Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,616 times

Advertisements

same situation here, i have been offered a job in DC, but will be living in Crystal city, rent is about $950 all included and my salary is a base of $42,500 with bonuses and commissions, therefore my estimated earning is 55-65k for the 1st year. I am 27, single with no dependents. Do you think I can survive on this salary? I am not a huge spender but like to live somehow comfortably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
You will definitely be fine. You should even be able to build up some savings. If you're only paying $950 for rent, you are paying way below what the average Northern Virginia resident pays.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 AM

47 posts, read 310,659 times
I'll have to second the Leeland Station mention... I bought a home there and it is a great community. It won "Best Community" in the 2006 Parade of Homes.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM

47 posts, read 310,659 times
Default Wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I personally wouldn't have my family living in Quantico. The police there are only about two officers who aren't even on duty full time. The town is too far out for the County officers to patrol it for any substantial period of time. Not to mention your closest "big town" is Dumfries, and that place is a mess. Quantico is slowly getting better, but there are still some serious "issues" with a lot of the residents there. Hopefully it can get out of the section 8/welfare type rut it has been in since the 80's. Not to long ago that place had a SERIOUS narcotic problem. The Marines are usually instructed to not hassle people with the "town" sticker so the vehicle searches have long since stopped. It's a far stretch from a "gated" community.

This is Bad information. There has been (Since May of 07) and will be for the foreseeable future a 100% ID check while entering Quantico. The town of Quantico sits in the middle of two major commands for the Marine Corps. There is CONSTANT security patrol by the Military Police because of this. If you do not feel secure in the twon of Quantico, you will not feel secure anywhere.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
Is mid 70's enough for a single person in Alexandria?..

thanks
I would think so. I'm in the same position as you - new job in the DC area - and my position will pay about 83K. I looked at Old Town Alexandria as a possibility, and many one bedroom rental units there appeared to be under $1500. (I used $1500 as my upper limit that would not only allow me to live comfortably but also allow me to save a decent amount of money for vacations and a house/condominium down-payment maybe 2 years from now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia