Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times

Advertisements

As a kid in the 50's, I remember that there was only ONE Alexandria....and that was the incorporated City of....

Once you crossed Cameron Run (the Beltway didn't exist!) you were in Fairfax County. Heading south on US Route 1 you passed through communities with names like Penn-Daw, Groveton, Hybla Valley, Gum Springs, Engleside, Woodlawn....but they were NEVER referred to as Alexandria!

Businesses located on this stretch of Route 1 often described their locations as "xx miles south of Alexandria". It was much simpler time in those pre-zipcode days!

My favorite outing was a trip to Beacon Field to watch the planes...and they served a mean burger at the airport concession stand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There are also some nice neighborhoods at the end of the Parkway, off of 235 (22209 zip) that are part of the Mount Vernon pyramid. Same school quality but a slightly more diverse mix of students is reflected in somewhat lower test scores but I sent my kids to both pyramids and came away with similar results. Regardless of which school they go to, pretty much any kid will turn out as you'd expect. None of the schools around here are going to wreck your child's chances of becoming rich and famous.
Duly noted. Thanks for supplementing/correcting my take on things.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
Okaaaay...this post seems to have gone off on a tangent...thanks for the advice everyone. Regarding Del Ray, we loved the area but can't find any rentals online. Hoping if we drive around we'll see some. Thanks all!
I see a few on craigslist:

washington, DC apts/housing for rent classifieds "del ray" - craigslist=

Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 PM

414 posts, read 907,105 times
Quote:
Okaaaay...this post seems to have gone off on a tangent...thanks for the advice everyone. Regarding Del Ray, we loved the area but can't find any rentals online. Hoping if we drive around we'll see some. Thanks all!

There are usually some in Del Ray that do not show up on online listings. As another poster pointed out some turn to craigslist. That was how I found my first place in Del Ray over 6 years ago.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to Del Ray is that it is an extremely desireable neighborhood to live in. I would scour online sights such as homesdatabase.com trulia.com zillow.com and realtor.com on a daily basis. Things will pop up and you will get an advantage by being the first to look at and put an application in on a place. It will likely take a bit of luck but if you are diligent you will find your perfect place there. Best of luck!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Regarding Del Ray, we loved the area but can't find any rentals online. Hoping if we drive around we'll see some. Thanks all!
Now that I think about it, I believe St. Elmo's Coffee Pub right on Mt. Vernon Ave. has a community board where I've seen house rentals posted.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
I know I'm a little late to the party here but what did you find out Elacklen? We are considering making the move to Alexandria from Denver, CO and have similar questions.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchqueen02 View Post
The Prior poster doesn't know what s/he is talking about. I like in Alexandria in Fairfax County. It's not just that the post office from the city of Alex. delivers here -- that is wrong. My address (and the address of thousands) is ALEXANDRIA, but we are part of Fairfax County. If you are looking for decent elementary schools, then you should look for Hayfield Elementary, Island Creek (both 22315), Clermont (might be 22310 -- not sure), Stratford Landing is a GT (or AAP) center so it's scores are reflecting that population going there, and Waynewood (although I've heard from several sources that this school is more Wysteria Lane-ish). These are all Fairfax county schools. You are not going to find great schools in the "north of 495" sections or in Del Ray b/c of the populations that go there (not necessarily b/c the teachers or schools are bad). There are more poor kids... and that ends up with lower test scores than kids who come to school with a lot of resources and practice at home. Most of the parents who live in Old Town send their kids to private schools.
You do not vote in the City of Alexandria, nor do you pay taxes to it. You live in Fairfax County even though the USPS allows Alexandria to be used with your postal code.

It's the same elsewhere in this area, e.g. Tysons Corner. The USPS has traditionally allowed people there to use McLean with their mail, although recently they added a postal code just for Tysons Corner. However, neither area is a city. They are both parts of Fairfax County, and that is where your residence is located as well. And some people in North Arlington like to say they live in McLean.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,186 times
Quote:
Hi, we are coming up house hunting next weekend in Alexandria. Our budget is $2500-$3000/month for a rental, we're looking for a 3+BR with at least a small yard and more than 1500 sf. Quiet neighborhood, close to things, lots to do, etc, etc.
Our friend told us the "best" (his words) zip codes in Ax are 22307, 22308, and 22310, mentioning Fort Hunt, Waynewood, Telegraph Road, Kingstowne. He mentioned these areas due to their price points and ease of commute (to the Pentagon)
From my limited knowledge of the area, I really liked Old Town/Braddock Heights/Del Ray.
I guess what I'm asking is are any of the Ax areas north of 495 worth considering? What about zip code 22311?
Any advice on Ax would be much appreciated. Oh, we have 2 very young kids so elementary school is the only concern to us (and just barely).Thanks!
Clover, a section of the City of Alexandria, is a charming residential area with both single family houses and condos (some walk out to back yard) to rent. It's in a superb elementary school district. Clover is bordered by Janney's Lane to the north, Quaker Lane (roughly) to the west, and part of Taylor Run (or maybe it's Timber Branch?) to the east. Clover backs up to the shopping areas of Duke Street, and it is relatively easy to get to anywhere in this metro area from Clover. If you enjoy walking, you can also hoof it to the King Street Metro. Otherwise, it's a very brief bus ride.

The area north of Janney's Lane is a good family community in the same school district. It is straight across Janney's Lane from Clover. Both neighborhoods are within walking distance of the elementary school.

Janney's Lane runs diagonally between King Street West (which is up the hill from King St. Metro) and Quaker Lane South. Where it intersects with Quaker Lane South, it becomes Seminary Road. Postal Code is 22304, and the neighborhood is named Seminary Hills. Lovely community with houses of many sizes as well as condos and apartments. Very, very convenient to shopping as well as T.C. Williams High School, the only public one in the City of Alexandria.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDaysAreNow View Post
Clover, a section of the City of Alexandria, is a charming residential area with both single family houses and condos (some walk out to back yard) to rent. It's in a superb elementary school district. Clover is bordered by Janney's Lane to the north, Quaker Lane (roughly) to the west, and part of Taylor Run (or maybe it's Timber Branch?) to the east. Clover backs up to the shopping areas of Duke Street, and it is relatively easy to get to anywhere in this metro area from Clover. If you enjoy walking, you can also hoof it to the King Street Metro. Otherwise, it's a very brief bus ride.

The area north of Janney's Lane is a good family community in the same school district. It is straight across Janney's Lane from Clover. Both neighborhoods are within walking distance of the elementary school.

Janney's Lane runs diagonally between King Street West (which is up the hill from King St. Metro) and Quaker Lane South. Where it intersects with Quaker Lane South, it becomes Seminary Road. Postal Code is 22304, and the neighborhood is named Seminary Hills. Lovely community with houses of many sizes as well as condos and apartments. Very, very convenient to shopping as well as T.C. Williams High School, the only public one in the City of Alexandria.

Good luck!
I think the OP ended up in the Belle Haven section of Alexandria in Fairfax County, rather than the City of Alexandria, if I'm recalling a more recent post from the OP inquiring about soccer leagues correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia