things on the menu, all of them total "foodie" food (meaning kind of fancy and weird), and if you're a vegetarian forget it.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
For Middle Eastern Cuisine, I found the Jerusalem Restaurant to be better than Lebanese Taverna. Not as upscale, but the food is better IMO.

I'm also a fan of Mike's in Springfield
The Drunken Ribeye at Mike's is unbelievable. But again, way too noisy. I wear hearing aids and the crushing noise there can be overwhelming.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 AM

4,487 posts, read 4,353,419 times
I've been to many of the places on the list and the one that does not belong is Hooked. Just not good!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
My taste buds are admittedly bland as I tend to prefer American comfort food and Italian with occasional forays into Indian. That said, I do occasionally "pretend" to be a foodie and try some things that are outside my usual budget or comfort zone.

I've been to both Liberty Tavern and Rustico and was fine with both. I recall liking what I had at the former better but it may be a case of trying the latter again.

I had considered checking out The Majestic recently but after taking a closer look at the menu, I realized there wasn't much I would particularly like. Others' mileage may vary, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or